Post-Game Talk: WCQF GM02 | Vancouver Canucks lose to Nashville Predators | 4-1 (Zadorov) | Stars Can't Score

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
Tonight was just straight up bad luck and a few bad bounces. Vancouver controlled the entire game. At no time was Nashville ever in control of the game tonight. I have no worries about this series yet. If Vancouver keeps playing like they did tonight they will absolutely start seeing the bounces go their way. It's not nearly the doom and gloom some of you are making it out to be.
I would have this mindset if they shot 40+ on net and got stymied. That wasn't the case tonight though. All that possession and all the attempts don't mean shit if they're not on net. Then how are you going to score anyway, Saros or no Saros?

Reactions: Indiana and B-rock

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
On net. The Carolina model.

But you just said they lack shooters because they missed the net a bunch. A strategy of taking lots of shots would then be about the opportunities, not what they manage to get on the net, no? I do agree the team lacks high end shooter, but I feel like if anything the team is taking too many low percentage shots. They’re cycling it around and taking perimeter shots and hoping for rebounds and tips, but they’re struggling to get open looks. They were playing more counter attack hockey earlier in the year and that’s one of the reasons they had a high shooting percentage on lower shots because they were actually generating off man rushes and open looks at the net

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
So we're supposed to be cool with this guy deciding to mail it in every other season and only play when he feels like it? "Oh, don't worry.. he'll better next year!"... holy shit.
chill, it’s one game where we badly outplayed the Preds and we lost because we can’t f***ing get our shots past their D. They are going to make adjustments, they better f***ing make adjustments to counter that.

Sure there is also the possibility of Petey blowing up offensively after he gets 1 goal and those slamming him will also look like f***ing idiots.

Sick and tired of “fans” basically laying into our players instead of actually being supportive. It’s like they want to be right about our player being bad rather than support them and want them to be good.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
I don't think anyone here predicted us to sweep so I dunno why everyone is in full blown panick mode that we lost a game.

Ah who am I kidding this is HFBoards Canucks. Of course we overreact!
First real playoffs in almost 10 years so we have a lot of pent up energy ready to burst at the seams. Kind of like our offense blueballing and edging us all night.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
If the team does this thing for the whole season, is it what they do or is it a narrative?
Shots are a proxy for possession; shots aren't scoring chances. The Canucks had 30 scoring chances to 13 5on5. Idgaf if the shots are low, if you are generating opportunities to score, then you can score. Would a 40-shot performance with only 20 scoring chances be a better outcome?

I think emotions are high, but objectively, if Nashville plays like this for the rest of the series, they will lose. The Canucks played well and generated plenty of chances.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Anyone calling to trade EP should realize that he is 25 and 2 years off from the top of the bell curve of his career. He'll be fine long term.

Short term, I think that away from Rogers Arena, he might actually be dangerous without the pressure of playing in front of friendly fans.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I have no confidence in desmith. He has no confidence in himself. Was losing his net again. Always checking behind himself. He looks tiny in net.

I go with silovs on Friday.
Gotta agree, he looks terrified. Silovs has been in high pressure situations before, and he IS purportedly our "goalie of the future". He played great in all but maybe one game this year. We'd be nuts to not try him. DeSmith is clearly not the answer.

ferroid

Mar 22, 2010
Good d coverage would take away 2 ep gives puck away and blows his coverage on one lets his man free on another you cannot do that and win
Both these things can be true. A goalie should save your team from defensive breakdowns. DeSmith, during the second half of the season and now, is not bailing out his team for their mistakes

Reactions: Indiana

Feb 20, 2013
Was keeping up a bit with the GDT, I have to say that there were some wild comments being thrown out there. That game was absolute domination from the Canucks.

The Canucks generated 20 scoring chances alone in the 3rd period had a xGF even strength of 2.95. The hits were 47 to 30, blocked shots were 30 to 8.

Nashville walks out of Vancouver as phyric victors, but they are going to have to show a whole lot more if they can beat the Canucks over 7. They need more than a few bounces.
Absolutely. If that is what it takes for Nashville to win, they stand no chance in winning the series. Just completely outclassed everywhere but in net.

Nashville got both lucky bounces on their goals and lucky bounces on Canucks shots, especially those posts in tight and they needed both to win. That ain't going to happen 3 more times.

Pettersson has not been nearly as bad as he is being made out to be. 0.75 on ice PDO tells the whole story. One of the few players making passes to keep the defenders guessing instead of shooting all the time.

Hopefully Podkolzin comes in for game 3. He is a proven playoff performer at the KHL level. Right now Mikheyev and Hoglander have been the weakest links, but I would prefer to see PDG out.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Ah so it was a semantics argument. Ok. There are centres on the PP but no wingers. Are there Dmen? Just trying to figure out what you're saying.

Powerplay is where positions literally do not matter. There is no "Center" or "Winger". It's an entirely different phase of the game where unique principles and systems apply. That's why i note that the Oilers historic Powerplay was basically just a bunch of guys who play at 5v5 as "Centers". And it's historically good. So wtf does "Wingers" matter to a powerplay? It's not even a "position" on the powerplay. It's just nonsense.

You're claiming it's a "semantics" thing...but trying to press the point on semantics anyway?

Nov 1, 2011
Desmith looks like he can’t get off the ice fast enough

Get the sports psychologist on him and Petey.

May need to go with Silvos if DeSmith doesn’t have his head on straight. He was lights out when the pressure was on in the World Championships.

Reactions: B-rock

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
chill, it’s one game where we badly outplayed the Preds and we lost because we can’t f***ing get our shots past their D. They are going to make adjustments, they better f***ing make adjustments to counter that.

Sure there is also the possibility of Petey blowing up offensively after he gets 1 goal and those slamming him will also look like f***ing idiots.

Sick and tired of “fans” basically laying into our players instead of actually being supportive. It’s like they want to be right about our player being bad rather than support them and want them to be good.
When the team has the same issues for the entire second half of the season, the faith and benefit of the doubt are kind of spent by the time you get to the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad