GDT: WCQF | G2 | "Encore" | Oilers vs. Kings | 4.24.24 | Rogers Place | 8:00PM | CBC/SN

The Highlight of Game 1?

• The donair cannon

• Klim Kostin

• Hyman hatty

• Putting up a touchdown

• Finally winning a game 1 (at home)

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Will be interesting to see if any real coaching is going on with LA. The diamond scheme cannot work against our PP. That should have been obvious all along. With Drai on one side being a threat and Hyman typically being threat on the other how was a diamond going to work? Really, against the best passing players in the league that can also just move in and slot one home from all the room that a One D back diamond affords?

I can't understand the value of the diamond in 2024. Sure it takes a lot of slot stuff away and puts players into spots to block or to be adjusting but it works poorly against teams that are so effective down low. Add a goalie like Talbot that doesn't box out and the Kings are so susceptible.

Kings: "We feel so good about our pk this year, its going to make such a difference"

Oilers load in 3 goals in 4 attempts basically scoring and creating at will.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
After 2 years of Doughty and Kopi’s leadership, speeches in the room, etc etc. It probably falls on deaf ears at this point. Especially since Doughty can be a bit of a bitch to his teammates constantly calling them out. And neither player can back up their words with their play these days. Can’t imagine belief is high in that room. Kings have no chance. Sweep incoming I think.

Reactions: 2for1PizzaPastuh

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Singh: "Oh, I can see big Kostin in the stands, holding his strong stick."

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Will be interesting to see if any real coaching is going on with LA. The diamond scheme cannot work against our PP. That should have been obvious all along. With Drai on one side being a threat and Hyman typically being threat on the other how was a diamond going to work? Really, against the best passing players in the league that can also just move in and slot one home from all the room that a One D back diamond affords?

I can't understand the value of the diamond in 2024. Sure it takes a lot of slot stuff away and puts players into spots to block or to be adjusting but it works poorly against teams that are so effective down low. Add a goalie like Talbot that doesn't box out and the Kings are so susceptible.

Kings: "We feel so good about our pk this year, its going to make such a difference"

My fear is the oilers were too good on the powerplay so the refs will swallow their whistles

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

If reality matches appearances in Game 1, the tactic of redesigning the power play in the background, but not deploying it until Game 1 of the playoffs is a coaching master stroke.

If basically every player on the ice other than Bouchard continues to rotate like they did and move in and out of scoring areas like they did they will be impossible to stop. Our PP is still pretty good relative to everyone else when the play is stagnant and passes are telegraphed, this degree of unpredictability takes it to another stratosphere.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
After 2 years of Doughty and Kopi’s leadership, speeches in the room, etc etc. It probably falls on deaf ears at this point. Especially since Doughty can be a bit of a bitch to his teammates constantly calling them out. And neither player can back up their words with their play these days. Can’t imagine belief is high in that room. Kings have no chance. Sweep incoming I think.
Neither was very good in the game. In Doughty's case he gets too jacked at times and trying to do too much. When you see him chasing plays around the net you know he's off. I think Foegele nailing him with a hit early also contributed to get his juices running too much.

Doughty can still play a game when he contains himself better. But when he starts thinking he's still some D monster he attempts stuff beyond his current ability. Overplays. Kopitar has struggled this season to contain best top lines. Not sure what Kings are thinking throwing Laferriere up on top line. He's GA waiting to happen.

Reactions: tiger_80

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Neither was very good in the game. In Doughty's case he gets too jacked at times and trying to do too much. When you see him chasing plays around the net you know he's off. I think Foegele nailing him with a hit early also contributed to get his juices running too much.

Doughty can still play a game when he contains himself better. But when he starts thinking he's still some D monster he attempts stuff beyond his current ability. Overplays. Kopitar has struggled this season to contain best top lines. Not sure what Kings are thinking throwing Laferriere up on top line. He's GA waiting to happen.
I think Doughty is overcompensating when he does that. He makes tons of mistakes against us regular season and playoffs. And yet he’s the one calling out his teammates constantly. McD made Doughty look like a joke with that behind the net spin and pass to Hyman. Watch Doughty almost take himself out trying to jump past the net to keep up with McD lol.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
If reality matches appearances in Game 1, the tactic of redesigning the power play in the background, but not deploying it until Game 1 of the playoffs is a coaching master stroke.

If basically every player on the ice other than Bouchard continues to rotate like they did and move in and out of scoring areas like they did they will be impossible to stop. Our PP is still pretty good relative to everyone else when the play is stagnant and passes are telegraphed, this degree of unpredictability takes it to another stratosphere.
Thing is though the diamond is best suited to limit chances around slot. Its not suited to defending what we do, which is a lot of downlow, a lot of work around the net, shot passes, or Drai one timer or McD wraps or Drai just taking it to net. Putting one D back is what the Oilers WANT a team to do. Conversely we don't score a lot from the slot. We score from sides, we score right around the net on PP. The diamond doesn't mitigate what we do.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I think Doughty is overcompensating when he does that. He makes tons of mistakes against us regular season and playoffs. And yet he’s the one calling out his teammates constantly. McD made Doughty look like a joke with that behind the net spin and pass to Hyman. Watch Doughty almost take himself out trying to jump past the net to keep up with McD lol.

My sense of the Kings is that losing to us is still personal for Doughty, but I don't get as much of that sense of that anymore from the rest of their team.

Playing hockey when you are desperate, but your teammates aren't isn't fun and frustration builds rapidly. Keep pressing him, keep demoralizing him and he'll take himself out of the series organically.

Reactions: TheNumber4

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Sad thing for Doughty is in prime he could probably do a much better job. Aging and realizing limitations is a really tough thing. Especially with the compete mentality of a Doughty. Mind willing, body unable. Losing steps and footspeed means Doughty can't contain elite skaters like McD anymore.

Mind you on that first goal nobody on the planet can.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Sad thing for Doughty is in prime he could probably do a much better job. Aging and realizing limitations is a really tough thing. Especially with the compete mentality of a Doughty. Mind willing, body unable. Losing steps and footspeed means Doughty can't contain elite skaters like McD anymore.

Mind you on that first goal nobody on the planet can.
He had his time. Now it's time to move over. Wonder if his Bronze Statue will look as goofy as Dustin Brown's.

Reactions: TB12

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
My sense of the Kings is that losing to us is still personal for Doughty, but I don't get as much of that sense of that anymore from the rest of their team.

Playing hockey when you are desperate, but your teammates aren't isn't fun and frustration builds rapidly. Keep pressing him, keep demoralizing him and he'll take himself out of the series organically.
If Doughty was a coach, and he thinks he is, he would've been fired by now. He's operating in the room as if he has the room, as if its the group he used to have. Its no longer working ideally. Probably a chaotic room at times and its perhaps why too Kings have had a rocky up and down year. Too much chaos, messages and even some lay down and "no, were not doing it"

The curious thing in the game is that Doughty, Kopitar, Arviddson, the oldest Kings players were the worst Kings players. You'd expect the vets to be making less mistakes and have more composure.

He had his time. Now it's time to move over. Wonder if his Bronze Statue will look as goofy as Dustin Brown's.
In fairness how could you do an accurate statue of Dustin Brown without it looking Goofy?

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
If Doughty was a coach, and he thinks he is, he would've been fired by now. He's operating in the room as if he has the room, as if its the group he used to have. Its no longer working ideally. Probably a chaotic room at times and its perhaps why too Kings have had a rocky up and down year. Too much chaos, messages and even some lay down and "no, were not doing it"

The curious thing in the game is that Doughty, Kopitar, Arviddson, the oldest Kings players were the worst Kings players. You'd expect the vets to be making less mistakes and have more composure.
Doughty is a cup winning HoF player. He should have the room no? I would say if there is a chaotic room it’s probably due to players like PLD and Fiala rather than the vets. You yourself said Fiala was an issue earlier this season.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
My fear is the oilers were too good on the powerplay so the refs will swallow their whistles

They were already likely going to do this, but your point is valid. The refs won't want to decide the game by giving a good PP chances by calling the actual game rules, so instead they will influence the game by allowing infractions against the actual game rules. It's madness, but its also what the NHL wants, apparently.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Doughty is a cup winning HoF player. He should have the room no? I would say if there is a chaotic room it’s probably due to players like PLD and Fiala rather than the vets. You yourself said Fiala was an issue earlier this season.
I don't dispute this. Yeah. But that happens on a lot of teams, it happens in orgs, etc. In present day it just seems as if sage and experience is less listened to. We don't live in an ethos that respects that.
In the hockey world specifically we also have a media and marketing that purport that rook players like Connor Bedard or Zegras are some kind of superstars. They act like it. Like little Kings. excuse pun..

Wouldn't be the only team that doesn't always listen.

But as others have mentioned when Doughty himself is playing subpar then his words tend to ring hollow reaming out present day players.

Lastly it Was Doughty, Kopitar and others that locked a coach out of the dressingroom. It was also Doughty that laid over on Jarett Stoll resulting in the latter getting Cocaine charges. Doughty is a prick, established, to his own players. I lost respect for Doughty after what went down with Stoll. You can read up on it. Stoll bought Cocaine for the team to celebrate. They told him to be the mule. they then laid down on him so that he would get the charges. Kopitar maintains he wasn't involved. Damn straight that Doughty and others were.

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad