GDT: WCSF Game #7 Sharks vs Predators May 12, 2016 6:00pm PDT NBCSN ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
The main criticism I've heard from analysts is that Jones has not really been tested these playoffs, so he's a bit of an "unknown" when the going gets tough.

Think about that for a second. Sure, that can be a bad thing, but the fact that your #1 goalie has not had to stand on his head to really win any of the games through 2 rounds of the playoffs is a really, really good sign about the depth of your team at forward and defense.

This is silly. I believe he's the reason he hasn't been tested. Look at how he swallows rebounds. Not to mention the high danger chances that he's stoned. He's had maybe two games in the playoffs where his rebound control bit him in the ass. Otherwise he's been great.

Just in the last game he did a calm slide back to the post and stopped a chance. Also when johansen attempted to bank it in off of him after getting stoned jones was really smart and got his skates to allow couture to move it out.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Just saw the play where Jones saves a goal in the first with his skate when it was only 1-0. :phew:

Didn't really see it that well at the Tank.

Rinne really didn't like that Ward goal celebration in his crease :laugh:

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
That was a smart play by Jones. He knew they were going to try and bank it in and just glued himself to the post.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
That was a smart play by Jones. He knew they were going to try and bank it in and just glued himself to the post.

indeed, that was a total mess of a play that he flat out killed off. earlier in the season he was victimized on it; i like that he learned and adapted, and was able to apply in a key situation like that.

looking into the numbers a bit, jones saved a much higher percentage of high danger chances than rinne; this is exactly what we need in a goalie. we got more chances and gave up fewer, so we cannot have our goalie getting victimized on what few chances we do give up (ala niemi).

jwhitesj

Oct 9, 2006
Downtown San Jose
Nabby put up these numbers and we were told it was his fault the Sharks lost. Kinda helps to have 4 lines, doesn't it?

I don't think there was much blame put at Nabokov. Nabokov was one of the most loved players in franchise history. I remember polls a few years ago and Nabby was in the top 4 of all time favorite Sharks. I'm guessing he has slipped a little bit with Pavelski, Couture, and Burns moving up. I think Nabokov will always be remembered as one of the franchises greatest players though.

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009
I don't think there was much blame put at Nabokov. Nabokov was one of the most loved players in franchise history. I remember polls a few years ago and Nabby was in the top 4 of all time favorite Sharks. I'm guessing he has slipped a little bit with Pavelski, Couture, and Burns moving up. I think Nabokov will always be remembered as one of the franchises greatest players though.

Nabby got a lot of unfair blame. He made huge saves, but then did let in some softies, especially 5-hole towards the end of his career. He got too much heat for the softies.

Jones hasn't been tested like Nabby or Nemo was in the past, but he's also given up a lot less softies IMO.

CBJenga

May 30, 2008
Nabby got a lot of unfair blame. He made huge saves, but then did let in some softies, especially 5-hole towards the end of his career. He got too much heat for the softies.

Jones hasn't been tested like Nabby or Nemo was in the past, but he's also given up a lot less softies IMO.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Nabby win every series where the Sharks averaged 2 or more goals a game? I don't disagree that he let up softies that were deflating, but you cannot blame a goalie for losing a series when the team in front of him can't score more than one goal a game.

jwhitesj

Oct 9, 2006
Downtown San Jose

It was a long time ago but I don't think people blamed Nabby at the time. Maybe some revisionist blamed him in hindsight?

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
It was a long time ago but I don't think people blamed Nabby at the time. Maybe some revisionist blamed him in hindsight?

There was the argument that the team didn't play as aggressively because they didn't trust him. Then again, the same was said for Nemo.

I dunno, I just think it's always been a depth issue, but I don't do much other than watch the games and cheer.

polmaniac932

Mar 25, 2006
San Jose
www.youtube.com

One of the few postseasons Nabby was not blamed for much was in '08 when he was expected to win the Vezina and made that crazy save off Richards in OT of Game 6. THAT'S what it took for people to not blame him for anything.

That guy was a gigantic scapegoat at the time.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I thought Nabokov had a few stinkers in the playoffs throughout his career, the 09 series was definitely the biggest that I remember. I know Hiller had like a .997 save percentage or some crazy ****, but I remember too many weak goals on him that series.

Though there were also a couple years that he played better than some of the goalies you see winning cups. Some years he deserved much better. He was really good in 2004 in the playoffs.

Niemi had a couple so-so years in the playoffs, he was amazing in the 2013 playoffs and that whole season. Even though it was the lockout shortened 48 game season. I thought he was not very good for much of the 2011 run. He was pretty bad in game 5 of the 2014 series too. And he also allowed a goal to Doughty in game 7 where he basically just laid there on the ground. I think if he tried to get up, that puck might have hit him.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I wouldn't blame Rinne for any of the goals last night per se, but all of them except Pavs' were extremely stoppable. I initially thought Marleau's wasn't either but looking closer, Rinne was square to Marleau and set before he even got the shot off. They were all savable, and a good goaltender would have gotten one or two of them. It wouldn't have mattered for the Preds, but that's not the point.

These are just some highlights, but wow.

What

3o6EhN4UC6Qd3Xa6Uo.gif

a Great

xT4uQ7epnUMj51QGQM.gif

3o6EhLe6zrloo6Ndmw.gif

Goaltender

3o6EhOln4NCoKpXqaQ.gif

These are just the ridiculously funny ones. I don't know if there was a single goal the Sharks scored this whole series that Rinne didn't look bad on. Some of them were just great shots and some of them were the D's fault more than him, but he didn't look like an NHL goaltender and that's just it.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
That marleau goal if rinne was just a split second quicker he would of been getting praise for it.

The tierny goal is missing a key part of that goal i think. Looks like he was ready to make a pad save before the puck took a weird bounce.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
These are just the ridiculously funny ones. I don't know if there was a single goal the Sharks scored this whole series that Rinne didn't look bad on. Some of them were just great shots and some of them were the D's fault more than him, but he didn't look like an NHL goaltender and that's just it.

Preds won all those games, that's why nobody thinks much about those gaffes. In their losses there weren't many real laughers. When it came down to it, rinne was doing a lot more keeping the preds in the game than out of it.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I have said all this year that Rinne is a below average starting goaltender in the NHL, but not because of anything this playoffs. This series was a small 7 game sample size and 14 games combined from him this playoffs. Since the playoff games are such a small sample size, one bad game of getting lit up can drastically kill an overall save percentage. Rinne's save percentage for the playoffs dropped from .913 to .906 just with last night's game alone. It also rose from .901 heading into game 7 vs Anaheim to almost .920 just after that game 7 alone.

Speaking of Sharks goaltenders in the past in the playoffs, I was looking at Toskala's splits from the 06 playoffs earlier on. After game 3 vs Edmonton, his save percentage for the playoffs was .936 after 8 games. Then it dropped down to .910 and ended there after game 11 of the playoffs, because he allowed 13 goals on the last 75 shots in the final 3 games. He went from looking like he could have had the best Sharks playoff goaltending run at that time to just whatever after a measly 3 games of being lit up by Edmonton. The size of games is so small, the save percentages can drastically fluctuate after just one or two good or bad games in the playoffs.

My basis that Rinne is below average is based on his last 4 seasons and 197 games of regular season play that he's had a combined .912 save percentage. And that .912 save percentage is bumped up by his amazing 14-15 season when he had a .923 overall and looked to be bouncing back after the two bad seasons. But he regressed back to that again. Aside from Pavelec and Ward, I'm not sure there's many other starters that have been that bad for a combined 4 seasons now. Perhaps Lehtonen, after his two straight horrendous seasons. Jimmy Howard too, although I'm sure he's even a starter anymore. Though he was for at least 3 of those seasons. Rinne allowed some bad ones this series, but probably not at any higher of a rate than he has for 3 of the last 4 seasons.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I thought Nabokov had a few stinkers in the playoffs throughout his career, the 09 series was definitely the biggest that I remember. I know Hiller had like a .997 save percentage or some crazy ****, but I remember too many weak goals on him that series.

During his time with the Sharks, Nabokov was being paid and promoted like a difference maker, but was often just a passenger in victory/loss or a culprit in defeat. His tendency to let in weak goals at the absolute worst times killed the team...maybe a team with better mental resolve wouldn't have collapsed, but they did, and Nabokov has to be shouldered with some of the blame.

Even that Dallas series where Nabokov was legitly one of the Sharks's best players in defeat...he was the team's worst player in the first two games, putting the Sharks in the hole. Heck, they eliminated Calgary in spite of Nabokov.

In 2004, Nabokov was one of the Sharks better players; you could make an argument he was one of the Sharks's best 3ish players in all three series. But I don't think that was the case for a single winning series after that.

Niemi had a couple so-so years in the playoffs, he was amazing in the 2013 playoffs and that whole season. Even though it was the lockout shortened 48 game season. I thought he was not very good for much of the 2011 run. He was pretty bad in game 5 of the 2014 series too. And he also allowed a goal to Doughty in game 7 where he basically just laid there on the ground. I think if he tried to get up, that puck might have hit him.

2014 was definitely the low point of Niemi's time in SJ. However, I'd say his zenith was 2011 against Detroit...that was the last series where a Sharks's goaltender was a major factor in a series win.

One of the few postseasons Nabby was not blamed for much was in '08 when he was expected to win the Vezina and made that crazy save off Richards in OT of Game 6. THAT'S what it took for people to not blame him for anything.

That guy was a gigantic scapegoat at the time.

That was a giant game by Nabokov, and he was superb in games 3-6, but he's the #1 reason the Sharks lost the first two games. On the balance, that was a very good series from him, but keep that in mind.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
I wasn't on this board at the time but in my experiences I really don't remember people blaming Nabokov during his time here. It was mainly after.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
During his time with the Sharks, Nabokov was being paid and promoted like a difference maker, but was often just a passenger in victory/loss or a culprit in defeat. His tendency to let in weak goals at the absolute worst times killed the team...maybe a team with better mental resolve wouldn't have collapsed, but they did, and Nabokov has to be shouldered with some of the blame.
I've already went on record saying that the 2009 series really soured me on him. Not what he had done in the past before that or anything, but just wanting him back after his UFA year in 2010. There were some years he deserved better, as there were also just a couple years that I think the team deserved better from him. I thought he was great in 2004 and 2007. I thought he was fine in 2008 in the playoffs for the most part. 2009 and 2010 were meh.
I wasn't on this board at the time but in my experiences I really don't remember people blaming Nabokov during his time here. It was mainly after.
One place where he got a lot of heat was in the comments section of Polak's blog. I remember he had a brutal 5 or 6 game stretch back around February/March of 2009. It was getting so bad that Drew Remenda (big surprise, right?) was constantly pointing out every single thing he did wrong on almost every single goal he allowed during this stretch. Commenting on him being lazy with his stick when getting beat 5 hole and not battling through screens, etc.

One of these games was against the Devils and I was there. Claude Lemieux was in the lineup that day and got a nice ovation. The game looked like something out of 1983 with the goaltending from both Nabokov and Scott Clemmensen that day. All kinds of long shots were going in. Cheechoo scored on something that looked like it was out of the 70's and it was his first goal after some ridiculously long drought. Of course the game ended 6-5 with the Devils winning. It was during that stretch that there were quite a few people ripping Nabokov and I remember a few people in that comments section referring to him as ''Swiss cheese Eugene''. It continued into 2010 and there were many comments where it almost seemed like Doug Wilson actually read the comments personally and delivered the requests of these people.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
This is silly. I believe he's the reason he hasn't been tested. Look at how he swallows rebounds. Not to mention the high danger chances that he's stoned. He's had maybe two games in the playoffs where his rebound control bit him in the ass. Otherwise he's been great.

Just in the last game he did a calm slide back to the post and stopped a chance. Also when johansen attempted to bank it in off of him after getting stoned jones was really smart and got his skates to allow couture to move it out.

He's the reason? The team in front of him had 4 or 5 goals before the Preds got 10 shots on goal.

Jones had a rocky series, no point in sugar-coating it. He can be better though, so there's some confidence to gain from that.

CrazedZooChimp

Not enough guts
Aug 3, 2005
Bay Area, CA
www.Coaster101.com
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Nabby win every series where the Sharks averaged 2 or more goals a game? I don't disagree that he let up softies that were deflating, but you cannot blame a goalie for losing a series when the team in front of him can't score more than one goal a game.

That sounds familiar.

I remeber in the Duck series where he got a lot of blame I think he would have had to set a playoff record for GAA based on how much we scored in order to win. But he got a ton of blame, I thought it was stupid.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
That sounds familiar.

I remeber in the Duck series where he got a lot of blame I think he would have had to set a playoff record for GAA based on how much we scored in order to win. But he got a ton of blame, I thought it was stupid.

17 goals against in 6 games will do that for you.

His games went

2 goals against. .882sv% loss
3 goals against. .885sv% loss
3 goals against. .900sv% win
3 goals against. .880sv% loss
2 goals against. .920sv% win
4 goals against. .875sv% loss

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events