GDT: WCSF Game 6 | Chicago @ Detroit | 5/27 | 8:00 PM EST | CBC / NBCSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
The most damning fact about this series:

Cleary has been the Wings' 2nd best player.

Ouch.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
No he wasn't. He started off well, had to recover from an injury, and started to play much more consistently.

He hasn't had a great playoff year. Has anyone on the team other than Zetterberg?

Franzen plays good for only 25% of the season, every season. It's nothing new.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
The thing that leaves me proper smarting is that I allowed myself to get sucked in. Until game #4 I was more or less apathetic/resigned to the Wings sucking and going out, then we won game #4 and this thing called "hope" came into my mind. I knew game #5 would be a tall order but I was confident for game #6. I allowed myself a tiny bit of optimism that had grown to a nearly reckless moderate optimism after two periods tonight.

And then it all comes crashing down and now I am really pissed off and angry when really it's all what I expected from the start anyway.

I guess what we learned tonight is that pessimism and acceptance ought to be the approach for the time being, at least as long as Cleary and Abdelkader are out there expected to contribute offense and Smith is expected to play important playoff minutes.

Yeah, it's that pesky hope that kept me from enjoying these last couple of games too. I keep telling myself the post season is a wild success and we should be happy we're even in this series.... but then to have the fourth win just dangling out of reach.... ARGH!!!

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Sometimes I think posters don't watch the games at all. Just look at the box score and come in with their pre-conceived notions.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Last time I checked, its a team sport, and when your team decides that the game was over after the 2nd period tonight, that was a big problem. The Wings melted down as a whole and the Hawks were the better team. That is what happened plain and simple. Its easier to blame the refs or blame a single player, but in the end, the better team won. Wings are going to have to play a full 60 minute game, and they haven't done that since Game 4.

Spot on and bravo. Really nothing else to say about game 6. Let's take it in 7 boys.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
The thing that leaves me proper smarting is that I allowed myself to get sucked in. Until game #4 I was more or less apathetic/resigned to the Wings sucking and going out, then we won game #4 and this thing called "hope" came into my mind. I knew game #5 would be a tall order but I was confident for game #6. I allowed myself a tiny bit of optimism that had grown to a nearly reckless moderate optimism after two periods tonight.

And then it all comes crashing down and now I am really pissed off and angry when really it's all what I expected from the start anyway.

I guess what we learned tonight is that pessimism and acceptance ought to be the approach for the time being, at least as long as Cleary and Abdelkader are out there expected to contribute offense and Smith is expected to play important playoff minutes.

Tough loss.. this is exactly how I felt during the Boston series - and we know how that ended for my Leafs.

Hope you guys fair better on Wednesday. Gotta hand it to Chicago - they never stopped coming after that soft 2nd goal Crawford let in. If you guys play with the same desperation on Wednesday, anything is possible.

Space Coyote

Oct 29, 2010
As a Leaf fan I can feel the pain. Wings should have won the series tonight after being up 3-1 in the series We blew a 4-1 goal lead against the Bruins and the lost the series. Well at least it's still not over yet. Hawks will be under pressure playing at home. Wings can still win the series.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Can we all agree that whoever runs our PP needs to be let go. I know this is practically season 3 with an awful PP and it's unacceptable.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
That extension is coming. You can book it. ;)

I gotta give Danny some credit, he works extremely hard out there. You can tell hes trying, and has heart and wants to win. There is 1 small problem though, he doesnt have any skill. The only way I take him back is if its for a cheap contract (1.5 mil) in a 3rd/4th line role. His days as a top 6 winger have got to be over, especially considering we have guys like Nyquist and Brunner (we will sign him) ready to thrive in that role.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I gotta give Danny some credit, he works extremely hard out there. You can tell hes trying, and has heart and wants to win. There is 1 small problem though, he doesnt have any skill. The only way I take him back is if its for a cheap contract (1.5 mil) in a 3rd/4th line role. His days as a top 6 winger have got to be over, especially considering we have guys like Nyquist and Brunner (we will sign him) ready to thrive in that role.

I'm not one to bag on Cleary's work ethic. Guy works his butt off. Same with Abdelkader, even though they aren't the greatest players.

If Franzen played with that kind of intensity all the time he'd score 40 goals every season.

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
Ugh, I just realized I'm not even going to be able to watch Game 7 if it's on Wednesday. I'll be on the road, in the midst of a 23 hour drive back home. :(

Did anyone watch the pressers? I'd love to know what the likes of Babcock and Zetterberg have to say after this one.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
We need more from guys like Franzen and Filppula. Dats and Z can't do everything, and Cleary and Abby are the other top six forwards. That's your problem.

Filppula is one hell of a con-man. For years the team, the organization and the fan base have been hoping and expecting more from him - and we generally get the same player game in - game out, season in - season out. Showing just enough to make you think more is coming, and he's been running this con for years. Used to love the guy, got his sweater his rookie season and now I despise what he has become: Exactly what he has been! None of the potential, expectations or hopes have been reached, he's been just good enough to make us think he could reach it tomorrow, or next season. But I agree with you, hopefully Franzen gives us more, and maybe Fil will come to the rink and decide he's going to give a crap on Wednesday.

Soft Rock Renegade

May 17, 2012
When it comes to Smith, I really think this is Babcock's approach:

He wants Smith to become good enough so that he can win a Cup with him. He's pretty sure that's not this year, but now that DK is out he has nobody else to play and so he has to go ahead and roll Smith out there and let him make his mistakes.

If he learns his lessons quickly, they might have a crack at the Cup this year. If he doesn't, well, the hope is that he will play better next year and so on, to the degree that maybe he helps take them to the Cup some day.

I don't know how wise that plan is, but I really do think that's the plan. It's not like Babcock has a whole bunker full of ninja assassins to throw out there, so I suppose it's as good a plan as any. They won more games this playoff than I ever thought possible.

thats not fair to the rest of the team though. smith could literally cost us this series. its been tight and most of our guys are playing on a high level, with one glaring exception.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille