GDT: WCQF | G3 | “Welcome to Holloway” | Oilers @ Kings | 4.26.24 | 8:30PM | Staples Center | SN/CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
3 nothing. Means don’t make dumb mistakes. Don’t take unneeded risks. Goal now should be S-word. We need a confident Stu moving forward and that’s one way to get it kick started.
They should watch Vegas tape. All 5 players in the middle in the d-zone. Let the opposition skate around the outside. They did it to us last year too.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Yeah I wanted Ullmark year before and I would of preferred Husso or Kuemper to Campbell but I don’t think either was a realistic option without it costing more AAV then Campbell. Which is why I would of rathered a couple cheap gambles + Skinner in the mix. Buck shot approach which isn’t ideal in the situation they were in but in that case my opinion is if you don’t have a sure fire option then increase your shots. Vegas made that strategy work by team D’ing up and making it easier for average guys to flourish, Boston same thing.
I'd be surprised if Husso was a consideration. Too much uncertainty. Kuemper was likely best option warts and all but he seemed locked into Washington. Frankly I wasn't sure how good Skinner would be as a rookie back-up. Boston and Vegas very different teams and styles of play. Bruins deeply embedded as a winning culture with strong two-way play can carry goaltending. Vegas too with their elite, big deep blue line and structured play enabled them to weather zero games from #1 goalie last year while also shaving 19 goals against playing like 4 or 5 goaltenders.

Oil defense is not elite and team play has significant elevator rides down and up which cost two coaches jobs over the last two seasons. Overheated market to finally take a Cup run. No way they were gambling on goaltending (like Koskinen was). They locked into Campbell and completely misread the many red flags.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think the Oilers already made him shit his pants in that 1st period.
Talbot should be pulled. 2 fo the goals are direct result of him not being able to be strong in crease. Rittich is physically stronger at least in those situations. Hiller ain't much of a coach. Kings made no adjustments, really aren't changing up anything.

Moore has also been spectacularly bad. Probably worried he's gonna get maimed any time for his submarine play.

Oh, Nice that Kane resurrected the back pass to Drai on the goal. The ol Anderson to Mess shortside goal. Connor Brown told them to do that...;)

Reactions: McOilers97

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
You can tell the boys looked at a bunch of tape. Instead of skating the puck through the neutral zone against that dreaded 1-3-1 the dmen are skating it to center and dumping it in while the forwards skate the zone with speed. At the very least it wears down LA’s defense and prevents the chance of a turnover in the neutral zone
Would a woody coach led team make those adjustments that fast and execute them that well?

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Those 2 greasy goals just chipping away in front of the net are not the usual type of Oilers goals... but they should be because counting just on pretty goals in the NHL aren't enough to win many games... mix it up with grease and the fancy stuff and you have a definite recipe for success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad