GDT: WCQF | G3 | “Welcome to Holloway” | Oilers @ Kings | 4.26.24 | 8:30PM | Staples Center | SN/CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Pay attention to LA's top line (don't fly the zone like idiots when they are out there). Pray for some bounces to actually go our way this time. McDavid, please don't try to create highlights skating into 3-4 kings, you have 2 pretty useful wingers now.

We should have a pretty good chance to win every night, but still gotta perform out there. Hope Skinner is back on his game too.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
I expect McD to come out on a mission, shut that crowd up and bury one early.
Need our best road game of the year tonight
Let’s F***in Go!

Reactions: Oilslick941611

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
I'd sit Perry for Brown and have him take Foegele's spot next to Draisaitl. He's one of our best defensive forwards even though he was snake bitten for most of the year offensively.
Perry was just a tad over the line last game and took some bad penalties. Im not sure I want to sit him, but Brown should be in for tonight and I don't know else to take out of the line up for him.

I expect McD to come out on a mission, shut that crowd up and bury one early.
Need our best road game of the year tonight
Let’s F***in Go!
yup, an early goal against the Kings throws their whole game plan off kilter and they don't recover. The longer its 0-0 or 0-1 kings the more advantage they have to slow things down and line match us to hell. an early goal is critical to killing them.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Don't try to pass it into the net. Don't give up breakaways to old dudes all night. GEEEEEZ

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Interesting all the despair here. All I said to my son after Kopitar scored was "Well, no one expects to win 16 in a row. On to the next."

I would like to see Holloway get a bump. His speed and forecheck would help the top two lines.

Nuge McDavid Hyman
Holloway Draisaitl Fogele
McLeod Henrique Kane
Perry Carrick Janmark
it really doesn't take much for the doomers to take over here. A loss is the end of the world for some. Hell, some people lose their minds over a goal against. Its insane. Like you said no wins 16 in a row.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think the problem is not recognizing their contributions in the context of the game. For example:

Scenario 1 - they are hot and light it up, resulting in a win, a lot of top 6 scoring, and a bottom 6 that saws off or gives up a few. Reaction - "thank god we have McDavid and Leon because the bottom 6 sucks," even though the bottom 6 wasn't really a relevant part of the game because the other two put it away quickly.

Scenario 2 - Bottom 6 scores goals while McDavid and Drai are caught in a matchup battle with a good team. Reaction - "Bottom 6 showed up, but where the hell were those two?"

Almost always ends up being a chicken/egg dichotomy. If the bottom 6 scores goals to put us ahead we are happy, but confused why McDavid and Drai didn't contribute. If McDavid and Drai contribute, we lament the lack of scoring in the bottom 6. Truth is if one side of the lineup or not is scoring, there isn't as much of a need for the other half of the lineup to open up to score more.

This isn't necessarily applicable to Game 2 as being down should have forced everyone to step up, but just an observation I have about people's view of the team generally.
Not a bad dichotomy. Props too for knowing the word.

Its been scenario 1 quite a lot in the McDrai era. Fans tend to forget that it seems. I won't complain about them, because I know full well what a team looks like without them,.

Heres a thing too. Its possible for supporting cast to play as if their lives depend on it. This is what I was getting at earlier. On the whole team only Booch, Ekholm and Hyman have elevated significantly playing with greats or on the same team as greats. Maybe Holloway will too. The rest seem content to deliver what they would anyway. Its odd to me. On the 80's Oilers every player on the team would roll up sleeves consistently and just realize how great it is to play with superstars. Hyman gets it. I wish that could be cloned.

Time for a big bounce back by the boys tonight

And no one allows zero goals!
Time for this team not requiring huge bounce back games but thats another topic. Wish we had a team that could roll and with decent goaltending.

Reactions: K1984

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
These playoff runs are emotionally exhausting and it's only been 2 games !!! :laugh:
Not sure what it is, I think due to the combined energy of the first two Kings series coalescing with moments of this one but yeah, this sure feels pretty intense every game. We're just the couch sitters. Wonder what this series is like for the players. If this doesn't get juices flowing nothing will. Its interesting as well historically how often Oilers-Kings have met in playoffs. Its become quite a thing. It was from 82-92 and now it is again. Combine that with the Gretzky trade drama and this is some kind of for real rivalry. Even if Doughty doesn't think so! ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Mav3rick07

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Gotta love the NHL.com splash for this game, talking up the Kings

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Really? Besides the one poster who always takes Skinner criticism personally and calls everyone idiots I thought it was relatively decent for an OT playoff loss.
I didn't even see those posts. lol.

But yeah. I think for the most part the crew here have been pretty good about whatever is happening. Been a good vibe generally, imo. That said I ignore 90% of GDT live type posts and takes.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
I can't believe I'm saying this but I feel like Brown actually deserves to play. He was a part of the season and in the lineup for a lot of wins. Started putting points up, I'd like to see him get a shot.

Ok now that I've said that I'm going to the liquor store, I'm in a bit of shock that I'm saying this after wishing he'd get waived for a lot of the season.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Not sure what it is, I think due to the combined energy of the first two Kings series coalescing with motivations of this one but yeah, this sure feels pretty intense every game. We're just the couch sitters. Wonder what this series is like for the players. If this doesn't get juices flowing nothing will. Its interesting as well historically how often Oilers-Kings have met in playoffs. Its become quite a thing. It was from 82-92 and now it is again. Combine that with the Gretzky trade drama and this is some kind of for real rivalry. Even if Doughty doesn't think so! ;)
I didnt get to live through the gretzky era, but even with this McDrai era, every playoff game brings me so much anxiety.
Even when I was playing at fairly high levels of hockey in playoffs/tourneys, I never felt like that, maybe because I had more control of the game than a fan of the game.

I almost enjoy watching other series more because I dont care who wins and just enjoy the playoff hockey.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I can't believe I'm saying this but I feel like Brown actually deserves to play. He was a part of the season and in the lineup for a lot of wins. Started putting points up, I'd like to see him get a shot.

Ok now that I've said that I'm going to the liquor store, I'm in a bit of shock that I'm saying this after wishing he'd get waived for a lot of the season.
I'm with you on the laughing btw. Not sure I want him this game but maybe game 4. Maybe even Foegele needs a park. For sure I want Holloway to stay in.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I didnt get to live through the gretzky era, but even with this McDrai era, every playoff game brings me so much anxiety.
Even when I was playing at fairly high levels of hockey in playoffs/tourneys, I never felt like that, maybe because I had more control of the game than a fan of the game.

I almost enjoy watching other series more because I dont care who wins and just enjoy the playoff hockey.
No I get it. I'm lucky I get to do physical things and keep busy with stuff during the day and then relax and enjoy the game at night. I even get the occasional pregame nap in. But f*** even with that by third period last game my nerves were a bit rattled. By the OT I was in acceptance mode. Whatever happens happens.

Listen to some favorite music between periods or another game. Helps out a bit. Already got the Potatoes and Onions and red beets planted. That gardening stuff helps too.

enjoy the game.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
I'm with you on the laughing btw. Not sure I want him this game but maybe game 4. Maybe even Foegele needs a park. For sure I want Holloway to stay in.
Playoffs do funny things to our emotions, I see we've both not been able to stay away from the GDT like we were trying to as well 😂

It's a sickness and an addiction, maybe we should start a support group! Haha no one else understands when I cut myself why my blood is orange and blue...

I was thinking just that when I was watching the Jets and Avs beat the shit out of each other in game 1.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
No I get it. I'm lucky I get to do physical things and keep busy with stuff during the day and then relax and enjoy the game at night. I even get the occasional pregame nap in. But f*** even with that by third period last game my nerves were a bit rattled. By the OT I was in acceptance mode. Whatever happens happens.

Listen to some favorite music between periods or another game. Helps out a bit. Already got the Potatoes and Onions and red beets planted. That gardening stuff helps too.

enjoy the game.
Sometimes I forget that im watching this to be entertained.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Playoffs do funny things to our emotions, I see we've both not been able to stay away from the GDT like we were trying to as well 😂

It's a sickness and an addiction, maybe we should start a support group! Haha no one else understands when I cut myself why my blood is orange and blue...
This IS the Oilers support group. Due to call volumes you are #28 in line and that with marquee priority service. We thank you for your patronage and we will get to you ASAP. heha

jk aside theres some good souls here and we've been through more than just hockey together through decades really.

Sometimes I forget that im watching this to be entertained.
I forget that sometimes with good horror movies where the popcorn is hitting the ceiling...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad