GDT: WCQF GM02 | Vancouver Canucks vs. Nashville Predators | Tue. Apr 23rd | 7:00PM PST | SNP/CBC | Great State of Dakota

Status
Not open for further replies.

calnuck

Nov 26, 2010
CA
I'd rather listen to Kelly than Cassie Campbell on ESPN (no Sportsnet for us living in the US). She's been talking about Nashville like they've been playing infallible hockey all night long.
It’s so bad. Not to mention their analysis during the intermissions. Only good thing is Subban is entertaining

Reactions: coastal_nuck

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
The blame here clearly rests on a couple players.

There's no such thing as a perfect team. Pettersson in the past has been someone who is capable of elevating linemates and carrying a line. That should be happening, That isn't happening.

Would it be nice to have Guentzel instead of Lindholm? Sure. But right now we're watching a team that should have a 100-point C and a Vezina-level G who instead has a bad backup and a line-killing zombie in their place.

Nobody said the team had to be perfect.

It's not the back up or Pettersson. 8 shots is a team wide problem. They lack shooting talent that forces a rebound which then sets up subsequent shots. That goes beyond Pettersson.

47 shot attempts. 12 shots on net. This is an accuracy issue, not a zombie Pettersson issue.

You're glossing over why Pettersson has to elevate his wingers. Most of the wingers on this team are not valid PP options, and it's because they lack plus shots throughout their line-up.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Unacceptable soft play by Pettersson on two Preds goals so far.

Coupled with that empty net miss and he's pretty much single-handedly throwing this game for the Canucks.

Need something good to happen for his confidence. Seems like the crowd was getting a bit restless whenever he had the puck late in the period as well lol.

Cannot believe how such a skilled player can have such trouble handling every single pass that comes his way. It's horrible on the PP in particular where that extra split second he needs to settle the puck is enough for the PKers and goalie to shift over to him.

I want to use the absolutely horrendous Rogers Arena ice as an excuse...and sometimes it is. But right now, it's just...he's deeply mired in some shit man. And it's not the ice. It's not an injury. It's clearly just...he ain't got his head right. Which is so frustrating in our core "Superstar" difference-maker.

Reactions: Vector

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
Even if we lose tonight I still think Vancouver is on another level compared to Nashville. They've completely controlled this game, in my opinion.
I agree. We are without question the better team. Which is why it's so frustrating we aren't playing like it!

It's a long series. Not going to panick. Any team that wants to wirn the cup is going to go though this at one point or another. We are just getting it out of the way early!

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I don't know why it's so hard for people to understand that when you have your 1C playing like an offensive black hole, it significantly affects the flow of the entire team. This is a guy getting top minutes as well.

If Pettersson is playing up to his price tag, he is a consistent threat every time he is on the ice, and teams have to adjust for that, freeing up other guys for better scoring opportunities. More offense will naturally flow not only from increased scoring numbers from your 1C, but confidence in guys around him, and more space as well.

This is one player (a player with top minutes and top PP1 time) negatively impacting the team. End of story. This is the biggest issue with the Canucks right now.

This team is built around 4 superstar players - Pettersson, Miller, Hughes, Demko.

Right now one of those guys is injured and the other is garbage and when you're 2/4 ... you're in trouble.

In a capped league there is no such thing as a perfect team. Every team has weaknesses somewhere. We could definitely use another scoring winger or two. Absolutely. But this team as it is with all 4 of those star players going is a force. It's a good build. But that isn't what we're seeing right now (and for the last month of the season with Demko injured).

ferroid

Mar 22, 2010
Was watching the TB-Florida game earlier, and it’s crazy how much more dynamic a player like Kucherov is compared to Pettersson right now.

Reactions: Nucker101

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I don't know why it's so hard for people to understand that when you have your 1C playing like an offensive black hole, it significantly affects the flow of the entire team. This is a guy getting top minutes as well.

If Pettersson is playing up to his price tag, he is a consistent threat every time he is on the ice, and teams have to adjust for that, freeing up other guys for better scoring opportunities. More offense will naturally flow not only from increased scoring numbers from your 1C, but confidence in guys around him, and more space as well.

This is one player (a player with top minutes and top PP1 time) negatively impacting the team. End of story. This is the biggest issue with the Canucks right now.

47 shot attempts, 12 shots on net .

Putting that all on Pettersson, while a good story, just isn't accurate. It's narrative.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
And this is where even our strong coaching staff needs to take the blame.

This forum was calling out the PP as a major problem back in February.

They've done absolutely nothing to fix it.
I think if EP isn't playing like a goof, the PP would look a lot more competent. Imagine having his dangerous one time slapper on the right side? Remember when teams were so afraid of it, they'd actually try double covering him and run out of position to do so?

That's when the PP looked good. Again, every offensive issue tracks back to Pettersson right now.

Reactions: SillyRabbit
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad