GDT: WCF Game #1 - Sharks @ Blues - Voltron Edition - 5:00pm PDT NBCSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I thought we were poor in the 1st period, and we were great in the 2nd. Difference in the game was goal tending. We need to find a way to beat Elliot, because by what I seen, if Goal Tending ends up a wash in this series, then we win it.

Elliott was definitely the better goaltender, but their special teams were also better.

And I said this last series, but guys like Wingels need to produce more. As do guys like Nieto (when in the lineup). There wasn't enough bottom 6 production in the last series, outside of the two Tierney goals in game 6.

Need goals from guys other than the usual suspects.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
That GWG was on both Burns and Jones. Both could have stopped it without difficulty but neither did.

It was a stoppable shot and the clearing attempt by Burns was beyond pathetic.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Deboer's Devils lost game 1 of the 2012 ECF. Just sayin'

Devils won the next game, on the road as well. Eventually they took two games from the Rangers in MSG by not losing anymore games on the road.

Sharks will very likely need to take two games on the road to win. It's not common to defend home ice in the conference finals in recent years. And the Sharks don't have home ice advantage to win by defending home ice.

If the Sharks lose the next game, it's going to be a tough hole to climb out of. I would look for a much better effort in the next game as DeBoer will know the importance of it, and make sure the players do.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Blues won't look scary- it's not their game. Their game is making good offenses and PPs look subpar, which they absolutely did.

Jones has to make himself bigger on the Lehtera goal. Overall, tight checking game, the team who made the bigger mistake (Burns+Jones) lost. That will likely be par for the course.

No doubt.

I get that Burns made a mistake, but Jones made a much bigger one.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
It was a stoppable shot and the clearing attempt by Burns was beyond pathetic.

And the follow-up by Burns to defend the shot was as well. Burns looked more like an on-ice spectator

No doubt.

I get that Burns made a mistake, but Jones made a much bigger one.

But Burns made two mistakes... failing to make an easy clear, and failing to properly defend the subsequent shot. Yes, Jones let an easy one in, but it's tough to say that Jones made a bigger mistake than Burns' two horrible ones. Watch the replay on it.

halcyon

Jun 23, 2015
Hey Sharks fans. I didn't watch the game, but can someone tell me if the Blues got away with as much uncalled interference/holding as they usually do?

I am not one to complain about refs much, honestly. But with the Blues, it is completely ridiculous how much that team gets away with. It was apparent ALL throughout the series with the Blackhawks, and also in every game I watched of the Blues against Dallas.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Hey Sharks fans. I didn't watch the game, but can someone tell me if the Blues got away with as much uncalled interference/holding as they usually do?

I am not one to complain about refs much, honestly. But with the Blues, it is completely ridiculous how much that team gets away with. It was apparent ALL throughout the series with the Blackhawks, and also in every game I watched of the Blues against Dallas.

The blues are bad for hockey. Hitchcock hockey needs to die.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011

Meh it wasn't too bad today.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

Los Angeles got away with significantly more.

Also, outside of our top-7 forwards, nobody is doing anything offensively.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
And the follow-up by Burns to defend the shot was as well. Burns looked more like an on-ice spectator

But Burns made two mistakes... failing to make an easy clear, and failing to properly defend the subsequent shot. Yes, Jones let an easy one in, but it's tough to say that Jones made a bigger mistake than Burns' two horrible ones. Watch the replay on it.

I just don't want the players to go around believing that it is their job to never make any kind of minor mistake, ever, because their goaltender just might "screw the pooch". That, IMO, was the issue with Nabokov and Niemi, at times. Another player knocking down a pass/rushed up-pass happens a half-dozen times a game, and Burns didn't rush at Lehtera (probably so that Lehtera couldn't get inside).

Hell, if I am Burns, I am thinking: a clear, unscreened shot from the top of the circle? I let my goaltender handle that every time...getting in the way could block my goalie's sight or result in a deflected goal.

Last edited:

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Los Angeles got away with significantly more.

Also, outside of our top-7 forwards, nobody is doing anything offensively.

They are not getting scoring chances, but they are getting possession and zone time which is helpful. There were a couple of times tonight the 4th line was out against Stansy's line and won the possession battle. I like our chances I this series.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Hell, if I am Burns, I am thinking: a clear, unscreened shot from the top of the circle? I let my goaltender handle that every time...getting in the way could block my goalie's site result in a deflection.

Yep, that was solidly on Jones.

Hertl and Donskoi need to start playing like men. None of this passive, perimeter BS and deferring to the other team. They need to take Ward's lead.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Not completely excusing Jones, but Burns tipped the shot and changed it's trajectory. He does have to squeeze his arms tighter, tho.

Thepainter

Feb 9, 2010
Bay Area, California
oh good, the typical Sharks post-game thread where all of the armchair NHL players and coaches chime in on why we will lose the series.

Losing by a single goal on the road in game 1 is hardly anything to get upset about. Take game 2 then use our home ice to drain them of any hope.

DuckEatinShark

GET ALL THE PPs!!!!
Jul 20, 2009
San Jose
My biggest fear is that their PK completely neutralized our PP. Against Nashville we entered the zone and setup a lot faster than we did tonight. If our special teams cannot dominate, we will have trouble scoring against STL, especially with Elliot playing so well.

We won the Nashville series on special teams alone. We need our special teams to continue to dominate or the Blues will simply be more aggressive on the forecheck.

Goldenshark

Sep 16, 2007
Vacaville
My biggest fear is that their PK completely neutralized our PP. Against Nashville we entered the zone and setup a lot faster than we did tonight. If our special teams cannot dominate, we will have trouble scoring against STL, especially with Elliot playing so well.

We won the Nashville series on special teams alone. We need our special teams to continue to dominate or the Blues will simply be more aggressive on the forecheck.

The Sharks PP was a combined 2/10 in 3 games in Nashville during Round 2. There's only been one game so far, let's see how the Sharks adjust in game 2.

Hold the Pickles

Aug 16, 2003
03-K64
That GWG was on both Burns and Jones. Both could have stopped it without difficulty but neither did.

I'd even add tierney in on that too. His stupid pass in the o-zone started the blues rush in the 1st place. Burns then doubled down on stupid and jones completed the trifecta.

But still, we've got to be able to bail our goalie out on 1 softie, especially with that much time left. Poor overall effort tonight, we will certainly get better.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
But still, we've got to be able to bail our goalie out on 1 softie, especially with that much time left. Poor overall effort tonight, we will certainly get better.

This right here. Blame Burns, blame Jones, whatever - but our defensive systems only allowed 2 goals over 60 minutes of play. You aren't gonna win many games with only a single goal. There are gonna be defensive break downs - shut outs are pretty rare. You've got to have an offense capable of converting the opponent's mistakes into goals, and that just didn't happen tonight.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
When i played water polo, my cousin told me "every game you play, take your first shot as soon as you can, throw as hard as you can, and try to hit the goalie in the face. Make him afraid of you the rest of the game."

If the blues are gonna front pucks and collapse, lets start firing away and ding them up. Maybe it will cause some hesitancy and open up lanes

DystopianTierney

V^V^V 2050 V^V^V
May 3, 2014
Campbell, CA
No way Jones gets a pass on that. Not in the CF.

Complete blown opportunity by the entire team. We had a lot of guys playing horrible, and the Blues looked even worse....

Looked like two average teams out there, honestly. The Blues were so ****ing flat this game... How many odd many rushes did they squander? Just a brutal showing by our guys against a team playing their worst game of the playoffs. :gift:

The team from the 1st round and games 5+7 from round 2 would have annihilated that Blues team. They've been finding ways to lose lately when it isn't "all there".

The GWG just makes this one feel like even more of a gift.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Neither team brought their best. The difference is a bad goal. It happens but the offense needs to put up more than one goal. That's pretty much the Nabokov special so just move on and steal game two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad