WC SF: May 12th GDT - Russia vs. Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Lehtonen was the factor today. And losing Markov for the 3rd might have been the turning point as well. Saying that the Markov's injury was an accident is totally ridiculous....Can't wait to see if Mayers does that to Koivu in the finals if it will be an accident to stick out your leg like that....:shakehead

Tree-hugger

Feb 28, 2007
Paris
nice job by Ruutu of getting the puck to the net, and fantastic job by Koivu lo lift the goalies stick.

Indeed. I was actually waiting to see a discussion about how he should have been penalized for obstructing the goalie, but man, was it a neat move.

I still would very much like to see that T. Ruutu's body-check somewhere. We just collectively decided that it was the most exciting moment of the game.

Anyway, for what it's worth; Russians just couldn't capitalize in the third. It happens, but that game they showed in the over time was just unacceptable. How did turn so defensive ?

Big "no-no" to Slava.

Marksman

Mar 2, 2003
Visit site
I knew this was coming, but I had hoped for Russia to beat Finland, so Sweden could be the ones stopping Russias attacks, and because Swedens offense is alot better than Finlands in this tournament, it would not have been such a close game. Now we're looking att a really close Swe-Fin final game.

Well, it seems Sweden gets their second chance with Russia, good luck.

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
Probably some facts from history ? :biglaugh:
Or you have alternative history (finland occupied Russia? :sarcasm:) :biglaugh:

Russia/Soviet union didn't occupy Finland in WWII.

"During World War II, it was able to successfully defend its freedom and resist invasions by the Soviet Union - albeit with some loss of territory." - https://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/fi.html

"The military history of Finland during World War II covers the history of Finland from 1939 to 1945. During World War II the fate of Finland was unique among the belligerent nations. Finland fought three wars: the Winter War alone against the Soviet Union, the Continuation War with Germany against the Soviet Union, and the Lapland War alone against Germany. In the end, Finland had managed, against all odds, to defend its independence and democratic constitution while suffering relatively minor territorial losses." -Wikipedia

Soviet Union also had over 10 times more casulties than Finland

:teach:

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Isn't it a bit early for you to be gloating so much? Canada hasn't won anything yet.
Gloating? The post was strictly about Finland vs. Russia, there was no mention of Canada at all. Can't you accept a little bit of criticism sometime? Ask yourself why hasn't Russia win so long. Surely, there must be something wrong despite having so many good forwards.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Ask yourself why hasn't Russia win so long. Surely, there must be something wrong despite having so many good forwards.

When you look at russian fans comment on clean hits (J.Ruutu in the first game) and how their players rather stay on the ice looking at the ref after each little bump....there could be something there.

I think they mistake stick handling and passing as overall skill, and overlook the physical side of hockey. Their players want to feel comfortable and run around the offensive zone, passing pucks to eachother and creating good looking plays. Once the opponent starts finishing their checks, russians are out of their comfort zone.

Like Wall

I am Registered User
May 2, 2006
Letu zeme
Russia still has a chance to "win". If they brace themselves together, there could be a chance of smashing the Swedish defences and end up with bronze around the neck. At least for the sake of russian fans

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
ovechkin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad