WC: May 12 GDT - Switzerland vs. Slovakia

swisdan

Feb 18, 2005
earth
qube.cpacon.com
A very lucky goal for Slovakia. A pass from behind the net, the puck 's slided against the skates of two swiss dmen and after between the Aebischer's legs. 1-0 after one period.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
That didn't look like elbowing to me. Or anything worth 5+20...

Well, I guess the Swiss are done now...

EDIT: Well, that didn't look like boarding either...

Frozen

Aug 23, 2004
NightScout said:
That didn't look like elbowing to me. Or anything worth 5+20...
There was elbow in the hit but didn't expect 5+20 from that, guess the bleeding nose had more to do with that.

Switzerland still tied it 2-2 when playing 4on4 after Slovakia got a penalty soon after. That was the final score as well.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Frozen said:
There was elbow in the hit but didn't expect 5+20 from that, guess the bleeding nose had more to do with that.

Yeah, I'm not sure what the definition of the rule is. There was elbow, but it wasn't the elbow that hit the Slovak in the face. It was a shoulder. The elbow came up only after the impact.

But of course, when there's bleeding you have to give 5+20...

twelve

May 19, 2005
Vanman said:
Is it a major injury???

I don't know, but I suppose so. I don't think Marian would fake it, after all Frantisek Hossa is the coach and the game yesterday was already very important. Had the injury been a small one, I'm sure Marian would have played.

twelve

May 19, 2005
NightScout said:
Yeah, I'm not sure what the definition of the rule is. There was elbow, but it wasn't the elbow that hit the Slovak in the face. It was a shoulder. The elbow came up only after the impact.

But of course, when there's bleeding you have to give 5+20...

Deruns always makes that movement with the arm after the check. Seen from some angles, that looks as if it were an elbow check, but nothing bad enough for a 5 minute penalty. The ref wanted to give just 2 minutes first, but then there was the bleeding nose (which actually was caused by a Slovak stick as the SLK player was checked so he fell towards the bench of his own team). But we all know the rule. Show the referee you're bleeding after a check and the opponent gets 5 minutes. Good for the Swiss that they didn't let that faze them and powered on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad