Post-Game Talk: WCQF GM02 | Vancouver Canucks lose to Nashville Predators | 4-1 (Zadorov) | Stars Can't Score

Slapshot_11

Aug 30, 2006
This is a series that Kuzmenko is badly missed.

Every game will be tilted possession wise for the Nucks, but the only guys that seem to want to score, are the ones with stone hands and muffin shots.

Kuzzy bears down on the Suter whiff beside the net. He takes the extra move back to allow Silovs to fall flat on his face and roof it, rather than just pushing the puck into his leg pad like Joshua. Kuz buries one of those backdoor tips that Boeser kept putting wide, and Kuz sure as hell doesn't try for some hero sauce pass when staring down and empty fuggin net.

He knew exactly when to release, or extend the play and change up the angle. Rarely see his shots blocked so cleanly.

Was a mistake to trade him, made into a bigger mistake by not replacing him.
Are we acting like kuzy wasn't trash defensively now?

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I care more about try than I do results. Right now, I'm not seeing either. The play on the opening goal was Marneresque.

I just don't see how you can't be frustrated with this player. His "ups" have been incredible but his "downs" have been frustrating as hell and far too often. "He's injured"... "It's in his head".... "He's trying to get Benning fired". Whatever the excuse is this time, I just want to see him leave it all on the ice.
The opening goal? The one CdS overcommitted on?
I am frustrated with him too, you think I am happy with it? I just find it ridiculous how we have a bunch of trolls here who aren’t actual fans trying to gaslight the forum into thinking Petey is going to be like this for the rest of his contract.

We literally had 2 downs in his entire career with us, have some perspectives. His first down was after he came back from a wrist injury that basically took him out for what looks 30 games? And this is his 2nd slump for whatever reason and we are talking as if this is an annual occurrence.

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
It was the most obvious thing ever. We watched it happen for 2 months costing games. Tocchet not looking like the genius he was earlier - looking like he’s out of answers really.

Every coach has his warts, and we're seeing his now. I've no doubt he'll learn and improve, but, will he learn and improve in the next few days? Let's see 🤔

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
It was the most obvious thing ever. We watched it happen for 2 months costing games. Tocchet not looking like the genius he was earlier - looking like he’s out of answers really.
I don’t think Tocchet is actually a good coach.

He says the right things.

But he can’t get the players to actually execute.

He also hasn’t shown he can adjust on the fly well.

And the PP has been atrocious for months without a hint of it getting better.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I think Boeser Miller and Hughes have had better games. I think Miller and Hughes were guilty of trying too hard. Boeser seemed to revert to mid Boeser but maybe that’s him trying to be calm with all the pressure.

Pettersson has been terrible the 2nd half of the season for a guy that’s paid and relied upon to consistently lead the team. I have no ill will for the guy personally, but in the business of hockey he’s a negative asset right now. If he can’t even break out for the playoffs then it doesn’t matter how great a guy he is or that he’ll turn it around one day. He’s paid like a superstar and needs to turn it around now, not next year. As the highest paid player and one of the worst performing over the last few months, it’s bad business to hang onto him and expect to win anything.
I think yeah the whole top6 is playing like crap right now. A lot of lazy passes, trying to be too fancy and holding onto puck for too long. They all need to simplify their game and just go go go.

Regarding Petey, truth is we don’t have all the details, we have no f***ing clue what is happening behind the scenes. So it’s pointless to look at it from the outside and assume he’s just bad. If this management group has no issues keeping him around despite them being known for willing to trade everyone and anyone as long as they think they can improve the team, then I trust them to make that decision with info we don’t have. I think they have proven competent enough this season to be trustworthy.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Lindholm - was not good either defensively or defensively - I think there is an underlying injury that has hampered his skating all year. Was able to skate well in the first game but you wonder if some injury doesn't allow him to sustain it. May regret not taking the 9 mill long term deal in Calgary given his play with the Canucks. Better player than he is showing but, right now, is not helping the team
Just a bad decision by Lindholm on the second goal. He chased to the non-dangerous side of that 2v1 battle that Juulsen was in, leaving the reversal to Forsberg wide open.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Are we acting like kuzy wasn't trash defensively now?
Zero goals against so far have been the fault of wingers. We are barely allowing shots at all, some warts can be afforded.

2nd year players can be taught more sound play, but you can't teach a 6 year vet how to score 30+

Also ignores that he could have been replaced after the trade.

EP was also a 70ish point guy before Kuz came to down, and has been exactly that since he left.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I don’t think Tocchet is actually a good coach.

He says the right things.

But he can’t get the players to actually execute.

He also hasn’t shown he can adjust on the fly well.

And the PP has been atrocious for months without a hint of it getting better.
The over reaction is insane. He coached this team to 50 wins. Let’s chill out.
We lost a game where our coach failed to get the players to adjust to all the damn shot blocks. If that persists that go for it.

PP is a giant f***ing issue, get the Sedins on it and see if they can fix it.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

Tocchet has a blind spot for the PP or something. He basically said post-game he thought it was doing well but unlucky not to score. The Canuck are like bottom third in 5-on-5 chance generation since the all-star break anyways (and believe the Preds are like top 3ish) so all the scoring issues are the same, they haven’t really been generating quality offense for half the season now at even strength or on the PP.

Reactions: Hodgy

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
I keep harping on the same few things but last post for the night

1. We have to sign Joshua and Zadorov. These are playoff performers who play the right way. Management needs to prioritize players who can step up like this in the playoffs, not just regular season perimeter players
2. We have to move Mikheyev. Like there’s just no path to success with his cap hit to whatever this output is
3. We need a top 6 scoring winger, maybe even two, to be a real contending threat
4. I still can’t believe Tocchet ran PP1 all year and we didn’t hire a dedicated PP coach. It’s on the players too, but at some point you do need a competent voice to guide you

Reactions: B-rock and Flik

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Just a bad decision by Lindholm on the second goal. He chased to the non-dangerous side of that 2v1 battle that Juulsen was in, leaving the reversal to Forsberg wide open.
Not sure he expected Juulsen to take the wrong side. Juulsen should’ve blocked thr lane to the net but somehow he went outside instead.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
Personally I roll with DeSmith again next game. Give him one more chance to write his story. If he falters again then it's Silovs ship to sink.
No way. No time for that. For me it's the opposite: go to Silovs next game and if he falters then go right back to DeSmith and let the chips fall where they may with him. On the flip side, maybe Silovs comes in and performs well and the team gets a boost from that, both hockey wise and confidence wise.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Brett Festerling said the first goal against was on Pettersson too.

So that’s two goals against on him and the missed nets on the other end. I’d be worried if he wasn’t taking accountability after that.

Anyways, let’s get two in Nashville

Bench Juulsen next game, guy is ass leakage
Horrible performance. Stood out when all you needed him to do was just survive ten minutes and throw two big hits

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Not sure he expected Juulsen to take the wrong side. Juulsen should’ve blocked thr lane to the net but somehow he went outside instead.
Juulsen was battling for the puck against two guys. Joshua is there if the puck goes up the boards toward the hashmarks. Lindholm has to be ready for the puck potentially getting chipped back to Forsberg.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad