Post-Game Talk: WCQF GM02 | Vancouver Canucks lose to Nashville Predators | 4-1 (Zadorov) | Stars Can't Score

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
I'd tend to agree tbh. We're all eager for Silovs to the rescue. But walking into that Nashville building for their own first home game of the playoffs...that's a lot. It's a wild atmosphere.
My real worry is that we know the refs will give the home bias for Nashville meanwhile we really got none the last two games.

I don't think we'll dominate remotely close to tonight because every time Nashville needs a momentum shift at home, they will likely get it.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
"we need to shoot when we have a chance to shoot".

-Richard Tok (Canucks coach circa ~2024).

They set a post-season record for shot attempts. Not sure what he’s saying, maybe hit the net and don’t shoot high and wide everytime, or hit a Predator shin pad.

Reactions: Bleach Clean

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
DeSmith, Silovs…doesn’t really matter. We *might* get past Nashville, but the season just got set in stone barring a minor miracle.
Totally fine imo. This team doesn't quite have the horses to go on a deep run yet, maybe we'd get lucky, Demko steals us round 2 etc, but a full cup run would have required so much luck anyways.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
They set a post-season record for shot attempts. Not sure what he’s saying, maybe hit the net and don’t shoot high and wide everytime, or hit a Predator shin pad.

Felt extremely pointed and poignant to me.

Pettersson. Basically. But JT Bozo did a few of them himself. Passing off prime one-timer opportunity to try to make a cute backdoor bumper play. You can't look an open net in the mouth or whatever. Just wire it home. Period. At least make Saros make a save.

My real worry is that we know the refs will give the home bias for Nashville meanwhile we really got none the last two games.

I don't think we'll dominate remotely close to tonight because every time Nashville needs a momentum shift at home, they will likely get it.

I really don't care about the refs at all tbh.

This is the better team. They just need to play like it.

iRageWin

Aug 7, 2014
Tbh a one-legged Demko shot up with painkillers is probably still much better than DeSmith or Silovs. With the OEL cap crunch coming in the next few years, I honestly wouldn't be opposed to risking long-term health issues to go all in.

That said, history has shown that doing this to players is super messed up and unethical. So we will probably stick with our backups

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Felt extremely pointed and poignant to me.

Pettersson. Basically. But JT Bozo did a few of them himself. Passing off prime one-timer opportunity to try to make a cute backdoor bumper play. You can't look an open net in the mouth or whatever. Just wire it home. Period. At least make Saros make a save.

84 shot attempts to 36 for the Preds. Yes obviously execution is shit. Has been for basically 40 games.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
MIght have been said, but game pointed out the importance of the Canucks getting a lead. If they can, then they can run the 4 lines and play good defensively and wait for breaks - which is exactly what Nashville did and does. Also you have to get something off the PP. Chances seeming there but lack of touch around the net was a killer.

Good

Zadorov - showing what you need in the playoffs. Top end talent when he plays like this.

Suter - was getting to net and looked most likely to score. Skated well. Really one of best efforts as a Canuck. Could criticize fact he didn't put away chances but Saros was very good against him.

Soucy - thought he played strong around his net and broke up some good chances Preds were about to get. Also got some good up ice pressure.

Not Good

deSmith - jittery all game. Seemed to pull himself out of position on the first goal as he overreacted to the shot and pulled himself away from the center of the net leaving one side wide open. Then, on the second, left his post anticipating a cross crease pass which was already covered by a d-man. Then the big fat rebound. Can't put it totally on him as the team produced so little offense but he has to better than this.

Miller - forcing play too much and making too many errant passes. Not good defensively and trying to do too much by himslef.

Lindholm - was not good either defensively or defensively - I think there is an underlying injury that has hampered his skating all year. Was able to skate well in the first game but you wonder if some injury doesn't allow him to sustain it. May regret not taking the 9 mill long term deal in Calgary given his play with the Canucks. Better player than he is showing but, right now, is not helping the team

Hoglander - huge disappointment so far. His inability to stay in the play means someone like Boeser is getting way too much ice time.

Juulsen - give him some credit for hitting but play around his net was, at times, dreadful. Losing Myers is important. Maybe some of those so quick with the Myers riducule should be asking themselves some questions. Always been stupid.

Pettersson - hasn't been good for awhile. MIssing the open net like he did hurt bad in this game. Also way too many turnovers due to a lack of anticipation and getting caught flat-footed. Overall play remains mediocre at best. Loss was not all his fault and he shouldn't be scape-goated - plenty of blame to be passed around.

Series not over and Canucks controlled enough of the play to believe they can win. However, they are going to need more out of certain players. Two keys to the success in the regular season, Garland and Hronek, need to provide more and obvioulsy they need more out of top end players like Miller and Pettersson. Plus the team needs to play better as team overall and not become too fragmented and individualistic.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Yeah no chance we start Silovs until a real bad DeSmith showing or our backs are against the walls.

The series hinges on EP and Miller taking us where they want to go

Reactions: biturbo19

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
chill, it’s one game where we badly outplayed the Preds and we lost because we can’t f***ing get our shots past their D. They are going to make adjustments, they better f***ing make adjustments to counter that.

Sure there is also the possibility of Petey blowing up offensively after he gets 1 goal and those slamming him will also look like f***ing idiots.

Sick and tired of “fans” basically laying into our players instead of actually being supportive. It’s like they want to be right about our player being bad rather than support them and want them to be good.
I care more about try than I do results. Right now, I'm not seeing either. The play on the opening goal was Marneresque.

I just don't see how you can't be frustrated with this player. His "ups" have been incredible but his "downs" have been frustrating as hell and far too often. "He's injured"... "It's in his head".... "He's trying to get Benning fired". Whatever the excuse is this time, I just want to see him leave it all on the ice.

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
Team talks a lot.

Their actions say otherwise.

I don’t see that changing.
Fair enough, I saw a ton of effort tonight so I'm not gonna question that at all. Execution? Sure, it was awful.

Coaching staff needs to wear a lot of this too, I wasn't seeing a ton of adjustments either

B-rock

Jun 29, 2003
Vancouver
chill, it’s one game where we badly outplayed the Preds and we lost because we can’t f***ing get our shots past their D. They are going to make adjustments, they better f***ing make adjustments to counter that.

Sure there is also the possibility of Petey blowing up offensively after he gets 1 goal and those slamming him will also look like f***ing idiots.

Sick and tired of “fans” basically laying into our players instead of actually being supportive. It’s like they want to be right about our player being bad rather than support them and want them to be good.
I think Boeser Miller and Hughes have had better games. I think Miller and Hughes were guilty of trying too hard. Boeser seemed to revert to mid Boeser but maybe that’s him trying to be calm with all the pressure.

Pettersson has been terrible the 2nd half of the season for a guy that’s paid and relied upon to consistently lead the team. I have no ill will for the guy personally, but in the business of hockey he’s a negative asset right now. If he can’t even break out for the playoffs then it doesn’t matter how great a guy he is or that he’ll turn it around one day. He’s paid like a superstar and needs to turn it around now, not next year. As the highest paid player and one of the worst performing over the last few months, it’s bad business to hang onto him and expect to win anything.

Reactions: Jay26

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Hoglander has struggled with the physicality, I think he is scratched next game.
One of the disappointments so far. You can see why Tocchet decided to go with experience in PDG over Podkolzin as PDG has looked pretty good in his minutes.

Though, Lafferty has looked underwhelming. I’d look to give Pod a try though

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
This is a series that Kuzmenko is badly missed.

Every game will be tilted possession wise for the Nucks, but the only guys that seem to want to score, are the ones with stone hands and muffin shots.

Kuzzy bears down on the Suter whiff beside the net. He takes the extra move back to allow Silovs to fall flat on his face and roof it, rather than just pushing the puck into his leg pad like Joshua. Kuz buries one of those backdoor tips that Boeser kept putting wide, and Kuz sure as hell doesn't try for some hero sauce pass when staring down and empty fuggin net.

He knew exactly when to release, or extend the play and change up the angle. Rarely see his shots blocked so cleanly.

Was a mistake to trade him, made into a bigger mistake by not replacing him.

Reactions: Horvat1C

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Pettersson - hasn't been good for awhile. MIssing the open net like he did hurt bad in this game. Also way too many turnovers due to a lack of anticipation and getting caught flat-footed. Overall play remains mediocre at best. Loss was not all his fault and he shouldn't be scape-goated - plenty of blame to be passed around.

Thank you for that measured take on Pettersson. You have it exactly right. He's getting scapegoated while the team can't hit the broadside of a barn (him included, but not just him).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad