GDT: WCSF Game 6 | Chicago @ Detroit | 5/27 | 8:00 PM EST | CBC / NBCSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
then why the hell is he playing now? if he is going to make mistake and cost us a series?

you are trying to blame everyone from Datsyuk to management to everyone EXCEPT Smith. You are so biased you dont even realize how ridiculous you sound.

yeah maybe if Smith got EVERYthing going his way, he may have been a little better defenceman. cry me a ****ing river. However, the reason wings lost tonight is because Smith sucked. Not because he wasn't paired with lidstrom last season. (mind you if smith was up last season, he wasn't going to play with lidstrom with his horrible game). or Datsyuk

You do realize even without that mistake we may have still lost, right? Don't see how you can take a 60 minute hockey game and say the entire game was contingent on 1 play made by 1 player. If the refs dont call a PK we may have won the game. Along with a million different things that happened...

jmayDET

Apr 5, 2013
Howard being so terrible on penalty shots really annoys me, you could probably find guys in any European minor league better at it.

Really only a factor in the regular season with the stupid bonus point shootout. Don't (or at least shouldn't) get many penalty shots in the post-season.

Chris 84

Sep 15, 2007
overall we were unlucky tbh. the match was fairly even, all told and we got a garbage penalty shot given against us, not to mention kindl's debatable interference call on their first goal. would have liked to have seen a lot more from the top players, and smith was brutal, but they were far better than in game 5.

i'm totally gutted, and the hawks are huge favourites now, but you never know in hockey and you never know with this team. let's go red wings!

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Datsyuk was terrible tonight, Smith also played a bad game.

When your star player plays that poorly though you are likely to lose in a big game. Defend him all you want, credit his assist, but this team needs more from him, he has been bad and tonight was awful.

YostisHome

Wet Bandits
May 7, 2010
DeKeyser isn't relevant in the discussion. Its about Smith.

When you state: "yah he makes mistakes but he is suppossed to, all rookies do" is does make it relevant.

DeKeyser was another rookie defensemen for us and doesn't make near the mistakes Smith does. That's why its relevant...just because your a rookie doesn't mean you have to be the achilles heel of the entire team

Aug 6, 2012
I think Babs will smarten them up yet again. No one wants to face the wrath of Babs. Easier to just win than deal with that.

Babcock has done basically all he can to get the team going. Its a miracle we are where we are. I wouldn't be surprised to see some serious line changes, though I don't expect any.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
then why the hell is he playing now? if he is going to make mistake and cost us a series?

yeah maybe if Smith got EVERYthing going his way, he may have been a little better defenceman. cry me a ****ing river. However, the reason wings lost tonight is because Smith sucked. Not because he wasn't paired with lidstrom last season. (mind you if smith was up last season, he wasn't going to play with lidstrom with his horrible game).

Basically, this.

Here is my prediction. If Smith dresses for Game 7, we lose. Period.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
nice leadership by Datsyuk and Zetterberg taking penalties late. What a joke of a period. If Datsyuk is gonna play this poorly in crucial games I wont even miss him when he goes to the KHL after next year.

Woah!

I mean I wouldn't mind being in the McDavid sweepstakes but let's keep it reasonable and pray that our #1C doesn't leave until Jarnkrok is ready, even assuming he is able to reach his #2C potential.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
Penalty call looked legit to me. It was a breakaway and Colo hooked him in the hands area. Cut and dry call to me, but either way, good teams don't let calls dictate the series. The Wings had two chances to close out the Hawks and decided it was best to not come out of the dressing room tonight and to not get out of the plane in game 5. That should make you more upset.

It was a tap to the stick up in the hands area. I don't even think cola's stick even touched his hands

Point Shot

Keep It Realgud
Feb 12, 2013
I actually like our depth more than our stars lately.

Where was Zetterberg tonight? 20 minutes on the ice and nothing to show for it, Dear Leader? C'mon.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Lets all take a deep breath...

I call it as it is. We have seen how good Datsyuk can be. Doesn't make sense to me how he is a pure all-star, top 5 player in the NHL, and when we need him the most, he is playing worse than Patty Eaves. No disrespect to Eaves, he was one of the only players that showed up, but if Eaves is far and away better than Datsyuk in a game 6 against the top team in the NHL, we have issues.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Datsyuk won faceoffs all night. I really don't want to hear anything about Datsyuk not performing. He has NOTHING to work with right now, our offense is created solely on broken plays and by some miracle of our green defense keeping it together for a shift.

Once again, Babcock plays Cleary on our special teams and I have no ****ing idea why. I've lost any bit of sympathy I've had for Cleary by proxy - if he's going to be taking up PK and PP space, get him the hell out of here, NOW.

To hell with that. No free passes; he's paid quite ****ing handsomely to do more than win faceoffs, especially during this time of year. This is when the money men step up. The likes of Z and Datsyuk have 1 game to wake the **** up or they will be bigger laughing stocks this series than princess Toews ever was.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Franzen played over 20 minutes in this game. We're like 3 years overdue for a 5 goal beast mode game out of him, I swear.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
overall we were unlucky tbh. the match was fairly even, all told and we got a garbage penalty shot given against us, not to mention kindl's debatable interference call on their first goal. would have liked to have seen a lot more from the top players, and smith was brutal, but they were far better than in game 5.

i'm totally gutted, and the hawks are huge favourites now, but you never know in hockey and you never know with this team. let's go red wings!

There is nothing debatable about the Kindl interference call, that is the correct call.

The penalty shot was a brutal call, one of the weakest I have seen.

This team needs to stop coming unraveled in the third though, and they need Datsyuk and Zetterberg to play like the stars they are. Datsyuk has the easier matchup and really has disappeared at the worst time.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Ken Holland must be thrilled. He gets another year off from doing his job.

This game started to go downhill the moment NBC showed Ken Holland watching the game.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Z and Dats were no shows. Smith was awful in his own end. We need more from Flip and Mule. This game was the most frustrating hockey game we've had since game 7 against SJ 2 years ago, imo.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
You do realize even without that mistake we may have still lost, right? Don't see how you can take a 60 minute hockey game and say the entire game was contingent on 1 play made by 1 player. If the refs dont call a PK we may have won the game. Along with a million different things that happened...

Wings were good enough to hold 2-1 lead

then those 2 goals happened because 1 individual completely failed

those are kinds of mistake everyone say 'it's on him'

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I don't think this is something you can blame on Howard.

It's more a consequence of this being an inexperienced team with a thin D.

It's a general comment really. We didn't lose because of Howard being a below average goalie when it comes to penalty shots, but it would be a *bonus* if he was good at it. If you come up with a save in that spot there, that's a huge momentum changer. And of course extra SO points during the season could give us a better seed as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad