GDT: WCQF | G3 | “Welcome to Holloway” | Oilers @ Kings | 4.26.24 | 8:30PM | Staples Center | SN/CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
its a conspiracy!

jebus christ. Talbot is the one having to stone DRai, Mcd, Hyman, Booch, you know, some of the best producers/scorers on earth at their respective positions.

Who do you think is facing more dangerous shots more often. I'll wait for the answer.
What’s your argument here, that Talbot is an average goalie too?

Talbot had an .871 last game, got owned by prolific goal scorer Dylan Holloway, who’s known for his absolute lethal shot, probably a better shooter then Kempe that’s for sure.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Skinner has stunk in 9/14 career playoff games. That isn't even good odds.
Too lazy to check- how many games has he been pulled in?

Yeah they had a nice tandem but Roli had a lot more to give. Hoping Rodrigue can get some games up here in the next 2 years, very intrigued by him.
I’m hoping his dad gets promoted to our coaching staff. He has worked miracles with Skinner (saved him from the ECHL), Campbell, and his son.

Reactions: elmeroil

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Darcy Kuemper’s .902 playoff SV% is the lowest of any cup-winning goalie since Grant Fuhr’s .883 in 1988

There's a reason cups aren't won with sub 900 sv% because they are actually there to stop pucks.
The Avalanche as a team learned to play and commit to a strong two-way game as the final piece to winning their Cup. Improved their defense to get bigger, more physical. Their playoff championship was as much built on winning low scoring games like the final three to beat Tampa. They protected their goaltender with the consistent team defending support required for Cup runs.

Last year Vegas elite defense, EV scoring, coaching, fewer mistakes and goaltending were all contributing factors to the razor fine difference in the Vegas Oilers series. Pointing to goaltending without looking at EV scoring differential, Eichel line complete domination. Hill behind that elite defense and strong two way playing team in front of him went on to out duel excellent tenders in Winnipeg, Dallas and Florida.

No team wins the Cup without a strong team focus, commitment and execution of team defending. The Oilers showed great improvement during Knoblauch's tenure and goaltending results followed that team play. But they are still a team prone to big mistakes. Skinner absolutely needs to step up to have a team run. But so does the consistency of team goal suppression structure, discipline and work rate in front of him. Just like Colorado was able to do in their breakthrough season. Game 1 was a firedrill of Oiler own goals and sloppy decision making in what was thankfully a blowout game. Skinner wasn't good in game 2. But something's wrong if Doughty is on a clear breakaway. Lots to clean up in defending along with better goaltending.

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
Why can't the oilers ever have good goaltending? It's going to be same script. It's going to take 5-6 goals to win this one.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
What’s your argument here, that Talbot is an average goalie too?

Talbot had an .871 last game, got owned by prolific goal scorer Dylan Holloway, who’s known for his absolute lethal shot, probably a better shooter then Kempe that’s for sure.
Talbot stoned Bouchard, Drai, McD, Hyman just last game. Try watchign the games. Or discussing the actual performances.

2 of the HDSC were Kempe. Scored on both. Fiala goal wasn't even from a scoring chance area.

36yr old Talbot isn't good, and Skinner in prime is managing to be worse.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
The Avalanche as a team learned to play and commit to a strong two-way game as the final piece to winning their Cup. Improved their defense to get bigger, more physical. Their playoff championship was as much built on winning low scoring games like the final three to beat Tampa. They protected their goaltender with the consistent team defending support required for Cup runs.

Last year Vegas elite defense, EV scoring, coaching, fewer mistakes and goaltending were all contributing factors to the razor fine difference in the Vegas Oilers series. Pointing to goaltending without looking at EV scoring differential, Eichel line complete domination. Hill behind that elite defense and strong two way playing team in front of him went on to out duel excellent tenders in Winnipeg, Dallas and Florida.

No team wins the Cup without a strong team focus, commitment and execution of team defending. The Oilers showed great improvement during Knoblauch's tenure and goaltending results followed that team play. But they are still a team prone to big mistakes. Skinner absolutely needs to step up to have a team run. But so does the consistency of team goal suppression structure, discipline and work rate in front of him. Just like Colorado was able to do in their breakthrough season. Game 1 was a firedrill of Oiler own goals and sloppy decision making in what was thankfully a blowout game. Skinner wasn't good in game 2. But something's wrong if Doughty is on a clear breakaway. Lots to clean up in defending along with better goaltending.
I’m clapping for this.

“Something is wrong if Doughty is on a clear breakaway” lol.

I’m admittedly very nervous at times when Skinner is in net because you can definitely tell when he’s off. But it would be the same with most goalies in net when the oilers are make those types of doughty breakaway/Kempe wide open look games.

There have honestly been times and last game was one of them when you can see that Skinner is looking uncomfortable or off and I wonder if it would be smart to toss Pickard in after 2/3 goals. But on the flip side we’ve seen plenty of examples of Skinner giving up a couple on the first 5-6 shots and then stone walling the rest of the way. But there are some nights I’m watching and I feel like he’s looking off and they should consider swapping him for Picksrd for the rest of the game.

Reactions: RegDunlop

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
@Lacaar

You raised some good questions in other thread that I couldn't respond to as thread is closed.

Regarding your concerns about McDrai EV play in the series it should be noted that both are reasonably good 200ft players and make good efforts across ice. Sometimes you're going to get outscored.

Thing is, I don't fault them as much for any imperfection in their games. They were raised here on a team that most of the time was paper thin support. For years if they weren't scoring most of the goals nobody was. This probably developed certain habits. They also never had a Kopitar type center or ROR or whoever to teach them the right way to play. Add some questionable and inconsistent and ever changing coaching to the mix and there hasn't been ideal modeling. Even getting Danault here as I wanted years ago could have helped transfer some knowledge and he's a rare individual that would be a voice in the room even among greats like McDrai.

As far Drai specifically theres been a gradual drop off in his EV game since he was MVP. Probably explained by age, mileage, and the amount of physical abuse he takes in seasons. We saw this with Mess here too. By 90, 91 Mess had become a player that due to pain and aging and just having played so much hockey he became a picking his spots player. Mess made passes that would have current fans concerned and they often enough ended up in goals the other way. Mess would also cheat shifts. If there were no openings or against a strong line his offensive jump would be limited to only certain shifts and opportunities. I'm afraid we're seeing that in this series. But frankly if his linemates or D on the great passes he makes were cashing at all there would be less concern.
So many great points made here. McDavid is an underrated defensive player. I can’t remember who it was, but they did an analytical breakdown of time in defensive and goals against due to induvidual errors- McDavid ranked extremely high. They reasoned that if the puck is spending less time in the defensive zone and you are giving up far less chances than you allow- you, by definition, are also good defensively. If you are good in the defensive zone with stick checks and covering your man- but the puck doesn’t leave your own zone- why does that make you better defensively.

The most complete Drai has been in his career was under Hitchcock. I remember thinking I hope he doesn’t lose that under a different coach.

You are bang on about Dmen and their inability to exit the zone successfully. Outside of Bouchard and Ekholm- not one Dman can hit forwards going up the ice. Draisaitl gets saddled with the two worst- Ceci and Nurse.

I was also hoping the Oilers signed Danault and let Hopkins walk that year…

Reactions: Drivesaitl
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad