Post-Game Talk: WCQF GM5 | Canucks lose to Predators | 1-2 (Zadorov) | Back to Nashville

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
I don't know why people think Tocchet doesn't challenge 'cause he doesn't want to go against the refs.

He's made it clear several times that he just trusts in his video coaches.

Now if you think he should go with his gut more instead of listening to the video guys, that's a different argument.

What I'm wondering is what the video guys were doing?

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Got destroyed in the faceoffs tonight at 38.6% and the second goal was a direct play off a lost faceoff. Need to be better in the dot
What's worse is that that faceoff was the result of an icing created by another lost faceoff...

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I think the expectations were fair given how this team looked for most of the season. What we're seeing is a shock and that's already taking into account that they were worse in the 2nd half of the regular season. I don't think any of us expected such a neutered team.

It pretty much boils down to the Pettersson line having 0 goals in this series.

If the line centered by our 100 point $11 million C had 4 goals in 5 games (which you’d think is pretty average) we’d have 16 goals in 5 games … which is totally fine. Instead we have 12.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
The refs have all f***ed us around since the moment Tyler Myers was dumb enough to publicly call them out.
Maybe the refs shouldn't be ****ing babies and call biased games just because a player on one team calls them out.

These are supposed to be professionals, not high school kids.

TruKnyte

Give me the meds now
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Nail on the head right here. We just saw an insanely soft goalie interference call back against Cirelli yesterday and it a lot less questionable looking than this one.

Your team might not score again, take the chance to preserve the 1-0 lead.

Our anemic offense is very concerning, shouldnt have to try and park the bus after managing one goal. There’s enough talent that we should be generating way more opportunities

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Miller, Hughes, Pettersson can only do so much with this anemic winger group.

Mikheyev, Suter, Hoglander in the top 6 is absolutely killing us. They don’t provide offense by themselves. They are severely carried by their centerman + Hughes to do all the offense for them. Pettersson made 2 real nice neutral zone plays to Mikheyev and all he does is take a 40ft wrister right into the pads of Saros. Hoglander can’t play a cycling game. He’s bad at handling the puck. And Suter just doesn’t have the skill to keep up with Miller or Boeser.

Joshua relies on Garland too much to make the play for him. Garland is a great play driver but he’s a middle 6 talent at best and he is prone to getting completely neutralized by a team that dominates the neutral zone game like Nashville.

Mikheyev is the most useless forward on this team since Eriksson and Schaller.

It wouldn't be so bad having one or even two of them in the top six but all three, and two on the same line just cripples any offense. Suter is playing out of his mind right now but there's a reason we're only paying him 1.9M and Tocchet needs to pulling his head out of his ass and understand that.

Put him, Mikheyev and Hoglander together on a shutdown line and let them wear Nashville down, which is precisely what they're all actually good at. They aren't goal scorers, at least not at the moment in Hoglander's case.

By insisting on his god forsaken line combos that don't work, it's allowing Nashville to isolate Pettersson and focus entirely on Miller's line.

Reactions: BimJenning

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker

If the line centered by our 100 point $11 million C had 4 goals in 5 games (which you’d think is pretty average) we’d have 16 goals in 5 games … which is totally fine. Instead we have 12.
All of the offensive problems this season boil down to EP. Imagine if he was going on that right side with his one timer, at least?

For a guy who was wanting to leave the city if this team wasn't a winner this season, he sure is putting up a ****ing anemic, soulless performance so far.

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland
The refs aren’t the reason we lost that game, but man am I getting sick of the constant game management and selective calls. It’s not even subtle and it should be embarrassing to a so-called “major” sports league that it’s so predictable.

I had the Canucks in 6 in my playoff bracket and I think they can get it done, but the complete and utter lack of an offensive plan is really starting to become frustrating. At the moment the coaching team are making zero adjustments

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I like the way Blueger is playing put him back with Joshua and Garland and move Lindholm into the top six.

I either want to see the lotto line with Lindholm cantering the second, or move Lindholm to play on the wing with Petey. Should have tried more of this during the regular season but Tocchet is a f***ing idiot
This should be a no brainer, especially by now, but for some reason EP is chained to a granite block for almost two years.

Coincidentally, he's looked worse than ever for the past several months.

TruKnyte

Give me the meds now
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
This should be a no brainer, especially by now, but for some reason EP is chained to a granite block for almost two years.

Coincidentally, he's looked worse than ever for the past several months.

Doesn’t make sense to me. If you’re going to pay him that much, at least put him in the best possible position to succeed

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Maybe the refs shouldn't be ****ing babies and call biased games just because a player on one team calls them out.

These are supposed to be professionals, not high school kids.

Like I said, I think this game refs was pretty bad on both ends. We definitely got away with some shit too.

Compare to that, Joshua's dim wit boarding hit was just...idiotic.

Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

Leif Rohlin

Jan 25, 2024
Major oof. This team doesn't appear capable of sustaining the level of effort and focus required to win in the playoffs.

I still think an illness running through the team is a legitimate possibility. Willing to give these guys the benefit of the doubt if they can come up with a big game on Friday, but yikes man.

We're making Anthony Beauvillier look like a dangerous player ffs.

Reactions: Jay26

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I gotta say that it is extremely frustrating to be dissecting and arguing over a blown call here or a non-challenge there because the team straight up has no finish and can't score against a not very good Nashville team. Even if we can come through and close out this series, what are our near term prospects looking like with the roster we have and how our stars have been playing?

Slapshot_11

Aug 30, 2006
We've been incredibly lucky to be up 3-1, even this game how many posts did they have? The luck will run out eventually

The series loss is on Tocchet

Reactions: Jay26 and TruKnyte

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Suter has been brutal as well. I think he's hit 3 or 4 posts alone in this series, he puts a couple of those away and we're home free.

That's the thing though. He's not a goal scorer nor should we be expecting that from him. Like I said above, there's a reason he only signed for 1.9M and not 4M+ like say, Toffoli. Tocchet is desperately trying to force him into a player he just isn't. Outside of sniping the post, he's actually had a fantastic game tonight. That's the problem. He simply isn't good enough.

Reactions: BimJenning

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC

I've been a Pettersson fan since his days in the SEL.

He is straight up costing this team the season with how he's playing.

You cannot have a top line center suddenly stop all production. The entire team dynamic is thrown off. It's way more impactful than Demko being injured IMO. And what's worse is that he's not even playing aadequately in his own end either.

There was a play towards the end of the game where Pettersson was barreling towards Lauzon (you know, the guy that threw the cheap shot) and instead of running him into the boards, Pettersson stumbled awkwardly into a weak check and got tossed to the ice like a bag of pucks. That was so f***ing pathetic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad