GDT: WCQF | G3 | “Welcome to Holloway” | Oilers @ Kings | 4.26.24 | 8:30PM | Staples Center | SN/CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
It’s a flawed stat.

A HDCA is graded the same whether it’s Kempe shooting or Trevor Lewis but obviously there’s a vast difference in the quality of the chance based on who’s shooting it which the stat can’t account for. Same as it can’t account for the situation, a cross crease tap in isn’t the same as a player driving to the net and chipping one into the goalies breadbasket but in the eyes of HDCA if it happened from roughly the same place on the ice then it’s equal even though we know one has a far greater chance of finding the back of the net then the other.
Correct. But expected goals do try to capture some of those variables.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
At the same time there's certain posters who are shitting on our best players every game, have unrealistic expectations of what actually happens at the NHL level, and seemingly have no idea what they're talking about but yet are somehow the loudest on the board many nights.

I swear half the time I read posts that legitimately think the best players in the world don't make mistakes ever, no team makes defensive mistakes except the Oilers, no goalie faces high danger chances on blown defensive plays, and the other team is basically a bunch of robots who couldn't possibly put up a fight or ever do anything well. In fact anytime the other team does something well its a mistake of someone on the Oilers.

Its pretty obvious many posters don't watch any games outside of the Oilers or are so emotionally invested that they can't even understand what they're actually seeing and can't actually look at something objectively outside of their emotional response.

I'm not sure what extreme is worse tbh.

I think we’re hoping for somewhere in between the 2 extremes but that seems hard to come by around here :laugh:

Reactions: brentashton

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Talbots glove save on Bouchard, Drai sprawling save and a Mcleod breakaway was 3 chances that were as great as the Oilers gave up all night, and he saved every single one of them.

Meanwhile not my fault skinner they are automatic goals. Its just a fact at this point, we are going to have to outscore Skinners shitty play, defense cant change that, mcdavid or drai cant change it, when a team shots from the boards a muffin and it goes in, its not anything the team could do. Teams are going to get shots, doesnt matter how good your team or defense is.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Talbots glove save on Bouchard, Drai sprawling save and a Mcleod breakaway was 3 chances that were as great as the Oilers gave up all night, and he saved every single one of them.

Meanwhile not my fault skinner they are automatic goals. Its just a fact at this point, we are going to have to outscore Skinners shitty play, defense cant change that, mcdavid or drai cant change it, when a team shots from the boards a muffin and it goes in, its not anything the team could do. Teams are going to get shots, doesnt matter how good your team or defense is.
Look I've probably been as hard on Skinner at times as many around here, but can we at least see what happens before we just keep going off on him. He was a rookie last year. He played fine in game 1 despite the sv% being weighed down by a bonehead Nurse self goal, an unlucky stick break and Ceci panic play, and another unlucky Bouchard skate. He was terrible on Wednesday, but again its 2 game sample on his Sophomore playoff sample. He should be on a very short leash and should be criticized if he shits the bed tonight, but you're almost coming off like you want him and the Oilers to fail just so you can say "I told you so".

Settle down and save the pitchforks for after the game if he lays another egg. If thats the case Pickard should start game 4.

Reactions: Oilhawks and lopper

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
At the same time there's certain posters who are shitting on our best players every game, have unrealistic expectations of what actually happens at the NHL level, and seemingly have no idea what they're talking about but yet are somehow the loudest on the board many nights.

I swear half the time I read posts that legitimately think the best players in the world don't make mistakes ever, no team makes defensive mistakes except the Oilers, no goalie faces high danger chances on blown defensive plays, and the other team is basically a bunch of robots who couldn't possibly put up a fight or ever do anything well. In fact anytime the other team does something well its a mistake of someone on the Oilers.

Its pretty obvious many posters don't watch any games outside of the Oilers or are so emotionally invested that they can't even understand what they're actually seeing and can't actually look at something objectively outside of their emotional response.

I’ll speak for myself. My frustrations with the oilers and their best players is that I really do think they are the best team in the league. So it frustrates me to see them so wildly inconsistent game after game. This is a team that hasn’t put it together mentally. If they run up against a team that dominates them like Colorado a couple of years ago then I’ll say good effort boys. You really left it all on the table.

But I don’t think that’s the case with this team and a lot of pundits agree. The oilers are their own worst enemy. They fail to grasp and understand that you need to be dialed in every play. This team takes mental breaks. And it starts in net. They may have the heart of a champion. But they come prepared with maturity of a loser. They need their hand slapped to focus and wilt in high pressure situations.

They won the first game for once so that’s a good sign. Then they immediately came back with a poor mental game. This team is awesome when the foots oh the pedal. They have consistently shown they can’t bring a consistent game in the playoffs. That was a C game two f***ing games into the playoffs rested. Second game of the playoffs and they pitched a f***ing C game… I’m baffled.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Look I've probably been as hard on Skinner at times as many around here, but can we at least see what happens before we just keep going off on him. He was a rookie last year. He played fine in game 1 despite the sv% being weighed down by a bonehead Nurse self goal, an unlucky stick break and Ceci panic play, and another unlucky Bouchard skate. He was terrible on Wednesday, but again its 2 game sample on his Sophomore playoff sample. He should be on a very short leash and should be criticized if he shits the bed tonight, but you're almost coming off like you want him and the Oilers to fail just so you can say "I told you so".

Settle down and save the pitchforks for after the game if he lays another egg. If thats the case Pickard should start game 4.

Im so past making my point that he sucks, everyone should know it by now.

Im still replying to a post that blamed Drai with 2 mistakes on a goal against for a reason this team will never win. Oh and added in Mcdavid being a cause they wont ever win also. The most ridiculous thing I have ever read to be honest. How can I not reply?

I said stop the god dam puck and we win.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Im so past making my point that he sucks, everyone should know it by now.

Im still replying to a post that blamed Drai with 2 mistakes on a goal against for a reason this team will never win. The most ridiculous thing I have ever read to be honest. How can I not reply?

I said stop the god dam puck and we win.
Fair enough. I haven't read half the posts in this thread because 80% of the posts are just negativity on game 2 when this team is about to play a playoff game in just over an hour in a series they very much are still in the drivers seat in. This place is a cesspool lately.

No offence but what kind of fans sit here bickering about who sucks on the team an hour before the next game is about to start when the series is still very much undecided? If we were down 3-0 in the series then fine be toxic as f***, but this thread is pathetic. I think the mainboards might actually better than HFOil GDTs these days and thats pretty pathetic.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
ZfEs.gif
That’s honestly the best GIF reply I’ve seen in a long time. Well done sir.

Reactions: Mcnofool6110

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I’ll speak for myself. My frustrations with the oilers and their best players is that I really do think they are the best team in the league. So it frustrates me to see them so wildly inconsistent game after game. This is a team that hasn’t put it together mentally. If they run up against a team that dominates them like Colorado a couple of years ago then I’ll say good effort boys. You really left it all on the table.

But I don’t think that’s the case with this team and a lot of pundits agree. The oilers are their own worst enemy. They fail to grasp and understand that you need to be dialed in every play. This team takes mental breaks. And it starts in net. They may have the heart of a champion. But they come prepared with maturity of a loser. They need their hand slapped to focus and wilt in high pressure situations.

They won the first game for once so that’s a good sign. Then they immediately came back with a poor mental game. This team is awesome when the foots oh the pedal. They have consistently shown they can’t bring a consistent game in the playoffs. That was a C game two f***ing games into the playoffs rested. Second game of the playoffs and they pitched a f***ing C game… I’m baffled.
See this kind of frustration isn't what I'm referring to. I'm talking about people who have weird vendettas against certain players and who can't comprehend that every team in the playoffs is a good team and you aren't going to just go 16-0 and win because you're better. Hockey is a game of momentum, luck, and many other uncontrollable factors. I absolutely agree the Oilers beating themselves and not playing to their full potential at times is a valid point.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Fair enough. I haven't read half the posts in this thread because 80% of the posts are just negativity on game 2 when this team is about to play a playoff game in just over an hour in a series they very much are still in the drivers seat in. This place is a cesspool lately.

No offence but what kind of fans sit here bickering about who sucks on the team an hour before the next game is about to start when the series is still very much undecided? If we were down 3-0 in the series then fine be toxic as f***, but this thread is pathetic. I think the mainboards might actually better than HFOil GDTs these days and thats pretty pathetic.
We dont even need him to be great, just average, average is above 900 cause your not winning a cup without it. I posted that also, Keumper is the last goalie to a win a cup with a 902 behind a stacked avs team that could score with the best of them, had great defense and still only managed a 902 because he wasnt that good.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
In Skinner's defense, he's a backup goalie who's being asked to carry the load of a starter. He's already cleaning Campbell's shit.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
We dont even need him to be great, just average, average is above 900 cause your not winning a cup without it. I posted that also, Keumper is the last goalie to a win a cup with a 902 behind a stacked avs team that could score with the best of them, had great defense and still only managed a 902 because he wasnt that good.
I know I made a similar post previously about the lowest Sv% in the salary cap era that have won cups and said if Stu doesn't up his game they need to try Pickard.

But lets move on the boys play in an hour.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018

Right, you’re talking about a fringe , few posters, probably less than a dozen. Note even worth commenting on those. We all know who they are.

But the comments in here the last few days are suggesting anyone not on the Skinner, RNH, Kane, Perry, Foegkle, Holloway, McLeod, Bouchard, Nurse, Desharnais, Ceci, Kulak et al train are not to be welcome with their thoughts.

Kinda defeats the purpose of having a discussion forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad