NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
Game 1

View attachment 869325

Game 2

View attachment 869326

Game 3

View attachment 869327

These match the eye test to me. We are actually unlucky to be 1-2 down in the series. I'm surprised last night's is so high as we were very out of sync all night. But we had the zone time, we had the possession and the share of shots you'd expect to lead to a win.

Yep, it’s in line with what we’ve seen so far.

In game 3, Colorado didn’t finish well enough. A rarity for them and costly in a key game.

They did a real good job of limiting the Dallas offensive output, but they have to be able to burry on the other end.

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
All I know is the Avs need to figure it out. Doesn't matter how. It's not just about them anymore, it's for the league. The trap last night was similar to watching the Mavs/Thunder game earlier in the afternoon when OKC was chasing Lively around to intentionally foul him. Both smart strategies to do whatever it takes to win. Both awful to watch and coward ****. Eliminate Dallas for the good of the game.

Yes, I'm salty.
PDB is a great coach but god I hate how boring his teams are. Dallas, Canucks and Canes winning would be bad for hockey because they all play such boring hockey.

At least the Canucks have some fun players but I hate watching Tocchet’s system and frankly I’m so tired of their obnoxious bandwagon fans. Whitecaps and Lions have their small loyal fanbases but otherwise the Canucks are the only game in town and they just don’t care about them unless they’re good. Lived there for a long time and will die on the hill that Vancouver is not a sports town they’re a fair weather Canucks bandwagon town

Hate the Oilers, Perry, Kane and especially their fans but frankly I’d rather at least watch McDavid skill out (then lose to Florida) than Dallas or Vancouver see how few dangerous shots a team can get in a game and still win

Reactions: Avs_19

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
it's not cowardly it's a winning brand of hockey. Our pond hockey don't get dirty bs is what's frustrating not their winning hockey.

disagree and this shows how flawed these are. Dallas has dominated and it should be 3-0 stars.
No, it shouldn't be 3-0 Stars. The Avs rightly won game 1. Just because Georgiev made some saves in OT doesn't mean Dallas deserved to win

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The Avs have had 11, 9, and 13 high danger chances in these games. The Avs season average was 12.65. That doesn't sound like a huge difference, but 12.65 had the Avs tied for 2nd in the league. The average of 11 would be 17th. The Avs are not nearly dangerous enough in this series. This is Hurricane hockey, stay to the outside and fire the puck... hope pure volume is enough.

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
The Avs have had 11, 9, and 13 high danger chances in these games. The Avs season average was 12.65. That doesn't sound like a huge difference, but 12.65 had the Avs tied for 2nd in the league. The average of 11 would be 17th. The Avs are not nearly dangerous enough in this series. This is Hurricane hockey, stay to the outside and fire the puck... hope pure volume is enough.
It’s frustrating because they have the players who can fight to the middle of the ice and they just don’t. Stankoven is tiny and gets lit up at least once a game and keeps going to the dirty areas. It’s our D that are on the smaller and/or softer side, the forwards are absolutely big and/or gritty enough to fit to get dangerous chances

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014

I agree with the general point that the Avs can elevate and need too, but what are the Dallas high danger numbers from game one and three?

I’m guessing they’re lower than the Colorado ones.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I agree with the general point that the Avs can elevate and need too, but what are the Dallas high danger numbers from game one and three?

I’m guessing they’re lower than the Colorado ones.
They are lower than the Avs (8,9,10). The Stars don't need to generate a ton though, they know they can get a few past George. They feel that if they can hold the Avs to 2, they'll win the majority of games. The pathway to doing that is 10-11 high danger chances.

The Stars are not even trying to win the possession battle or shot totals... they simply want to get to 3, have a lead, and suffocate the game. As shown last night, they'll do it with 2 as well.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Well at least they were not down 3-0 in goals. Baby steps I guess. Not enough though.

The Avs need a lot more traffic in front of Otter. He could see the pucks way too much last night. That's how they beat the Jets and Helly last series.

It doesn't look like JD will be back in game 4. If we don't win that game without him the Avs might be in too big of a hole to climb out even if he comes back.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
No, it shouldn't be 3-0 Stars. The Avs rightly won game 1. Just because Georgiev made some saves in OT doesn't mean Dallas deserved to win
They barely hung on to even make it to overtime then got very fortunate in OT. Leading for zero seconds of a game and winning is not a winning recipe or repeatable in any fashion

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
I think the only team that has the guns to take out Dallas now is Florida. Edmonton would look similar to us against the stars, Vancouver would get destroyed on their back end/goaltending. Florida can cycle you to death and get to the net they’re my pick to beat Dallas.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
They barely hung on to even make it to overtime then got very fortunate in OT. Leading for zero seconds of a game and winning is not a winning recipe or repeatable in any fashion
It's like people here want to give one side credit and ignore everything else that happened.

Guess what? Dallas is lucky to have only given up 3 goals in regulation in game 1.

The correct team won that game.

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
I think the only team that has the guns to take out Dallas now is Florida. Edmonton would look similar to us against the stars, Vancouver would get destroyed on their back end/goaltending. Florida can cycle you to death and get to the net they’re my pick to beat Dallas.
Think you’re underselling the Rangers if they get past Florida here too. Igor is a better goalie than Otter. Their forwards will pay the price to make those high danger chances happen. You can just about count on one of their guys finally breaking glass man Tanev and set your watch by Trouba taking out one of their top players

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
I felt as though the looks Dallas got in the 3rd were as good as any Colorado got last night. Add to that they were phenomenal defensively. They were the clear better team in my eyes.
Agree. I almost checked out when Dallas scored late in the 1st after the Avs were definitely the stronger team the whole period.

Probably would have saved myself a lot of frustration if I actually had.

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
They are lower than the Avs (8,9,10). The Stars don't need to generate a ton though, they know they can get a few past George. They feel that if they can hold the Avs to 2, they'll win the majority of games. The pathway to doing that is 10-11 high danger chances.

The Stars are not even trying to win the possession battle or shot totals... they simply want to get to 3, have a lead, and suffocate the game. As shown last night, they'll do it with 2 as well.

Which, is what I’m saying.

It seems like a lot of people are trying to say that Dallas has been the better team in this series, which simply isn’t true.

I think their strategy is sound given the goaltending discrepancy, but it’s also why I said last night that this series is all about Colorado, not Dallas.

If Colorado can stop shooting themselves in the foot with turnovers and get back to cashing in on their chances, they can get right back in this series.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Think you’re underselling the Rangers if they get past Florida here too. Igor is a better goalie than Otter. Their forwards will pay the price to make those high danger chances happen. You can just about count on one of their guys finally breaking glass man Tanev and set your watch by Trouba taking out one of their top players
Ya I left them out for a reason. I picked them to win the cup last year then they looked very meh. Totally different team so far this year and Igor especially looks dialed in. They haven’t faced much adversity these playoffs so they’re a tough read for me

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Anyone remember the pregame speeches from deboer? He strategized against our aggression, we need to either switch it up or make adjustments.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
The return of Jonathan Drouin would do wonders for this team because he can make plays with very little space given to him and is one of the few forwards up the top six who has dogged hounding tactics.

I worry he won't be available until the 4 week mark at the earliest.
Another forward who can skate and pass is huge. Parise is definitely a liability right now.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Avs are leading the entire playoffs by a considerable margin in HDCF% in both 5 on 5 and at all strengths when only looking at the Dallas series.

They have limited Dallas to the lowest amount of high danger chances in the second round even when including Edmonton and Vancouver who have only played 2 games.

Their ratio of creating high danger scoring chances vs their opponent has been the best out of all 12 series so far, whatever they are lacking in generating they are more than making up for in preventing. This would probably be the very last thing I would criticize about this series so far

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
The return of Jonathan Drouin would do wonders for this team because he can make plays with very little space given to him and is one of the few forwards up the top six who has dogged hounding tactics.

I worry he won't be available until the 4 week mark at the earliest.
Another guy that plays perimeter hockey and doesn’t know how to dump and chase/get to the net wouldn’t change a thing. Don’t let half a single regular season fool you into thinking his game is any different. If you think rants is frustrating this dude would be 10x worse

• Haha
Reactions: Bender

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Another guy that plays perimeter hockey and doesn’t know how to dump and chase/get to the net wouldn’t change a thing. Don’t let half a single regular season fool you into thinking his game is any different. If you think rants is frustrating this dude would be 10x worse
You somehow think the Stars deserved to win game 1. That's all I need to know.

JudoKoala

The Ghost of Joe Sacco
Aug 10, 2020
Toronto
You somehow think the Stars deserved to win game 1. That's all I need to know.

I tuned out of this thread pretty quickly last night when people started saying we didn't even deserve to win the Cup in 2022. I get some of it was probably just an emotional reaction to how awful we've looked the past couple games but come on.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
They need to make a handful of changes, other than changing lines.

On the PP, Avs need to work the goal line more, Dallas is all over Makar at the point and Mack/Mikko on the side boards.. For zone entry, Dallas is playing this sorta 1-3-1 and clog the middle so Avs can't skate it in, and if they dump it in, Otter plays it. They need to dump it in harder so it gets past Otteror like bank it head on the back boards so it doesn't ring around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad