Post-Game Talk: WCQF [GM01] Canucks defeat Predators | 4-2 (Lindholm, Suter, & Joshua(2)) | Never in Doubt!

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Watch the replay of Joshua's first goal again. 9/10 players that aren't 30-40+ goal scorers are panicking and trying to get that on net ASAP. He picked a corner from 6 feet out.
DJ
I don't really get this "process" piece, at least for last night. Like I said before, I thought he was attentive and effective at the "little things" and details of the game. I would be more concerned if he just started cheating to create some offense, because he's in a production drought.

And yes, I know he needs to produce more. I said this. But I don't think his style will ever look "imposing". And it will be harder for him to create the slick plays we're used to seeing playing with Hoglander and Lafferty - two guys without much creativity who pretty much just skate in a straight line and then shoot or go to the net.

Yep. Part of the problem are Petey's linemates. They're not guys that really mesh with his style.

I do think the lines they have set up as current are mostly optimal though. So I don't think there is much they can do there.
Its almost entirely about his personality type.

They want to see him lash outwards when frusteated not inwards.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
No one is saying that he’s generating no offense,
Tons of people are saying that. The GDT thread was chock full of comments like this and that narrative is what I strongly disagree with.
only that he’s not generating the offense you would expect a player of his calibre and cap hit would generate.
I agree and have said the same, even accounting for having the worst set of wingers in the top 9. Maybe we don't have much of an argument.

My issue is with the bombastic comments that flooded the GDT and elsewhere saying that he's non existent with zero impact. That's just not true. He was stealing pucks, taking shots and generating chances by himself for his wingers that were totally wasted because last night both wingers were bonafide fourth liners.

this is also evidenced on the game sheet.
Which game sheet?

TropicOfNoReturn

May 30, 2021
Just finished reading the Oilers Out of Town GDT thread. What in the actual **** is wrong with those guys? Embarrassing.
I went and took a look - wow. There is some serious insecurity going on there. What a bunch of clowns.

I legitimately feel dumber for having read any of that thread (or really anything on the Oilers board).

• Love
Reactions: Indiana

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I went and took a look - wow. There is some serious insecurity going on there. What a bunch of clowns.

I legitimately feel dumber for having read any of that thread (or really anything on the Oilers board).

Same mentality as Tottenham fans who when polled would rather see their team lose an important game than win if winning would help Arsenal win the league.

Loser city, loser team. Their Stanley Cup is seeing us lose.

It will be funny when that team inevitably moves south.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I agree with MS on the physicality last night. I don’t expect Nashville to look the same in game 2, but yeah, we were very clearly the bigger and meaner team. Every line had someone getting in and laying the body

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Seemed like Nashville played almost exclusively a rope-a-dope counter-attack style in game 1. We were in control for the most part and dominated possession, but every time the puck went back the other way, they looked like they were always almost on the verge of a 4-on-2 (at least in the first half of the game), which was kind of scary to watch. Despite lack of control, they also looked like the far less nervous and sharper team, until Vancouver took over in the second half. That chance they had on Demko also might have been the best chance of the game by either team.

I did notice Hughes elude a few hit attempts as well.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

I wonder if they've studied previous challenges where there is contact but the puck is just barely past the goalie already and it's moot. CBC panel discussed a couple of them including one where Jake Allen got completely interfered with before the puck went in and it was counted as a good goal.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I wonder if they've studied previous challenges where there is contact but the puck is just barely past the goalie already and it's moot. CBC panel discussed a couple of them including one where Jake Allen got completely interfered with before the puck went in and it was counted as a good goal.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the video team has an extensive archive of plays and results.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if they didn’t since NHL front offices tend to be weirdly backwards about a lot of things.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I wouldn’t be surprised if the video team has an extensive archive of plays and results.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if they didn’t since NHL front offices tend to be weirdly backwards about a lot of things.

I feel like any good video coach should have an extensive collection of precedent and keeps tabs of every reviewed play each year to have the best shot at winning the call based on the most up to date information possible.

I feel like you maybe win that specific scenario 30-40% of the time which is not a good rate, all because the puck was just past the goalie already and it was likely a moot point.

Feb 19, 2018
Now that Lindholm is playing well I’d like to see Petey slot left wing beside him with Hoglander RW and Bluegar between Garland and Joshua. Lafferty, Mikheyev and Podkolzin or Aman in the 4th line.

This has to be the way to get Petey rolling and if we have the lead going into the third roll Miller, Petey, Lindholm, Bluegar down the middle to have a threat on each line and shut teams down.

Reactions: Indiana

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Yep. Part of the problem are Petey's linemates. They're not guys that really mesh with his style.

I do think the lines they have set up as current are mostly optimal though. So I don't think there is much they can do there.

I'd actually like to see Petey with Suter. They are both good at anticipating plays and intercepting passes in the neutral zone or the opponent's blueline, they just need a RW to blaze in on the forecheck.

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
Out of curiosity I went and read the Oilers' around the league thread for the first time. That is some deranged, bitter, weirdness. It would be a dream to beat them in round 2.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I'd actually like to see Petey with Suter. They are both good at anticipating plays and intercepting passes in the neutral zone or the opponent's blueline, they just need a RW to blaze in on the forecheck.
I think Suter would be a better option than Lafferty or Mikheyev, but the Suter-Miller-Boeser line is like 63% xG, so it's hard to break them up.

Reactions: Nucker101

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I feel like any good video coach should have an extensive collection of precedent and keeps tabs of every reviewed play each year to have the best shot at winning the call based on the most up to date information possible.

I feel like you maybe win that specific scenario 30-40% of the time which is not a good rate, all because the puck was just past the goalie already and it was likely a moot point.

I thought it was a 50/50 call but when opposition PPs operate at 20% to me the math says you challenge.

Reactions: Nucker101

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
Just imagine the thread theyd make for that...itd be the funniest thing ever

Lol, I actually love watching McDavid and Drai. Both are generational players, maybe once in a lifetime with McDavid. But their fans are loathsome.

The way they need to cram as many digs and unfunny nicknames as possible into each post makes them read like a Trump tweet.

Last edited:

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the big boys on the blue line. I said this during the season; this team is built for playoff hockey on the blue line. They could really use a big bruiser up front as well, but kudos to Alvin and company for having put together a well crafted team, and to tocchet for having gotten the most out of them.

Reactions: MS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad