GDT: WCSF Game 6 | Chicago @ Detroit | 5/27 | 8:00 PM EST | CBC / NBCSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
How does Zetterberg lead the team in plus/minus while Filppula and Franzen are the worst? That seems unusual considering they play as a line.

Edit: of course, Franzen is on D's line, derp derp derp. But Abdelkader is tied for 1st on the team too and Datsyuk is no slouch either. Odd...

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Can we all agree that whoever runs our PP needs to be let go. I know this is practically season 3 with an awful PP and it's unacceptable.

The entry to me has been very confusing. In years past and they'd have Datsyuk come from behind, take the drop pass and lead the rush. The entry was never the problem with this technique; it was the shot selection or lack there of and puck retrieval inside the offensive zone that made it a one and done power play. They've went away from that entry and it's been noticeable in the entry.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Filppula is one hell of a con-man. For years the team, the organization and the fan base have been hoping and expecting more from him - and we generally get the same player game in - game out, season in - season out. Showing just enough to make you think more is coming, and he's been running this con for years. Used to love the guy, got his sweater his rookie season and now I despise what he has become: Exactly what he has been! None of the potential, expectations or hopes have been reached, he's been just good enough to make us think he could reach it tomorrow, or next season. But I agree with you, hopefully Franzen gives us more, and maybe Fil will come to the rink and decide he's going to give a crap on Wednesday.

He's been conning me for years :(

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Based on?

Well, based on the eye test for one. He's the only guy out there that has busted his ass every single shift and has actually scored some goals for it. Abby busts it, but doesn't get results. I have bagged on Cleary as much as anybody but without his play in this series we're 4 days deep into golfing season already. 2 goals 2 assists and he's been one of the only guys that gets near the net and stays there. So many flybys in the last 2 games by Wings forwards.

The best player, of course, has been Howard. But he's getting less than no help.

The other guy in consideration is Brunner. I would seriously consider putting him on the Datsyuk line and bumping Franzen down. Franzen gets out of these funks when they play him less and make him PK. Gets him riled up. And Datsyuk is rotting on the vine with no talent on that line.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Well, based on the eye test for one. He's the only guy out there that has busted his ass every single shift and has actually scored some goals for it. Abby busts it, but doesn't get results. I have bagged on Cleary as much as anybody but without his play in this series we're 4 days deep into golfing season already. 2 goals 2 assists and he's been one of the only guys that gets near the net and stays there. So many flybys in the last 2 games by Wings forwards.

The best player, of course, has been Howard. But he's getting less than no help.

The other guy in consideration is Brunner. I would seriously consider putting him on the Datsyuk line and bumping Franzen down. Franzen gets out of these funks when they play him less and make him PK. Gets him riled up. And Datsyuk is rotting on the vine with no talent on that line.

What do you think of...

Nyquist-Datsyuk-Brunner
Filppula-Z-Franzen
Cleary-Andersson-Abby
Miller-Emmerton-Eaves

I'd like to see us try stacking the top 2 lines and going for broke...

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington

Eye test? He's played hard. I'll never question his work ethic. But he's still awful. I'll give him credit for being in the right spots, but doesn't execute. And continues to make dumb plays with the puck.

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
When it comes to Smith, I really think this is Babcock's approach:

He wants Smith to become good enough so that he can win a Cup with him. He's pretty sure that's not this year, but now that DK is out he has nobody else to play and so he has to go ahead and roll Smith out there and let him make his mistakes.

If he learns his lessons quickly, they might have a crack at the Cup this year. If he doesn't, well, the hope is that he will play better next year and so on, to the degree that maybe he helps take them to the Cup some day.

I don't know how wise that plan is, but I really do think that's the plan. It's not like Babcock has a whole bunker full of ninja assassins to throw out there, so I suppose it's as good a plan as any. They won more games this playoff than I ever thought possible.

Couldn't agree more. Think back for a bit: toward the end of the season, we weren't even sure if we'd beat out friggin' Columbus to get into the playoffs. Then we outlasted the Ducks. Then, lo and behold, we went up 3-1 on the Blackhawks. Did we suddenly become a Stanley Cup contender? Do you really think that if we win game 7 and get past the Kings or the Sharks, that we stand a chance against the Boston/Pittsburgh winner (probably Pittsburgh)?

Our young kids are learning a TON during this run, Smith included. And, on the other hand, we have one more grab at the brass ring and going on. This is all good, no matter how it turns out.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
What do you think of...

Nyquist-Datsyuk-Brunner
Filppula-Z-Franzen
Cleary-Andersson-Abby
Miller-Emmerton-Eaves

I'd like to see us try stacking the top 2 lines and going for broke...

I'd actually like those lines quite a bit. I'm with you. GO FOR BROKE. Babcock needs to switch some things around after these last two jokes of a game.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
For Chicago.

That's not fair. I'm not sure I agree that Cleary has been our 2nd best player, but he's been very good for us; the guy doesn't have an ounce of quit in him and he gives what he has to give every game. He's not what he used to be, but he's a heart and soul guy on the ice and in the room. I can think of a lot more reasons this series is now tied other than Dan Cleary.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Eye test? He's played hard. I'll never question his work ethic. But he's still awful. I'll give him credit for being in the right spots, but doesn't execute. And continues to make dumb plays with the puck.

That's basically my point - the rest of the team has been unwilling to work hard or get to the right spots, and they're all making dumb plays with the puck. All you'd have to do is try hard to beat out Cleary. And yet, there he is leading the team in scoring.

Imagine if their players with actual talent put forth that kind of effort. We saw it briefly in games 2 and 3.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Ok, we're creeping up on 1,000. Let's move it on over to the series thread for further mourning.

barbrady.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad