GDT: WCSF | GM 3 | Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton Oilers | Sunday, May 12th | 6:30PM PST | SPAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
Lindholm-Miller-Boeser

Hog-Pettersson-Suter

Garland-Blueger-Joshua

PDG-Lafferty-Mikheyev

Oilers have a loaded line, play Lindholm with Miller & Boeser as a great match up line.

Mikheyev is a perimeter player and has been invisible the entire series drop him to the 4th line and play Suter with Pettersson & Hoglander that line was great when briefly put together in the regular season.
Could also go with the line that won the preds series Suter-Pettersson-Boeser and have Lindholm-Miller-Hoglander

And load up the lines near the end of the periods with the lotto line.

Only thing is it’s tough to break up Miller/Boeser because of the chemistry.

• Love
Reactions: Indiana

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I think you have to give it a shot. Miller looks great with whoever is on his flank.

The best Pettersson looked up until last night (and maybe including) was with Boeser and Suter.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
The three headed monster didn't work with JT-EP-Bo, it sure as hell ain't gonna work with JT-EP-EL, they just don't have the wingers for it, especially after dealing Kuz.

Whether EDM stacks a line, or rolls McDrai seperate, you gotta fight fire with fire.

BB-JT-Suter/Hogs
EP-EL-Hogs/Mik/Suter

Let the 3rd line get the soft matchups while still keeping Miller/Lindholm vs McDrai.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Edmonton game plan that worked (barely) in game two was load up the top line with Bouchard and Ekholm and try and score. Everyone else is just wasting time, try to stop any Canuck offense until the first unit comes back on. It was nuts to see but it worked for them. If the Canucks can contain the first unit, theres no way Edmonton can win, especially with Stuart Skinner in net

• Love
Reactions: quat and Indiana

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Need to find an answer for McDavid line or we are done. They are getting better.
Yep.

The loaded Drai-McDavid-Hyman line was essentially unstoppable. Canucks had no answer, and that was even after Tocc pivoted to basically all of his best forwards together as a checking line (we saw quite a bit of Petey - Miller - Boeser as a hard match in the 3rd).

The Soucy-Myers matchup pair certainly didn't work.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Edmonton game plan that worked (barely) in game two was load up the top line with Bouchard and Ekholm and try and score. Everyone else is just wasting time, try to stop any Canuck offense until the first unit comes back on. It was nuts to see but it worked for them. If the Canucks can contain the first unit, theres no way Edmonton can win, especially with Stuart Skinner in net
Yeah that’s why I am not too worried, we just need to figure out what’s the best combo to limit the damage of that loaded unit.

I think Dak needs to look at some tape because he wasn’t good last night. Hog needs to sit, throw in Aman or Pod

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
Good, Hoglander has been doing nothing but cardio out there.
We need some fresh blood.

I went to Edmonton twice in my lifetime, nothing against the fine people of Edmonton but it's your standard prairie big city. Nothing more, nothing less. You gotta dig deep to find something to do, unless you got family there...there is nothing much left there.

West Edmonton Mall got boring within 15 minutes, downtown is pretty meh. For someone who was born and raised in Winnipeg, its the same old.
Meanwhile it's a big exciting trip for me going to Edmonton from Saskatoon! Lmao

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
Skinner has looked very average. We aren't testing him enough. Plus he seems prone to mental fragility breakdown. Like you beat him once or twice and you're in his head for the rest of the game.
I think we can exploit this even more in Edmonton. He has more pressure on him to perform in front of his fans.

Reactions: Indiana

Leif Rohlin

Jan 25, 2024
I think you have to give it a shot. Miller looks great with whoever is on his flank.

The best Pettersson looked up until last night (and maybe including) was with Boeser and Suter.
It was one shift but it definitely looked good and the Pettersson-Boeser combo has worked in the past. Literally as soon as I saw Pettersson on that line for the faceoff I knew it would be a good shift.

I think you either go with that or lotto line and Joshua-Lindholm-Garland. You just can't keep trotting out Pettersson with black hole wingers.

I'd try those options first but if we look like shit in Game 3 and want to make bigger changes we could try something like this:

Joshua-Miller-Boeser
Pettersson-Lindholm-Garland
Podkolzin-Suter-Lafferty/Mikheyev
PDG-Blueger-Lafferty/Mikheyev

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Mikheyev is signed for another two years at 4.75 million, he needs to be bought out if possible, or traded for a sweetener, because he’s been extremely unproductive, I don’t care if he’s working hard

It has to be the latter. We'd be carrying 7M in dead capspace going into the season after next (2025-26). That basically means we're losing Boeser.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

Might see some shuffles in Game 3.

Good.

Much as we've all, rightly, dogged on Mikheyev. He is actually playing well despite being an offensive black hole. Hoglander has been borderline useless outside of a few decent shifts spanning two series now. It's a damn shame too because he looked to have finally taking that next step.

Hopefully, it's just a bump in the road for his development. This is his first taste of playoff hockey after all.

Leif Rohlin

Jan 25, 2024
Yep.

The loaded Drai-McDavid-Hyman line was essentially unstoppable. Canucks had no answer, and that was even after Tocc pivoted to basically all of his best forwards together as a checking line (we saw quite a bit of Petey - Miller - Boeser as a hard match in the 3rd).

Hughes is the answer. With him on the ice we were basically even against the McDavid line.

If we're going to run the lotto line for the whole game (which I think we should try) we need to make sure Hughes is on the ice with them. That makes a massive difference.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Myers has been playing some good hockey outside of that mistake yesterday. Would be a huge gut punch for the team
Did you watch game 1 on Wednesday? Cole was responsible for 3 goals against and Myers was still the worst Canuck. Last night Myers was still terrible 80% of the time

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Hughes is the answer. With him on the ice we were basically even against the McDavid line.

If we're going to run the lotto line for the whole game (which I think we should try) we need to make sure Hughes is on the ice with them. That makes a massive difference.
I do think Hughes-Hronek will have to be the adjustment as the new matchup pair. But with the series shifting to EDM, it will be pretty easy for Knoblauch to get away from it and maximize McDavid's shifts against the Canucks' other pairs.

We did see Tocchet pivot toward the Lotto Line as essentially a primary matchup line in the 3rd last night.

The issue with this alignment, which is probably their best way to slow down the Drai-McD-Hyman unit, is that the Canucks would be allocating all of their best players to the task of damage control. They're still going to need to play, create offense, and score and they're only going to have the Garland/Lindholm/Joshua unit to do so, given whatever combos of the remaining available forwards will be abjectly ineffective.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Did you watch game 1 on Wednesday? Cole was responsible for 3 goals against and Myers was still the worst Canuck. Last night Myers was still terrible 80% of the time

No he wasn't? Myers was fine in game 1. He had the miscue on McDavid and some sloppy plays in game 2, yes. But I'm gonna ask you if you watched game 1 because Myers wasn't anywhere close to how bad Cole played.

NetMapel

May 27, 2014
After watching yesterday’s game, I am surprisingly positive despite the loss. The narrative of this series was overwhelmingly in favour of the oilers and so I guess I was expecting us to get crushed like Bruins by Panthers. However, what I saw was a very beatable oilers team. Canucks were beaten by the incredibly effective and talented McDavid/Draisatl line + Hyman. More importantly, Canucks were beaten by their own silly mistakes. So if those mistakes can be minimized, which I think it can, combined with a possible Demko return later in the series, I don’t see us completely written off. McDavid and Draisatl playing huge minutes should lead to more fatigue for them as well.

We can only work on what we have control over, which is better disciplines and play hard. Overall, I remain positive and think we can at least split the games in Edmonton for the next two games.

Last edited:

beckstreaker07

Jul 2, 2009
Yep.

Nucks will need to deploy two lines against them with the hope of wearing them down over the series If they are going to be playing close to 30 minutes a game on the same line.

Reactions: quat and Indiana

aquaweenie

Feb 23, 2024
As much as Mik has no finish I actually think he’s been a better complement than Hoglander in the playoffs in terms of puck retrievals and possession. I’d consider moving Hoglander down instead and let him just focus on playing his game instead of trying to play off Pettersson.
They’ve both been bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad