Pre-Game Talk: WCQF - Game 2 - Vancouver Canucks @ St. Louis Blues - Aug 14 - 3:30PM PST - SPAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
WHEN: August 14th, 3:30PM PST
WHERE: Rogers Place, Edmonton, AB
TV: Sportsnet Pacific
RADIO: Sportsnet 650

b4f04de3-9fa5-49ed-a03a-2c6a9f361681-jpeg.359607

Vancouver Canucks’ Starting Lineup (unconfirmed)

Boeser - Pettersson- Miller
Eriksson - Horvat - Pearson
Roussel - Sutter - Virtanen
Motte - Beagle - MacEwen

Edler - Stecher
Hughes - Tanev
Myers - Fantenberg

Markstrom

Canucks’ Top Scorers:
Quinn Hughes - 5GP, 1G, 6A, 7Pts
Bo Horvat - 5GP, 4G, 2A, 6Pts
Elias Pettersson - 5GP, 2G, 3A, 5Pts

St. Louis Blues’ Starting Lineup:

Schwartz - Schenn - Tarasenko
Sanford - O'Reilly - Perron
Sundqvist - Thomas - Bozak
Maceachern - De La Rose - Brouwer

Gunnarsson - Pietrangelo
Scandella - Parayko
Faulk - Dunn

Binnington

Blues’ Top Scorers:
Ryan O’Reilly - 3GP, 0G, 3A, 3Pts
David Perron - 4GP, 3G, 0A, 3Pts
Brayden Schenn - 4GP, 0G, 3A, 3Pts

OPERATION 19 WINS:

Win 1:

Win 2:

Win 3:

Win 4:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyCHZR4w-94

Notes in Advance of Game 2:
Canucks F Micheal Ferland is unfit to play.
Canucks F Tyler Toffoli is unfit to play.

Moderator’s Note:
Hopefully this is the start of a long, fun run for the fans here to enjoy together. I just want to remind everyone of some rules of decorum before we get underway - treat each other with respect, and please report any posts that you feel violate the Site Rules rather than replying to them. Also, not that it should need repeating at this point - using this thread or this board to cheer against the Canucks is trolling and will be treated accordingly.

Relax, have fun, and Go Canucks Go!​

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.

Canada is taking notice

Chicago Blackhawks 2008-09 roster and scoring statistics at hockeydb.com

We're missing a little more than a Seabrook. Look at that roster and the ages of the players contributing.

Patrick Kane 19y 70p
Jonathan Toews 20y 69p
Kris Versteeg 22y 53p
Andrew Ladd 22y 49p
Dave Bolland 22y 47p
Cam Barker 22y 40p (never did it again but he still did it that year)
Dustin Byfuglien 23y 31p
Troy Brouwer 23y 26p (shortened year)
Brent Seabrook 23y 26p

and then a 21 year old Niklas Hjalmarsson getting his first cup of coffee.

The other insane thing, there is not a single player over 30 in the top 19 in scoring. Even the "veteran" scorers in Havlat, Campbell, Keith, and Sharp, are 27, 29, 25, and 26 respectively.

That team was so well built it is terrifying. We don't even come close to the depth they had, nor the prospect cupboard knocking down walls to come in. Something tells me they didnt have 30M tied up in bottom 6 players too

It is nice to be recognized though

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Chicago Blackhawks 2008-09 roster and scoring statistics at hockeydb.com

We're missing a little more than a Seabrook. Look at that roster and the ages of the players contributing.

Patrick Kane 19y 70p
Jonathan Toews 20y 69p
Kris Versteeg 22y 53p
Andrew Ladd 22y 49p
Dave Bolland 22y 47p
Cam Barker 22y 40p (never did it again but he still did it that year)
Dustin Byfuglien 23y 31p
Troy Brouwer 23y 26p (shortened year)
Brent Seabrook 23y 26p

and then a 21 year old Niklas Hjalmarsson getting his first cup of coffee.

The other insane thing, there is not a single player over 30 in the top 19 in scoring. Even the "veteran" scorers in Havlat, Campbell, Keith, and Sharp, are 27, 29, 25, and 26 respectively.

That team was so well built it is terrifying. We don't even come close to the depth they had, nor the prospect cupboard knocking down walls to come in. Something tells me they didnt have 30M tied up in bottom 6 players too

It is nice to be recognized though

LeBrun's tweet doesn't include Boeser/Miller/Pearson/Toffoli

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Jim Benning reportedly had a conversation with the officiating heads after Game 1 vs. the Wild about the rough ride Pettersson was getting. IMO, he should do the same thing here regarding Hughes. Puck battles are one thing, getting cross checked and punched in the face right in front of the ref is quote another.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020

Canada is taking notice, just remember before this season, most pundits were calling us a rebuilding team.

Petey=Kane
Boeser=Sharp
Miller=Poormans Hossa
Horvat=Toews
Toffoli=Ladd
Pearson=Versteeg
Byfuglien=????
Bolland=???

Hughes=Keith
Seabrook=???
Hjalmarsson=???

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Noticed that Blues were going to Markstrom's blocker side off the wing all night ala the Wild's last game but they were shooting for the far side instead of the short side.

Petey showed a side I'd never seen from him before or knew who could do against guys who had 50lbs on him. Huggy is going to need to do something. I had to listen to the US feed and they were cheering for the Blues all night saying what they had to do to show they were champs and that was one of them early on - run Hughes - and they took great pains in showing when they did that all night too.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
You can clearly see the talent and physical strength the Blues have. The Canucks aren't going to be safe until they have 4 wins but I don't think this team has hit its stride yet. You're not going to get the rush going consistently against a team with the d corps and systems play the Blues have. A lot of goals are going to come off the cycle and netfront play. The 4th line did it well but they don't have the talent to finish. Miller can do it but he's playing hurt. Bo has it in him. The D has done a good job of holding the line and keeping possession alive. I think it's going to come down to whether Boeser and Pettersson can play that game.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Noticed that Blues were going to Markstrom's blocker side off the wing all night ala the Wild's last game but they were shooting for the far side instead of the short side.

Petey showed a side I'd never seen from him before or knew who could do against guys who had 50lbs on him. Huggy is going to need to do something. I had to listen to the US feed and they were cheering for the Blues all night saying what they had to do to show they were champs and that was one of them early on - run Hughes - and they took great pains in showing when they did that all night too.

The Canadian feed wasn't too different for large parts, really. When the Blues were being physical and getting their cycle game going, DeBrusk and Cuthbert went on about how that was the game style that had lead to their championship, and how turning it up was going to be their key to success, and that they were starting to click with it. They kept on that right up until Stecher opened the floodgates for Vancouver.

I mean, they're not wrong. That is the style St. Louis needs to play to be successful (and they do a damn good job of it). But I think Hughes will be alright. He hasn't shied away from anyone or anything to this point.

Phil Brooks

Jun 26, 2019
Chicago, IL
Hopefully the refs call the Blues on some of their antics and we capitalize on the PP. That's the only way we can deter them from those away from the play antics, but they'll probably just turn a blind eye to it again.

If the refs keep turning a blind eye, our guys need to retaliate with a nice whack to the shins.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Also shoutout to Edler. Haven't even heard his name much but he's been doing what Edler does best.

Just solid playoff hockey. Still happy to have him on our team.
Yup, just quietly doing what he does. Logging a lot of tough minutes, eating a ton of pucks and not letting the opposition get to the tough areas easily. Plus getting a lot of pucks on net too and helping creating chances offensively.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
The Canadian feed wasn't too different for large parts, really. When the Blues were being physical and getting their cycle game going, DeBrusk and Cuthbert went on about how that was the game style that had lead to their championship, and how turning it up was going to be their key to success, and that they were starting to click with it. They kept on that right up until Stecher opened the floodgates for Vancouver.

I mean, they're not wrong. That is the style St. Louis needs to play to be successful (and they do a damn good job of it). But I think Hughes will be alright. He hasn't shied away from anyone or anything to this point.

Sounds like they were both reading game notes. You do have to expect broadcasters to play up the reigning champs and they'd be familiar with them with the extra air time they'd get to try and get ratings.

Reactions: Indiana

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
Jim Benning reportedly had a conversation with the officiating heads after Game 1 vs. the Wild about the rough ride Pettersson was getting. IMO, he should do the same thing here regarding Hughes. Puck battles are one thing, getting cross checked and punched in the face right in front of the ref is quote another.

The mugging of Pettersson and running Markstrom also went uncalled. These are clear infractions and I dont get it.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Hopefully the refs call the Blues on some of their antics and we capitalize on the PP. That's the only way we can deter them from those away from the play antics, but they'll probably just turn a blind eye to it again.

If the refs keep turning a blind eye, our guys need to retaliate with a nice whack to the shins.

Yes and no. It will mean they will also turn a blind eye to our retaliation. The league also has an interest in protecting stars like they did with the Canucks after the first game against the Wild.

I expect they will continue to call the penalties but it will continue to be marbles in their pockets. That clearly favors the Canucks with the top PP going 1.5 minutes on it.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

Canada is taking notice, just remember before this season, most pundits were calling us a rebuilding team.

this feels kinda nuts to me tbh.

our elite players are our elite players. but that hawks team beat detroit and won that cup on depth. that's why they had to reload after 2010 to get back to the top 2013-2015.

where are bolland, ladd, versteeg, hjalmarsson, buff, brouwer, and brian campbell? gaudette can't be all of those guys.

Reactions: Indiana

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
this feels kinda nuts to me tbh.

our elite players are our elite players. but that hawks team beat detroit and won that cup on depth. that's why they had to reload after 2010 to get back to the top 2013-2015.

where are bolland, ladd, versteeg, hjalmarsson, buff, brouwer, and brian campbell? gaudette can't be all of those guys.
I think it's clear he's referring to a young talented core, not the entire team make-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad