GDT: WCQF GM05 | Vancouver Canucks vs. Nashville Predators | Tue. Apr 30th | 7:00PM PST | SNP/CBC | Hey, hey, I wanna be a Brock Star

Status
Not open for further replies.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
If we win this game we’ll win the series
1714515462185.png

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Oh no no no no. We absolutely do not want rush chances. The Canucks are not a rush team (they were near dead last in creating chances off the rush in the regular season). That just plays into exactly how Nashville wants to play: high-pace back-and-forth, with lots of rush chances. I literally thought to myself when I saw the Ian Cole rush chance, "oh no", because I knew a missed opportunity there means a rush chance the other way. And it was, and it ended up behind Silovs.

The biggest issue in G4 was, for me, the first time they allowed Nashville to dictate the style of play. They fed into the rush. They cannot do that. It has to be grindy, lots of dump-outs/ins, and creating on the forecheck.

I agree, in the OZ, the Canucks should look to get the puck behind goal line more, to pull the Preds in and hopefully pull them out of blocking position. But again, that means they need to hold the puck in the OZ and not trade rush chances.
Of course we shouldn't be trading rushes. But if we break out cleanly it creates chances on the rush. You still need to mix this in or it doesn't keep the defence honest. Variety adds to unpredictability which helps generate offence.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Of course we shouldn't be trading rushes. But if we break out cleanly it creates chances on the rush. You still need to mix this in or it doesn't keep the defence honest. Variety adds to unpredictability which helps generate offence.
In general I'd agree, but against a team that primarily needs the rush to be productive, I don't think it's advantageous to push for rush chances.

On the few rush chances the Canucks had last game, the Preds immediately go down the other way and either score or get an even higher quality rush chance. It's how it goes on the rush. Miss at one end, leads to a fast counter going the other way.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I understand Pod going down if he wont play but I honestly think we’re missing out on seeing him hit a playoff gear
I could easily see him getting in a game or two for Abbotsford and then coming into the big club's lineup

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
In general I'd agree, but against a team that primarily needs the rush to be productive, I don't think it's advantageous to push for rush chances.

On the few rush chances the Canucks had last game, the Preds immediately go down the other way and either score or get an even higher quality rush chance. It's how it goes on the rush. Miss at one end, leads to a fast counter going the other way.
Definitely, they were feasting on counterattacks the whole game.

I'm hoping the Nucks score early so that it's the Preds that have to try to push the pace.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I always thought Kenins got a bit of a raw deal here. I think he had more to give and could have slotted in longer term in the Jannik Hansen type of mold.

He played great to close out 14-15 and then was injured in camp and had a terrible preseason playing hurt. Then he predictably started the season poorly, the team gave up on him, and never gave him another look even though he was Utica's best forward in the back half of the season once he took some time off to actually heal his injury.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Makes you wonder if he'll join Marner on the trade market. Seems like this off season could be quite interesting for big name players getting moved.
Ehlers has a year left and will be 29 as a UFA in 2025. In 9 years, he's been healthy for 4 of them. Even the shortened Covid year he missed 9 games. Double digit missed games for the other 4. When he plays a full season, he's a 60 odd point player. Good, but not great to the point you'd drop $8 mill plus on a max term deal IMO. Might be time to move off him in the off-season.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
To be honest, people seem a little too optimistic about the canucks right now. They were one empty-net-post away from being tied 2-2 in this series, after being outplayed for 50 minutes in game 4.

Of course, they could play a really good bounce-back game and win in 5.

Reactions: Szechwan

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
To be honest, people seem a little too optimistic about the canucks right now. They were one empty-net-post away from being tied 2-2 in this series, after being outplayed for 50 minutes in game 4.

Well at some point if Pettersson remembers he plays hockey the team might have their best weapon back.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010

I want more Game 4.

Soul crushing defeat.

Exhilarating win.

But then again, I don't think my nerves could take it.

Just hammer them 4-0.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
He played great to close out 14-15 and then was injured in camp and had a terrible preseason playing hurt. Then he predictably started the season poorly, the team gave up on him, and never gave him another look even though he was Utica's best forward in the back half of the season once he took some time off to actually heal his injury.
He 100% was a long term NHLer if developed properly. It's really too bad.

Reactions: vanuck and MS

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
From what I remember, he was largely successful because he played with an extremely high motor, physical, and didn’t change his game while seeing success. Then he decided he was a finesse scorer (injuries?) and completely diverted from what made him successful. It was rather bizarre.

Reactions: sting101
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad