GDT: WCQF | Game 5 | Vancouver Canucks @ St. Louis Blues | Aug 19 | 7:30PM PST | SPAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
WHEN: August 19th, 7:30PM PST
WHERE: Rogers Place, Edmonton, AB
TV: Sportsnet Pacific, NBCSN
RADIO: Sportsnet 650

Best-of-Seven Series Tied 2-2

b4f04de3-9fa5-49ed-a03a-2c6a9f361681-jpeg.359607

Vancouver Canucks’ Starting Lineup (unconfirmed)

Boeser - Pettersson- Miller
Eriksson - Horvat - Pearson
Roussel - Sutter - Virtanen
Motte - Beagle - MacEwen

Edler - Stecher
Hughes - Tanev
Fantenberg - Benn

Markstrom

Canucks’ Top Scorers:
Quinn Hughes - 8GP, 1G, 8A, 9Pts
Elias Pettersson - 8GP, 4G, 5A, 9Pts

Bo Horvat - 8GP, 6G, 2A, 8Pts

St. Louis Blues’ Starting Lineup:

Schwarz - O’Reilly - Perron
Schenn - Bozak - Sundqvist
Sanford - Thomas - Blais
MacEachern - De La Rose - Kyrou

Gunnarsson - Pietrangelo
Scandella - Parayko
Faulk - Dunn

Allen

Blues’ Top Scorers:
Ryan O’Reilly - 7GP, 3G, 6A, 9Pts
David Perron - 7GP, 4G, 4A, 8Pts

Alex Pietrangelo - 7GP, 1G, 4A, 5Pts

OPERATION 19 WINS:

Win 1:

Win 2:

Win 3:

Win 4:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyCHZR4w-94

Win 5:
https://youtu.be/dWnuz68ImNU

Notes in Advance of Game 5:
Canucks F Micheal Ferland is unfit to play.
Canucks F Tyler Toffoli is unfit to play.
Canucks D Tyler Myers is unfit to play.

Moderator’s Note:
Hopefully this is the start of a long, fun run for the fans here to enjoy together. I just want to remind everyone of some rules of decorum before we get underway - treat each other with respect, and please report any posts that you feel violate the Site Rules rather than replying to them. Also, not that it should need repeating at this point - using this thread or this board to cheer against the Canucks is trolling and will be treated accordingly.

Relax, have fun, and Go Canucks Go!​

Reactions: Ginger Papa and m9

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I know there is lots of other stuff going on this series, but the shift really comes down to 2 things for me.

1) The Canucks special teams advantage has gone away. Blues look much better on both the PP & PK.
2) We thought Bo Horvat was going full "Nashville Kesler", but it turns out ROR is doing that instead.

Time for Green to get some things figured out.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Toffoli and Myers would be useful here.

For the Canucks to win, they HAVE TO stop with the unforced errors. When our D has the puck in their own zone and they have a few seconds before the fore-checker is on him, he HAS to make a clean pass. Forwards HAVE to come back deep enough to support the D.
Passes sent poorly or received poorly in the defensive zone OR the neutral zone, i counted 50 last game...
This is what the Canucks CAN control
Second issue is losing puck battles against the boards. I dont expect them to be able to change this as the Blues are very good at this. HOWEVER, when we have them OUTNUMBERED in the puck battle you have to win it....no excuses. Last game i counted five times where we had the blues out numbered in a board battle and the blues came out with possession.... that is absolutely inexcusable.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I know there is lots of other stuff going on this series, but the shift really comes down to 2 things for me.

1) The Canucks special teams advantage has gone away. Blues look much better on both the PP & PK.
2) We thought Bo Horvat was going full "Nashville Kesler", but it turns out ROR is doing that instead.

Time for Green to get some things figured out.

I don’t think (hope) that our PP will be anemic for two games in a row. I do think the top unit needs to stop passing the puck around and to for the simple shot-rebound-crash the net type goals.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
Perhaps we could've won 1 of the last 2 games if binnington had stayed in net, but berube adjusted and green hasn't.

Won't be surprised if we lose game 5 too.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Far from over
The boys could use a shuffle of the deck, Gaudette in for sure, maybe move Boeser to Horvats line

I think the Canucks have allowed the pressure to get to them, it’s not like our skill and system ain’t up to snuff, but when the playoffs got going it’s obviously changed the confidence of this team, like a poster has stated earlier it’s all about unforced errors and that is the key, how many pucks were bobbled at the point, or pucks either lobbed out of the zone

Truthfully we don’t have the scoring depth to go deep in the playoffs but we can squeaked our another win or two, I’m going to go with Blues in 7 and I’m not at all disappointed in this season whatsoever

what we already knew.....Out bottom six is too expensive for what they do, our defense needs another top 4 stud

what we learned..... Hughes, Petey, Horvat, Miller, Marky can compete and Virtanen is NOT the playoff machine we thought he would be

let’s go

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Imagine if we had given Brogan Rafferty a look this season and could tell if he'd be able to step in and try to resuscitate our 2nd PP unit

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
Line up changes are needed, adjustments need to be made, we win.

now do it.

And no working out on game days no more.
I was hoping they would try line up changes yesterday. Now the situation is more dire and there is even more pressure on the young guns.

I hate being an armchair coach but I just do not understand Travis Green.

Last edited:

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Boys need a reset. Game 3 they should have won but got utterly dominated last night.

Where has Horvat, Sutter, etc gone?

Time for Horvat to show his leadership.

I believe. Go Canucks.

Horvat is still there but getting homed in on. Like JT Miller, Pete and Hughes.

St Louis has 0 respect for the bottom 6 or Loui Eriksson. They are getting room to distribute the puck or skate it in but there is just 0 skill in the bottom 6 to do anything impactful.

Good Canucks teams in the past had great secondary scoring. Big goals scored by Cooke, Klatt, Linden (later years), Torres, Lappiere, Hansen, Higgins. Most recently you had Bo Horvat doing some scoring in 2015.

You legit look down and see no hope in hell for the likes of Beagle, Sutter, Eriksson, Roussel, and Virtanen to do anything. Devoid of offensive skill or brains to process offense.

Reactions: Indiana

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I'm really interested in what the lineup looks like for Game 5. I know some people want Gaudette on the wing and that may be the answer long-term, but I don't think you can test that out in this situation.

The bottom six I would roll with is this:

Roussel-Gaudette-Virtanen
Motte-Beagle-Sutter

Use their zone starts accordingly through two periods, and then if you are either winning or losing in the final 10 minutes it's obvious which line takes a seat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad