WCQF Game 3: Vegas Golden Knights (1) at LA Kings (WC1) 7:30 PT | CBC, TVAS, NBCSN, FS-W, ATTSN-RM

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Paint It Black and Take It Back
DaPGNYQWsAAfLew.jpg:large

Regular Season Stats:

Vegas Golden Knights(51-24-7, 109pts, 1st in Pacific) @ Los Angeles Kings(45-29-8, 98 pts, Wild Card1)
Staples Center| Los Angeles, CA
TIME: 7:30 pm PT | TV: Fox Sports West/NBCSN/CBC | RADIO: 790 KABC

Previous Meetings:
April 13 VGK 2-1
April 11 VGK 1-0
FEB 27 LAK 4-1
FEB 26 LAK 3-2 (OT)
DEC 28 VGK 3-2 (OT)
NOV 19 VGK 4-2

VGK lead the series 2-0

:kings:vegas
PP/PK17th/1st11th/12th
Faceoffs17th24th
Leading ScorersAnze Kopitar: 35 goals, 57 assists, 92 pointsWilliam Karlsson: 43 goals, 35 assists, 78 points
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Possible Lines*
:kings
SDl3TxZ.png

ILIsF3K.png

zPW5sH7.png

Extras: Andy Andreoff, Johnny Brodzinski, Michael Amadio, Kevin Gravel
Injuries: Derek Forbort
Not-Eligible: Sheldon Rempel, Daniel Brickley

updated lines. Iafallo, Muzzin and Doughty back in. Gravel, Amadio and Ladue out.

:vegas
1NTi6E4.png

XwLhLrk.png

llvVXT8.png

Injuries: David Clarkson, Mikhail Grabovski, Luca Sbisa?, David Perron?, Oscar Lindberg?

Does not appear to be any changes for the Golden Knights.

*Lines are not Final! Lines subject to change*

Playoff Pump Up HF user created videos!:

By @Blikian29

By @Kylo Ren

News/Notes:
L6S7qTQ.png

*from LA Kings playoff media guide
https://nhl.bamcontent.com/images/assets/binary/297865588/binary-file/file.pdf
  • The LA Kings are 19-26 in game 3 of a playoff series. They've won 13 of 19 series when they win game 3. They've won 7 of 26 series when they lose game 3.
  • Game 2 was just as tightly contested as it was in game as both sides continued to play tough defense. Game 2 went to double overtime and while the Kings got better as the game went along in regulation, the Kings were running on empty in overtime.
  • With Drew Doughty out suspended Alec Martinex and Oscar Fantenberg carried the load on Friday night both playing well over 40 minutes.
  • It appears that Jake Muzzin will step back into the lineup tonight after missing several games to end the regular season and missing games 1 and 2.
  • Marc-Andre Fleury went 29-13-4 this season for the Knights with a 2.24 GAA and .927% save%. He has won 3 Stanley Cups with the Pittsburgh Penguins and has started in 113 playoff games. In the playoffs he is 62-51 with a 2.65 GAA and a .908 save%
  • Jonathan Quick went 33-28-3 this season with a 2.40 GAA and a .921 save% with 5 shutouts. He has won 2 Stanley Cups with a Con Smythe win in 2012. He has appeared in 81 playoff games and has a 2.27 GAA and a .921 save% with 9 shutouts. Quick made 54 saves out of 56 in game 2 and kept the Kings throughout the game (again).

GO KINGS GO!!!

Lines from dailyfaceoff.com

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
can't wait!

the best series I've seen so far this year

Game 1: Hits 68-59
Game 2: Hits 80-56

263 hits over a 2 game span lol

what a bone crushing series gotta love it

goodluck guys! may the best team win!

Hal 9000

Nov 19, 2016
Game 2 was played as expected. The Kings came out crashing, while the Knights tried to play a more open game. LA, spent the better part of 2 periods trying to defend their end and soften up the Knights who capitalized on a first period power play, and found themselves in a tie game after 2 periods thanks to a lucky bounce that made its way past Fleury. No scoring in the third period led to OT and again into 2OT where Erik Haula scored from a nice pass from James Neal. The Kings, working with a shortened bench and after a staggering amount of hits throughout the game looked tired in the OT and it was only a matter of time before the inevitable.

Quick and Fleury were both very good, with Quick facing the most shots of his career, but the Kings offense without a suspended Drew Doughty was no challenge for Fleury. Brown may have been the best King with Kopitar and Carter barely noticeable. The Knights again rolled their lines and the had a pretty even effort from everybody. Line 2, Neal had 11 SOG, while Tuch scored on the PP Haula scored the OT winner. As for my picks to watch, Nate Scmidt was very good and named second star, Tatar was actually pretty good and if Eakin had been a little better, that line may have potted a couple. One area of concern for the Knights, is the play of 43goal man William Karlsson who, under heavy checking seems out of sync with his line mates.

As for tonight, if the Kings want to play another 4 or 5 games (and they do), they'll have to get down to playing open ended hockey. Doughty will be back and Jake Muzzin will also be dressed, this should help the Kings offense. Convention wisdom says that when Doughty is angered, he plays better, however weve seen this backfire at times with him, he'll have to keep his emotions in check tonight. Kopitar and Carter will come to play tonight. The Knights won't change a thing and will enjoy what I expect to be a less physical game than either games 1 or 2. Both goaltenders have been rock solid, but this can' continue and won't tonight. This won' be a super high scoring game, but if I was betting the over/under, I'd take the over tonight.

Knights to watch;
Line 1 - I know this looks like hedging, but they havent done a lot, tonight that will change.
Shea Theodore- he'll get some good PP time and I suspect will be difference maker
Alex Tuch - Tuch will be moved around and find weaker defensemen as the top pairings get bogged down with the top Vegas lines.

Edited at 7.35

Last edited:
Reactions: Legionnaire

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Muzzin and Doughty back in?

Excited for this game to go into OT with a 0-0 score.

Although having Perron back should be huge. His ability to not be intimidated by aggressive defenders and to calm the play down should hopefully serve as an example to the rest of the Vegas forwards. Too much trying to mindlessly get the puck in the vicinity of Quick at all times.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The goal-starved Kings are scratching their only player to score a goal in this series, who is also their defenseman with the most shots on goal in the series.

Stevens seems to be getting a little desperate and nostalgic. He's putting his two offensive defensemen (Doughty and Muzzin) together, re-uniting Iafallo with Kopitar and putting the 70s line back together.

Random aside but props to the VGK fans, you guys have been awesome and deserve to be enjoying every bit of this.

I agree. Props to both of them! ;)

(That's not derogatory. HanSolo and Hal 9000 are literally the only two VGK fans that I've seen posting here)

Muzzin and Doughty back in?

Excited for this game to go into OT with a 0-0 score.

Muzzin plays fire wagon hockey. His presence in the lineup will open things up. He almost guarantees a goal for and a goal against, so it'll be at least 1-1 going into OT.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Hal 9000

Nov 19, 2016
If you have Perron available, you've gotta put him in. I think Tatar played well last game, and was finally looking like the guy we traded for. I wouldn't sit him this game, but I trust Gallant and it's not a hill I'm prepared to die on. If we trade Perron for either Tatar or Carpenter, it's a step up...so, whatever. Tatar was one of my Knights to watch, so, I may have to edit that.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
If you have Perron available, you've gotta put him in. I think Tatar played well last game, and was finally looking like the guy we traded for. I wouldn't sit him this game, but I trust Gallant and it's not a hill I'm prepared to die on. If we trade Perron for either Tatar or Carpenter, it's a step up...so, whatever. Tatar was one of my Knights to watch, so, I may have to edit that.
ForthrightGentleFruitbat-max-1mb.gif

I can't think of a single shift that he looked truly dangerous. Sure he chased and retrieved some pucks but he was mostly kept to the perimeter where he was constantly losing the puck. He didn't look like he was worth a second round pick, let alone the full package of picks. I want to see more from him. This is a team built on players thought to be nobodies who proved everyone wrong. Tatar was one of Detroit's few commodities and thus far he's been playing like a plug more often than not. Including last game.

Hal 9000

Nov 19, 2016
ForthrightGentleFruitbat-max-1mb.gif

I can't think of a single shift that he looked truly dangerous. Sure he chased and retrieved some pucks but he was mostly kept to the perimeter where he was constantly losing the puck. He didn't look like he was worth a second round pick, let alone the full package of picks. I want to see more from him. This is a team built on players thought to be nobodies who proved everyone wrong. Tatar was one of Detroit's few commodities and thus far he's been playing like a plug more often than not. Including last game.

I'm not discussing whether he was worth what was given to acquire him. Just that he played a better game on Friday than he has in a long time. Youve never liked him, while i think he has more to give. But, If he sits, he sits.

Neilstrong218

Mar 29, 2018

he did a very good job putting this team together...i am not ready to kick tatar to the curb yet
http://:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:/buluhidung/67/smakk.png
http://:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:/buluhidung/46/imgur.png

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I'm not discussing whether he was worth what was given to acquire him. Just that he played a better game on Friday than he has in a long time. Youve never liked him, while i think he has more to give. But, If he sits, he sits.
I'll start liking him when I see him playing good hockey. He's a perimeter rover so far with Vegas and that has never been the archetype that has led to success on this team. When a team has the shallowest prospect pool in the league and they trade three picks in the top three rounds for one player, I want to see more from that player than only occasionally challenging the goalie with a tough shot.

But the point of my response is what was it about his game in G2 that was so much better? 8 low quality shots on goal? I'm just trying to understand why we have diverging perspectives on that game because to me, sitting him to light a fire under him seems like a great move. I mean don't get me wrong I don't want to let the guy go to waste but I want to see more out of him. Like, he doesn't even have to score but I'd like to see more than just flipping the puck weakly at the net from the perimeter or losing it under the slightest bit of defensive pressure.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
I can sorta give Tatar a pass as it's gotta be hard to come over mid-season and fit in seamlessly with a team that has gelled so well before he got there. Let's give him a full training camp and season afterwards before we call that trade a total bust. That said, if Perron is back Tatar is clearly the odd man out. That 4th line has tremendous chemistry and has been fantastic this series. And Carpy has been too good to come out as well.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Tatar sauce can sit this one out and come back and score the next game. More urgency is needed to beat Quick.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Tatar sauce can sit this one out and come back and score the next game. More urgency is needed to beat Quick.
I don't think it was a lack of urgency that hurt Tatar's game. He was moving his legs quick, I'll give him that. But it looked to me like he was playing with tunnel vision. As soon as an LA defender got decent position, he'd just take the puck to the perimeter and either try to bull his way past a pressuring defender, or try to cycle it around the boards and more often than not it led to a possession change for LA. Like he wouldn't look around and see if there were better places to skate to, he didn't look to make the right pass if needed, he attempted no stickwork to fake defenders out. It was either get past the defender and towards Quick or nothing at all.

He needs more to play smarter and calmer.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Is the thread sponsored by DailyFace off? Straight ripped their lines :laugh:

OP looks great though regardless.

Hal 9000

Nov 19, 2016
I dont think its wise to let opposing fans see this division in us, i think we should keep it in our own room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad