WCQF | Vancouver Canucks vs. Nashville Predators | Series Talk

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Which of these backups deserves to start while Demko is injured?

Based on ratios of win to losses and similar save percentages to DeSmith in the NHL it is Silovs.

Based on minor league ratio of wins and losses and save percentage it is Sawchenko.

The statistical arguement for playing DeSmith appears weak.

These are the sorts of decisions, based on loyalties, that keep Losing Franchises, Losing.

Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 8.33.21 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 8.32.12 AM.png

Last edited:

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
Which of these backups deserves to start while Demko is injured?

Based on ratios of win to losses and similar save percentages to DeSmith in the NHL it is Silovs.

Based on minor league ratio of wins and losses and save percentage it is Sawchenko.

The statistical arguement for playing DeSmith appears weak.

These are the sorts of decisions, based on loyalties, that keep Losing Franchises, Losing.

View attachment 859423

View attachment 859422
Aren't you statistically ignoring games played?

AzNightmare

Unregistered User
May 11, 2011
We're done. Preds in 6.

Between Demko's health, EPs mental weakness (prediction: his contract will soon be seen as the worst in the NHL), and departing free agents, that 12 seconds the other night will be remembered as the high water mark for this core. I enjoyed it!

I don't think it will be the worst... He'll still be at least a "pt/g" player. 80~ pts, Maybe never again a 100 pt player. But the problem isn't the point totals. It's the fact he'll accumulate it in 60 games and then disappear for 20 games + playoffs.

AzNightmare

Unregistered User
May 11, 2011
One reason (among many) Ovie has been so successful in his pp spot is he’s not afraid to shoot the shit out of the puck just because someone is foolishly standing in front of him. I once saw a game where he took out two lightning players in a row that were blocking his shots. And then he went straight back for a third shot.

Petey has a 100 mph slapshot but when’s the last time I’ve seen someone limp off after blocking it? He’s always trying to shoot around it which means he goes high and wide…the worst possible outcome. In a series like this, he needs to hammer it low and hard, and if they want to get their ankles in front of it, let them. A blocked shot can cause a lot more chaos than a shot high and wide.
Not comparable, Petey doesn't place his one timers like Ovie.

The difference is if a goalie sees the setup, they're stopping Petey 9/10 times.

Ovie scores them 9/10 times, even when literally every person in the building knows it's coming.

Reactions: theguardianII

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Demko likely done for the year.

This is so incredibly frustrating that I have no choice to but to dissociate from this team again. Perfect example of something entirely out of anyone's control.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Not comparable, Petey doesn't place his one timers like Ovie.

The difference is if a goalie sees the setup, they're stopping Petey 9/10 times.

Ovie scores them 9/10 times, even when literally every person in the building knows it's coming.
They are stopping him now, mostly because he is trying too hard to aim now.
Before he was relaxed, now he is looking and missing the puck or trying too hard, that contract might be too heavy for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad