Game 3 - Oilers 2 Kings 3 OT Highlights
Game 4 - Oilers 5 Kings 4 OT Highlights
Game 5 - Tuesday April 25th @ 7:30 PM MT
Game 6 - Saturday April 29th @ TBD
Game 7 - Monday May 1st @ TBD

LFG:
giphy.gif

Hey, HFkings Fans:
If you insist on linking our GDT in yours, here's a link to make it easier for you!

Line ups:

From Game 4

Oilers:

Evander Kane - Connor McDavid - Zach Hyman
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins - Leon Draisaitl - Kailer Yamamoto
Warren Foegele - Ryan McLeod - Nick Bjugstad
Klim Kostin - Derek Ryan - ?

Mattias Ekholm - Evan Bouchard
Darnell Nurse - Cody Ceci
Brett Kulak - Vinny Desharnais?
Philip Broberg?

Stuart Skinner

Kings:

Quinton Byfield - Anze Kopitar - Adrian Kempe
Trevor Moore - Philip Danault - Viktor Arvidsson
Kevin Fiala - Gabe Vilardi - Alex Iafallo
Carl Grundstrom - Rasmus Kupari - Zack MacEwen

Mikey Anderson - Drew Doughty
Vladislav Gavrikov - Matt Roy
Alex Edler - Sean Durzi

Joonas Korpisalo
Preview:
(Via Oilers.com

OILERS vs. KINGS (Game 5)
WATCH:
7:30 p.m. MT; televised on Sportsnet & CBC
Oilers Team Scope
Down 3-0 to the Kings after 20 minutes, the Oilers looked to the crease to help swing momentum in their favour and spark a spirited comeback in Game 4 at Crypto.com Arena.
"I felt that our team needed a little bit of a change in momentum. [It gave] us a different kind of look," Head Coach Jay Woodcroft said.
Woodcroft and his coaching staff decided to wait until the first intermission to hand the reins in goal over to Jack Campbell, and from there, everyone in the locker room was able to reset and work towards orchestrating a comeback from three goals down in a tough building.
"We decided to wait until we could get into the room," he added. "Once we did that, we kind of took off from there."
Campbell made 27 saves in relief, and Zach Hyman scored the overtime winner for Edmonton in Sunday's 5-4 comeback victory over Los Angeles that evens the series at 2-2 heading into Game 5 at Rogers Place on Tuesday.
Evan Bouchard scored on the power play before Leon Draisaitl added a pair before the second period was over to even things up at three apiece heading into the third period, where Matt Roy scored five minutes into the frame to lift Los Angeles back into a one-goal lead.
Campbell made his largest contribution with 5:48 remaining, robbing Viktor Arvidsson on a breakaway to allow the Oilers the chance to equalize on Evander Kane's wrist shot with 3:02 left in regulation. In overtime, Bouchard connected with Zach Hyman on a full-ice feed with the Kings on a line change before Hyman buried his first of the 2023 playoffs under the right arm of Joonas Korpisalo.
"I think we've shown that all year that we love playing for each other and we're a very resilient group and we're not going to quit ever, no matter what," Draisaitl said. "So I'm really proud of the guys. But that's only two. It's first to four, so we move on."

Kings Team Scope
The Kings finally got the start they'd been looking for all series when they jumped out to a three-goal lead through 20 minutes in Game 4 behind goals from Gabriel Vilardi, Viktor Arvidsson and Adrian Kempe.
Vilardi had the Kings ahead 1-0 before Arvidsson made it a two-goal lead at 16:48 of the first period after spinning past Vincent Desharnais and beating Skinner five-hole from the left circle. Kopitar pushed it to 3-0 on the power-play goal inside the frame's final two minutes to establish the first three-goal lead for any team this series heading into the first intermission.
But when the edge shifted over to Edmonton's side in the second period, that's when everything unravelled.
The Oilers responded in the middle frame to take momentum back from the Kings and the earlier-established energy at Crypto.com Arena out of the building. The Kings collected themselves in the final frame and carried the lead as late as the three-minute mark, but their three-goal collapse a period prior caught up to them when Kane tied the game on a wrist shot from the left circle.
Hyman's overtime winner came off a full-ice feed from Bouchard, who caught the Kings in a change to set-up the forward's first goal of the playoffs.
"We can be frustrated tonight, but tomorrow's a new day and we've got to get ready for Game 5," captain Anze Kopitar said. "The first period was obviously really good and the second period was not good, so there's no secret to that. We'll have to correct that going forward."
Kevin Fiala returned to the LA lineup in Game 4 after missing the final six games of the regular season and the first three of the series after taking a knee-on-knee hit from Colorado Avalanche forward Andrew Cogliano on March 9.
"You can always improve," Fiala said. "I felt okay. Like you said before, I hadn't played in three weeks, so it's not going to be the best, but it was OK."
Drew Doughty leads the team with 85:19 minutes played at 5-on-5 in the series.

By The Numbers
The Oilers improved to 13-12 all-time in playoff OT games played on the road... The Oilers became the third team in the last two postseasons to overcome a three-goal deficit to win... The Oilers & Kings have each scored seven goals at 5v5 in the series, but the Oilers 5v5 expected goals for (xGF) is 12.26 compared to 9.93 for the Kings...
The Oilers have not lost a Game 5 in regulation since April 17, 2003 in the Conference Quarterfinals vs. Dallas... Both the Oilers (21-15) and Kings (18-16) have winning records in Game 5's of a best-of-seven series... Three-of-four games this series have been decided in overtime... The only game decided in OT in last year's First Round series between LA/EDM was Game 5 (Kings 5-4 win)... The Oilers and Kings have combined to score 11 power-play goals in the series...
Zach Hyman joined Connor McDavid as the only Oilers players in the last 16 years to score a playoff OT goal on the road... Evan Bouchard became the first Oilers defenceman to record a point in each of his first four games to begin a postseason since Charlie Huddy in 1988... Leon Draisaitl tied Mario Lemieux for the third-fewest playoff games in NHL history to reach 20 career multi-point games... Leon Draisaitl has been on the ice for each of the Oilers 14 goals in the series... He has been on the ice for more goals to start a postseason than any player since players on ice began being tracked in 1959-60...Connor McDavid became the sixth player in NHL history to reach 60 career playoff points in 41 or fewer games...

Injurt Report
OILERS - Mattias Janmark (foot) is day-to-day.
KINGS - Blake Lizotte (lower body) is day-to-day.
-- Jamie Umbach, EdmontonOilers.com

Last edited:

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
If there was ever a game to seize the moment...

In some ways I don't care who is in net, just keep it to 2 or less. Offense just get your goals and move the feet.

This game is the game to stay out of the extracurriculars and be disciplined.

Also, Hockey Gods, please let Darnell Nurse look like a regular dependable defenseman for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
Game 5 is usually the do or die game in most series. Connor mentioned that they failed to capitalize last year, so hopefully that means they understand how important this one is.

They can run McDavid and Draisaitl more this game with the big gap to the next game as well.

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
Let's embarrass the embellishers! After losing the last game I wonder if we don't see the kings revert back to acting like they have been shot everytime an Oiler skates past them.
I hoping that the refs turn a corner here, I feel like there is a lot of pressure on them to not screw up league wide now. That might mean less penalties or more 4 on 4, but I have a feeling that they might be looking for embellishment at this point. Hopefully they just watch them flop on the ice as we chances.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
I hoping that the refs turn a corner here, I feel like there is a lot of pressure on them to not screw up league wide now. That might mean less penalties or more 4 on 4, but I have a feeling that they might be looking for embellishment at this point. Hopefully they just watch them flop on the ice as we chances.
One thing I hope they really keep an eye on is the Kings tendancy to grab sticks while they are trying to draw a penalty. They bit a few times on those but it seems to be a staple of the LA playbook.

Reactions: Biltmore

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Nurse needs to settle his game down and Skinner needs to dial his up, assuming he’s starting. Refs need to bring their glasses, Oilers can’t take stupid stick penalties and Woody can’t get caught trying to outsmart himself.

Those things happen we win hands down.

Rogers Place is gonna be rockin tonight!

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
The gap from tonight's game to Saturday is what bugs me. We win tonight, I bet we seize the momentum with the follow up game. The rest is beneficial to LA.

If you can't schedule your games with all the teams in the same arena properly, you should lose the right to have home ice.

Reactions: Arty Spooners Bsmnt

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
I’ve been overly positive in every thread prior to game start so far, and overly negative throughout the games when they refuse to show up to start the game.

Gonna change it up and be super negative now, in hopes that they come out strong to start the game at which point I’ll have to be positive.

20 bucks says that despite his play carrying us this series, Drai probably doesn’t even smell as good as I imagine when I dream about his playoff performances every night.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The gap from tonight's game to Saturday is what bugs me. We win tonight, I bet we seize the momentum with the follow up game. The rest is beneficial to LA.

If you can't schedule your games with all the teams in the same arena properly, you should lose the right to have home ice.
Careful what you wish for. We have Shania Twain taking up two dates next weekend.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
This one all depends on who starts in my opinion. If Skinner starts we will be facing elimination for game 6 in LA. If Campbell starts he gives us the best chance to win at this point in time.

I can’t see in any way shape or form they start Skinner. Skinner has lost the net. It would be a 3-1 series lead and we would be facing elimination right now if it wasn’t for Campbell.

Campbell’s ball to drop at this point. If he shits bed you go back to Skinner.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
This one all depends on who starts in my opinion. If Skinner starts we will be facing elimination for game 6 in LA. If Campbell starts he gives us the best chance to win at this point in time.

I can’t see in any way shape or form they start Skinner. Skinner has lost the net. It would be a 3-1 series lead and we would be facing elimination right now if it wasn’t for Campbell.

Campbell’s ball to drop at this point. If he shits bed you go back to Skinner.
I can see both sides honestly.

I see your side (and I also said start Campbell), but I also see Edmonton thinking..

"Ok, we set it the last 2 months that Skinenr is our go to and Campbell knows what he is right now, our backup".

If they go with Skinner and he lets in a weak goal or two, Woody better make quick decisions.

I am stumped personally.

Reactions: Ginger Papa and dsi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad