GDT: WCQF GM02 | Vancouver Canucks vs. Nashville Predators | Tue. Apr 23rd | 7:00PM PST | SNP/CBC | Great State of Dakota

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007
To me Petterson played better than Miller that period, honestly. Obviously fighting it but also blasting away and not turning it over as much as Miller. Both need to play better.

Reactions: alternate and Regal

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I don't even really know what to say about that period other than...they should be up at least a couple goals already. Dominated play for the most part and controlled the game. They're just...not getting there.

The thing is that’s been a common theme for probably 2/3 of the games or more since the All Star break. The lack of execution/finish when they get their looks is a concern.

Reactions: biturbo19

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I'm ok with it. We dominated every phase. Played the neutral zone well and didn't give them anything. Goal against was a lucky bounce.

Yeah we're missing the net. Everyone is missing the net. But playoffs is like 50% harder to get shots through and they have to adjust to that. The important process thing to note is those shots are from the danger area in the middle of the ice, not too many perimeter shots which they were starting to rely on too much at the end of the season.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
For anyone who was too young to remember the 03 Wild-Canucks series...This is exactly how these games went.
Just missed that series. I became a fan during the 04 series against the Flames. I remember going mental when Morrison scored in triple OT and when Cooke tied it up in Game 7!

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
plz be the hero we need u 2 be

prayers for petey.jpg

Reactions: alternate

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
To me Petterson played better than Miller that period, honestly. Obviously fighting it but also blasting away and not turning it over as much as Miller. Both need to play better.
Yep, I agree. It's just that he's completely mentally shattered and everyone can tell.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It's just absurd at this point. It's clearly just a mental thing and he can't seem to shake it. $11M players aren't supposed to be "mercurial" and have bouts where they can't get their own focus straight in the biggest moments of big games.

Like I've said here before, I wouldn't be surprised if Pettersson scored 110 points next year and I also wouldn't be surprised if he sulked his way to 60 points. Strangest person/player in franchise history.

It's like having a 1978 Lambourghini in your garage that is sometimes absolutely f***ing fantastic but is mostly expensive and broken.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Quite different, that series was just Cloutier giving up goals from weak shots

I meant in terms of the team having zero confidence in front of their goaltender and suffering low confidence in their zone along with a total lack of confidence in the offensive zone.

Also I highly suspect DeSmith will put up a .850SV% if he faces more shots.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I'm ok with it. We dominated every phase. Played the neutral zone well and didn't give them anything. Goal against was a lucky bounce.

Yeah we're missing the net. Everyone is missing the net. But playoffs is like 50% harder to get shots through and they have to adjust to that. The important process thing to note is those shots are from the danger area in the middle of the ice, not too many perimeter shots which they were starting to rely on too much at the end of the season.
I think we are being too methodical, switched to the Avs Jets game for a sec and the Avs are spamming shots. We need to find a better balance. You never shoot then you don’t get a feel for the net

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver

? Peterrsson gave away the puck on the goal against, saucered a pass into traffic with a wide open net to shoot at, then fired a puck 2 feet wide on a wiiiiide open net.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
So I was thinking that Hughes would be even deadlier if we had good ice but I looked up his splits and he has 10 more points at home vs the road. I guess that home cooking makes up for it.

Also, Rogers ice does suck. I was lucky enough to play a game at maple leaf gardens before they turned it into a Loblaws and it was much much better.

I had a pretty extensive conversation with @Reverend Mayhem about this a while back. It's kind of embarrassing. It seems like it's pretty widely accepted around the league as some of the worst ice.

Which i get that humidity is hard to deal with. But there's still really no excuse there. This isn't a poverty franchise. There's money to be thrown at the problem. And the reality is...better ice would suit this particular team so much better. For basically as long as guys like Hughes and Pettersson are the core.

It also makes me wonder a little bit about some of the injury problems we constantly have. Lots of other factors...but trash ice does not help either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad