Post-Game Talk: WCQF [GM3] Canucks defeat Predators | 2-1 (Miller & Boeser) | In DeSmith We Trust

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Size matters.
This is mentioned several times by Bieksa, the Canuck bottom 4 are playoff grade and huge, Myers - 6'8", Zardorov - 6'6", Soucy - 6'5" and the little guy, Cole - 6'2". And they played big.
In this game Hughes was targeted and it showed in his game, Hronek fared only slightly better.

Boeser is getting a lot of love here but IMO a fire hydrant could have scored that goal, it was ALL Miller he just made his stick available. They need more out of him, more hits at least.

Hughes got rattled, not really too much to blame him as he hasn't been hit like that in the easy season but it showed he can be taken out of the game defensively and for getting the puck out of the zone. It was one game and the first he has had to face like that in quite awhile but it did affect his offence a bit. But he has a bruise now so he might get into the taking the next step up.

Myers and Zadorov show the need for this team to get them re-signed every playoff game. Zadorov standing there chirping McCarron on, McCarron loads up and big Z just stands there. He has gotten into their heads. He blasts their best player twice and nobody even skates by to say hello, he is not the nuclear threat Byfuglien was or Chara or even Tryamkin but he is getting respect. I though Nashvlle would have unleashed McCarron to take Zadorov off the ice for 5 min and maybe given the team an added push but I guess the chance that Zadorov cleans his clock or doesn't get the worst was too much of a chance that would backfire.

I though it was a mistake to turtle in the third period, if not for some outstanding goal tending it could have back gone south.

A win is a win and this is the playoffs. After Demko got hurt they only needed to play .500 hockey and they are a step in the right direction.

I hope some coach noted that a couple of times the Preds were concentrating on in getting to defensive positions they didn't pressure the puck carrier, but the Canuck player got rid of it too soon.

Good puck movement on the PP.

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
I love big Z baby. Fits in like a glove with this market too. He'll give it right back.

Reactions: quat

ForecheckBackcheck

Nov 2, 2019
Size matters.
This is mentioned several times by Bieksa, the Canuck bottom 4 are playoff grade and huge, Myers - 6'8", Zardorov - 6'6", Soucy - 6'5" and the little guy, Cole - 6'2". And they played big.
In this game Hughes was targeted and it showed in his game, Hronek fared only slightly better.

Boeser is getting a lot of love here but IMO a fire hydrant could have scored that goal, it was ALL Miller he just made his stick available. They need more out of him, more hits at least.

Hughes got rattled, not really too much to blame him as he hasn't been hit like that in the easy season but it showed he can be taken out of the game defensively and for getting the puck out of the zone. It was one game and the first he has had to face like that in quite awhile but it did affect his offence a bit. But he has a bruise now so he might get into the taking the next step up.

Myers and Zadorov show the need for this team to get them re-signed every playoff game. Zadorov standing there chirping McCarron on, McCarron loads up and big Z just stands there. He has gotten into their heads. He blasts their best player twice and nobody even skates by to say hello, he is not the nuclear threat Byfuglien was or Chara or even Tryamkin but he is getting respect. I though Nashvlle would have unleashed McCarron to take Zadorov off the ice for 5 min and maybe given the team an added push but I guess the chance that Zadorov cleans his clock or doesn't get the worst was too much of a chance that would backfire.

I though it was a mistake to turtle in the third period, if not for some outstanding goal tending it could have back gone south.

A win is a win and this is the playoffs. After Demko got hurt they only needed to play .500 hockey and they are a step in the right direction.

I hope some coach noted that a couple of times the Preds were concentrating on in getting to defensive positions they didn't pressure the puck carrier, but the Canuck player got rid of it too soon.

Good puck movement on the PP.

Hughes has 4 points in 3 games, and leads the team in PO scoring. Objectively, his offence is not being affected in the slightest. I agree he is making plays a little more rushed than usual, but he is still absolutely a positive factor for the team this series.

And with the Preds focusing so much energy and attention on him, it frees up other areas of the ice for the rest of the team.

ForecheckBackcheck

Nov 2, 2019
Just wanna give some special props to Tyler Myers.

Guy has taken a ton of criticism (some merited, some not) over the last 5 years, but he has been a durable warrior for us ever since signing here. And Myers has played great this year under RT's system. He is averaging the second highest ice time among our D this series, and his presence was sorely missed last game.

Dare I even say it, but he is actually playing like a 6M top-4 defenseman this season, and certainly right now, when it matters most.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
And with the Preds focusing so much energy and attention on him, it frees up other areas of the ice for the rest of the team.
But they aren't really, it is just they are getting to him. They pressure that pairing.

Frees' up other areas? A good thought but with just 12 shots you have to wonder where?

With over 23 minutes a game and over half the PP time you would hope he has more points than Boeser. 4 points and still minus one.

EP is by far the worst at +/-at -4.

Garland was more noticeable in this game.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Has Z always been this good or has being on a good team settled him down? I remember him having the reputation of being a bit of a dumbass in Calgary. Regardless, he's been our best player in this series hahahahahahaha.

He's developed a lot more consistency over the last part of the season. He always had good-to-great games, but would also looked like his brain fell out from time to time. Recently, he's strung together an extended period of higher-level play. If he keeps it up, Tocchet is gonna make Allvin sign him.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I am leaning towards signing Zadorov over Hronek right now, no joke.
And it’s not just because of the playoffs
This team has needs and Hronek could be the most valuable trade asset, RHD with over 50 points. There are teams out there with lots of money and assests.
Has Z always been this good or has being on a good team settled him down? I remember him having the reputation of being a bit of a dumbass in Calgary. Regardless, he's been our best player in this series hahahahahahaha.
It took awhile but he has showed bursts of this kind of play since being drafted. He is only 28 yrs old so with his size and durability of large humans in this game he will be good or better over the next 6+ years.
It's not just Z crushing opponents at every good opportunity - he's rushing the puck and being a legit threat in the transition game. He's absolutely outplayed Hronek the past couple months, especially in the playoffs.
Opportunity, he isn't chasing hits and he isn't always just getting close and pushing.
We can keep both.
The team could but why? Hughes has the puck just about all the time and that makes Hronek's game just being there.

Zadorov, I'd offer 6 mil for 7 years with clauses easily, maybe even 7 mil because is 3/4 years 7 will be like 5 now and he should be good for another 6/7 years.

Myers has earned 4 mil for 3 years with a clause. Even if he slips more his size, being a RHD and his PK would make this worth it.

These are playoff type guys and Soucy/Cole are bringing it too. Some players are just made for the playoffs, not just size but mentally, but size certainly helps

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
True. The Canucks controlled most of the game. Very few good scoring chances for the Preds until the last 10 minutes.
True, this is exactly what happened. People poo pooing the 12 registered shots are not realizing what kind of game the Canucks played - a perfect playoff game from a Coaching perspective. Exactly like when they had the lead in the first game. It was no Flu. It takes a great deal of work ethic with trust and practice with your teammates to do that.

Not that I wasn't nervous the entire game - that was some scary thing to watch. The D made a huge difference like fishing the puck out behind DeSmith when it went through. He literally got just enough of that puck to keep it out of the net. And not that DeSmith wasn't having a great game, though he had some problems with rebound control. Hence a good chunk of the 31 shots. But he adjusted for his high glove problem.
I was forced to watch Panger cheer for the Preds on Espn (as they don't give us a choice for the playoffs) and he pointed out the Canucks were actually giving the Preds the high glove side. Casey was ready everytime. Goalies can scout back at forwards, adjust for their tendencies too.

Myers made a huge difference. As did DiGiuseppi. Garland thinks he's Stan Smyl out there and there was a coward challenging him to a fight even. Game could have been lost had Joshua been assessed that major. Thank God Toronto reviewed it and realized what we saw at home - Stastney turned his back into the hit like they teach you junior. That seriously cost him and the team. But that also meant that McArron didn't get a match penalty himself because of Game Management. Canucks have been opportunists all year. Even Petey was on form in that turtle and looked for opportunities in that kind of play. Although he's still Mr. Thinkstoomuch.
Another big difference, again as ESPN pointed out, Boeser parking himself in front of the net was the big difference. Preds are not clearing out from the front. Look for them to start doing that on Sunday.

Also ESPN noticed a lot of the blocked shots on the Canucks side. Somehow the Canucks got their sticks in the way of everything instead of sacrificing their bodies the way the Preds did. And the Canucks certainly compensated, rather than shooting all the time they went back to their original game of only taking good shots. Miller's goal was a laser and Soros had to wave his glove in the general direction because he couldn't see it past Boeser.

Did I mention the Canucks incredible penalty kill? No? It was incredible. The game was over when they killed the back to back penalties that included the 5 on 3.

Last edited:

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
"With over 23 minutes a game and over half the PP time you would hope he has more points than Boeser. 4 points and still minus one."

You are seriously complaining about Hughes' playoff point production? 4 points in 3 games this year. 20 points in his first 20 playoff games, one of 7 defensemen in NHL history to do it.

The others? Al Macinnis, Adam Fox, Gary Suter, Bob Dailey, Brian Leetch and Bobby Orr.

I think he's doing pretty good. Saying he should be outscoring Boeser because he is getting 23+ mins a night is a really weird take, and feels like an attempt to downplay both Hughes and Boeser. Josi is averaging over 25 mins a night and has 1 assist. But I guess he is given a pass because he is big and hairy?

Zadorov, I'd offer 6 mil for 7 years with clauses easily, maybe even 7 mil because is 3/4 years 7 will be like 5 now and he should be good for another 6/7 years.

Myers has earned 4 mil for 3 years with a clause. Even if he slips more his size, being a RHD and his PK would make this worth it.

That's certainly...an opinion.

I am on board the goodbye Hronek train, and I'm loving what Big Z is doing in these games. I have even liked Myers in the two games he played. But we need to sign Zad to a reasonable contract, and if they are for some reason re-signing Myers, it would have to be to an even reasonabler contract. Certainly starting with the number 3.

If they do that, they can also maybe re-sign the likes of Joshua and Blueger, and possibly take a swing at the likes of Tanev and/or Toffoli as well.

Last edited:

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Some of the calls were horrendous.
true but there was also game management. We were lucky to get that 4x4 even if it was obvious and dumb-ish thing for Nashville to do (not entirely dumb - they were losing and Canucks D were frustrating them and looking to motivate the team - but still dumb as that was their opportunity to get something on the board). We could have got a penalty for sticking up for DeSmith even. You can't not give a penalty shooting the puck over glass. I am reminded when watching it why it must be a penalty and not just an icing: penalty kills. Players would do that all the time and you need consistency on the call (also fan injuries).

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Hronek has all but disappeared. I'd be very careful signing him to a long term deal. Big Z is built for playoff hockey. He may not be as flashy during the regular season but if this Canucks team has visions of regular playoff visits than I'd be more interesting in allowing Hronek to walk and signing the big man. I'm blown away by how dominant he's been. The Preds have no answer for him.

Reactions: Flik and ziploc

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Hronek has all but disappeared. I'd be very careful signing him to a long term deal. Big Z is built for playoff hockey. He may not be as flashy during the regular season but if this Canucks team has visions of regular playoff visits than I'd be more interesting in allowing Hronek to walk and signing the big man. I'm blown away by how dominant he's been. The Preds have no answer for him.
Zaddy also got the same amount of goals as Hronek during the season but in 27 less games. Hronek started out on fire with Hughes but morphed into a nobody in the O zone as the season wore on. His shot is wild in the wrong ways. Zadorovs shots are closer to Sergachevs.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
re: hronek, it really depends on how the coaching staff really feels about him and mgmt’s vision of how the blueline will fit together over the next five years

if hronek can be a strong number two holding down his own pair on both sides of the puck, then i think you don’t blink about $7m over term. can he still move the puck as effectively without hughes both absorbing forecheckers’ attention and providing a safety valve to unload the puck to at the first sign of trouble? conversely, does he have more to give offensively if he doesn’t default to hughes so much?

but my question is, why has he never been given the opportunity to show what he can do by himself? is it the makeup of the team, where you don’t want to saddle hughes with myers or overextend cole with top pair minutes? or is it that they see hronek as more of a stralman than a mcdonough?

if it’s the former, that there was no other RD option that wouldn’t needlessly take away from the best ice tilter in the league, then what this summer really should be about is finding the appropriate partner with hughes and extending hronek and letting him be what he should be.

in that case, is there room to also bring back zad? hard to say. soucy and hronek makes sense as a second pair, at least on paper, so you’d be potentially opening the vault for third pair guy, albeit a very impactful one with a rare skillset, who plays the side that’s much easier to fill.

but i think we don’t really know what hronek is or could be. very curious where tocchet and allvin are on him, because on the trade market he could probably fetch a boat.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
That was the difference for him this game, though. He was much more calm and scrambled less because of it.

He’s truly a vibes-based goaltender.
there was a moment where one of the D's lost his stick, Soucy I think, and then even he lost his stick. But the boys were able to keep the Preds from making a play and DeSmith was able to pick his up again, the D (though he tried and failed to bat the puck out) were able to get out of the zone finally and it relieved the pressure. That was the only time I saw him remotely getting close to his panic.

Reactions: Vector

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
can i just say, it’s actually refreshing to see these wild canucks board mood swings again

“boeser is invisible,” 24 hrs later: “our best forward this series”

“you have to admit jtm also hasn’t done anything,” 24 hrs l8r: “keslord”

vive les playoffs babes

(i hope 30 hours from now our wives, mothers, and daughters are all wanting to have EP’s children)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad