GDT: WCQF: Game 1 Knights at Sharks (We're swimming with the Sharks until they drown edition) (7:30 PT)

Which Martin Jones will show up?

• Total voters

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
Done making GDTs, that's for sure. I think most of them have been losses this year.

Not surprised because the team lost way too many games this season. Played like shit in the first 20 games, played like shit in the weeks before the Stone trade and played like shit in the last month.

It’s not like we were hot the whole year and they were losing when you made the GDTs. That would be more surprising.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Good game guys, we lulled them into a false sense of security...

FakeInsignificantLangur-max-1mb.gif

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Miller and Pirri should both be in for G2.

And PSA: JONES IS TERRIBLE. Shoot from anywhere. Hell aim at his chest if you have to.

Angry post game thoughts:

Going into tonight's game I thought the game plan would be to just f***ing pepper Jones with shots and see if he can stop them all.

I seriously never saw so many brutal non calls against us all night in our entire existence as a franchise and yet the sharks fans kept crying that they got ripped off on calls against us. I hate bitching about refs, but this game was the worst one sided called game since the 2002 Kings vs Lakers western conference finals.

I still really believe that Gallant is highly overrated because he doesn't make needed adjustments (just look at Trotz' strategy adjustments from game 1 to game 2 and the rest of the finals games in the SCF that exposed every weakness we had and what he's done with the islanders this year and that's real coaching) and the PP has been awful all year long and was never fixed. All Gallant does is run his system and doesn't attack the other teams weak points or shore up our weak points that other teams will likely exploit. Is he a top 10 coach? Probably. But not top 5 for sure. All I see are guys trying to hit the opposition and not trying to steal the puck and creating turnovers any more like we did last year. I'm sure that he does try to make adjustments, I just don't see any of them showing up in big games. If frustrating the sharks by hitting them non stop was the game plan to wear them out and rattle them then it needs to be scrapped. The forecheck has been way down this year as teams know what we do and we haven't changed much other than to play more defensive as in defending our zone but not effectively stealing pucks like bandits like last season. Stone is really the only reliable thief we got. Gallant also using the Wild Bill unit on the PP first makes no sense at all since he's weak at faceoffs. Stastny's unit should be the first PP unit as there is a better chance that we win the faceoff and can create something and maybe wear the PK unit on the opposing team down then bring in Karlsson's line.

Fleury needs to play better even though most of the goals look like it shouldn't be put on him to someone who just watched the highlights. 1 out of the 4 goals I think he should have had and while the hockey gods gave the sharts every break in fluky goals, he really seemed less confident and wasn't seeing the game unfolding in front of him. He just didn't look like himself. Or maybe it's just one of those games you gotta tip your cap to the other team for playing outstanding. I should really put Kane's goal on Stastny. He should have made a stronger attempt to block the shot, poke check, or gone harder at Kane to disrupt the shot attempt. I don't know if he was tired, but Stazz looked like he was making a half ass effort at attacking Kane. And the puck off the face of Pavelski earlier in the game was really a fluky goal. Maybe he's still rusty from the long layoff that he had. Normally, Fleury looks like he's having fun and even when being outshot, he has a swagger about him where you know no matter how bad we play, he's going to win this game on his back. Tonight he didn't have that look at all. I thought he was beat quite a bit and his glove hand seemed slow. The posts saved him from a few goals that could've really ended the game earlier. Even with 2018 playoff Flower, 3 of those goals were impossible to stop. We really need to help him the next game with the first goal and control the puck and take it to them. And not with just hits. With shot after shot after shot at Jones and hope a few more get past him to break his confidence and take the crowd out of the game.

The "top line" is just too weak physically against other teams lines that are bigger than them. One of the wingers needs to be swapped out for one of our bigger forwards. It was ok last year when they were a forechecking machine getting turnover after turnover that turned into odd man rushes and the puck in the back of the net. If the so-called top line wants to stay together, they need to do some damage.

I really believe that if Glass can play center next year, that Karlsson (if he's still here) should be moved to winger. He just flat out sucks at face offs and might do better as winger.

On paper the sharks are the better team and they showed it. Their stars came through. Stone showed up, but one man can't win the game.

Lots of those in the media and throughout the community I heard about how the last few weeks the games didn't matter and now they will turn the switch on. It still looks like they are the same team from the last 2 weeks. I can live with a game where we lose while giving the other team everything we got even if it's a blowout. What I can't stand is these low effort games all season long and that continued tonight. I also thought that the effort would be better than the last few weeks of the season, but it was just as bad. The sharks stunk in the last 2 weeks, but they certainly played hard. Was it because of home ice? VGK could have had home ice if they just didn't stink it up in the last few weeks of the season and in other parts of the season against teams teams that we should have not lost to.

I hope this is the last frustrating game of the playoffs. I can deal with losses if the effort and compete level is there. I can't stand these lazy games. Sure the refs were bad, but it's still on the team to overcome that and play well.

I really hope that GMGM trades Holden in the off season. Even if that means retaining half of his salary. Do not let this guy play for us next year. He still watches the puck while not moving his feet. His contract is worse than Reaves and that's a hard feat to over come.

Let's win game 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ....or at least come out playing angry and taking control of the game early setting the tone of a complete reversal of game 1's pathetic showing and play VGK hockey as we know that they can do.

Last edited:

GKG18

Expansion Fan
Jun 25, 2016
Hendertucky
Boy, if this were a best of 1 series, I'd be really alarmed. San Jose looked far superior last night and nothing the guys did could tilt the ice in their favor. As for game 2, we should know pretty early on whether the season is coming to an unexpectedly quick conclusion.

Nevada Jones

I like hockey.
Jun 28, 2017
Somewhere in Oregon.
What does alarm me are some recent comments made. Last night postgame, Turk called out the team for lack of effort. A few games ago, Walnuts alluded to the same thing when he said maybe some of the boys are not on the same page as far as effort. And I'll go out on the proverbial limb and guess they have a better read on what's wrong with the team than any of us.

We've made every excuse for the recent funk, from blaming Malcolm, to having nothing to play for, to playing teams that were more desperate, blah, blah, blah. But if the real problem is lack of effort, I am alarmed. How can you not give your best effort in the first game of the playoffs?

Whatever made this team so special last season has largely been missing this season. Seems like there's often been no desire or fight in this team. :(

So how do you fix that?

The only "pop" this team seemed to get was when Schmidly came back, and then the first couple weeks of The Stone Age. Maybe if this Gusev speculation comes to fruition that might help. Although that is just speculation right now, and how quickly would he fit in and be able to make a significant difference? Too little, too late?

So I think the game tomorrow is really key. Poor effort, and it's a short series and a long summer. :( Simply coming back to the Fortress ain't gonna help, as it hasn't been quite the home ice advantage this season as last.

And before anyone accuses me of being too negative or "throwing in the towel, " ;) I am just calling it likes I sees it. Hey, I am just trying to keep it real, baby! :biglaugh:

Seeing things as you wish they were rather than as they actually are is the biggest problem facing this country right now. But that's a discussion for another time and place. :laugh:

But as always...Go! :vegas Go!

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
I think we need @Nevada Jones to have words with his son and say

“Hey Martin you little shit, daddy supports Vegas and daddy was not happy you stopped too many of Vegas’s small amount of shots. Don’t make daddy mad again.”

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Reactions: Nevada Jones

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
This team has been constantly giving up 3+ goals a game for the past couple of weeks.

one to 2 games is really nothing to worry about, but this many games is a pattern. Now that the Knights are in the playoffs, they need to fix this bullshit or else they won't last long.

Our defense needs to be better and our goaltending needs to be better. Our offense needs to get better as well.

If they don't, well all i will say is that i won't be watching hockey anymore until next season.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
Lots of those in the media and throughout the community I heard about how the last few weeks the games didn't matter and now they will turn the switch on. It still looks like they are the same team from the last 2 weeks. I can live with a game where we lose while giving the other team everything we got even if it's a blowout. What I can't stand is these low effort games all season long and that continued tonight. I also thought that the effort would be better than the last few weeks of the season, but it was just as bad. The sharks stunk in the last 2 weeks, but they certainly played hard. Was it because of home ice? VGK could have had home ice if they just didn't stink it up in the last few weeks of the season and in other parts of the season against teams teams that we should have not lost to.

The Sharks lost 7 in a row and 9 out of 10 really late in the season, including a 7-3 loss to us (and their only win in those 10 games was against us).

So there was one team that flipped on a switch last night. We did have our toughest game last night in a long time, so that played a role but it was still a pathetic effort overall.

Teams that can’t win road playoff games tend to not go far in the playoffs. We played hard in our playoff road games last year so being on the road is no excuse. We didn’t have home ice advantage against Winnipeg last year and won that series. We had home ice against Washington and still lost to them.

I’m really questioning the heart of this team now. San Jose did coast too at the end of the season, but they also seemed to play consistently harder during the rest of the season and that’s one reason they finished with the 2nd best record in the West and we finished tied for 6th best.

Last edited:

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
This is all premature.

Teams have sucked late season and laid an egg in the first game of a series plenty of times. Hell, we did the late season thing last year and lost to the Jets in the first game of that series and it turned out fine.

The sky is not falling until it's falling, and we'll regret that we got a jump on thinking it was falling once it's actually over. There's no joy in being right when being right means you have to watch San Jose games in the second round because the Knights are out. The team will do fine. This is the same team as last season plus a lot and minus a few, and I refuse to believe concussed David Perron, Erik Haula, and James f***ing Neal are the difference when they were replaced with Paul Stastny, Mark Stone, and Max Pacioretty.

There's a switch, and they'll find it. I personally think the switch is not playing like a group of assholes and getting desperate early, but perhaps that plays into the "effort" thing. Getting your ass kicked is usually a good way to look inside and find it.

Cup or bust. If you disagree, you're not doing the playoffs right.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
We didn’t just suck late in the season. The entire season overall was very mediocre. We finished tied for 15th overall in points and barely won more than half our games.

Last year the team was great during the season, not mediocre, even if you factor in the late slide.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
We didn’t just suck late in the season. The entire season overall was very mediocre. We finished tied for 15th overall in points and barely won more than half our games.

Last year the team was great during the season, not mediocre, even if you factor in the late slide.

I mean the 2nd half of the season was a bit better than the 1st half. But yeah, i would also call it a mediocre season.

If the west played like the east this year, the Knights could have hypothetically missed the playoffs. Due to a weak west though, they were able to pretty much stay locked into the 3rd spot all season long.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
On the bright side it could be worse. We didn’t lose at home. And we should see a much better effort in game 2. Our backs are up against the wall now.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
You're never out of a series until you lose one at home. Win tomorrow and we're back to even, potentially with the upper hand.

This fanbase needs prozac.

Reactions: Northern Knights

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
I’d rather split games 1 and 2 at home with the home ice advantage than lose games 1 and 2 on the road and fall behind 2-0, needing to win 4 out of the next 5.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad