WC Group D: Apr 27 GDT - Switzerland vs. Austria (4-4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bacchus

Nov 11, 2002
Dickes B
Visit site
Fredrik said:
I'm not sure I would have allowed the goal. But there were no real protests by the Austrians from what I could see.

For me it looked like goalie interference. But maybe the Swiss player was pushed into Divis? Didn't see that, though. :dunno:

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
man I feel sorry for the Austrians now. Not the best game in the world but very exciting/interesting :)

MrRuin

Sponsor
Apr 7, 2004
Somewhere in time
well this is the second time we blow a lead in the last period :(

Still, an awesome second period and an overall solid effort. In the end it was the close game we thought it would be. I think the tie is ok and puts austria in the top spot in the division before the final matchup between Canada and Switzerland.

If someone told me Austria will be unbeaten after the first round before the tournament Id have taken it in a heartbeat :)

MrRuin

Sponsor
Apr 7, 2004
Somewhere in time
He was born in austria and also lived his first 14 years in Austria before moving to North America. His father is born in the czech rep and his mother in slovakia.

In summer he comes to train in Austria and he has his friends here so thats prolly the reason along with citizenship of course.

jonas_bay

Mar 10, 2004
It was overall a fair tie. The Swiss missed a few good oportunities in the first 10 minutes of the second period, the austrias (or how do you call people from austria on english ? ;)) in the third period.

Not a good game by the both goalies. Divis made two mistakes (2:4 by Plüss and the 4:4), Gerber also one big mistake (1:2) and the 1:4 would also have been possible to save.

I hope that tomorrow Bührer gets his chance and guides the Swiss to a victory over Canada. :D

MrRuin

Sponsor
Apr 7, 2004
Somewhere in time
jonas_bay said:
It was overall a fair tie. The Swiss missed a few good oportunities in the first 10 minutes of the second period, the austrias (or how do you call people from austria on english ? ;)) in the third period.

Not a good game by the both goalies. Divis made two mistakes (2:4 by Plüss and the 4:4), Gerber also one big mistake (1:2) and the 1:4 would also have been possible to save.

I hope that tomorrow Bührer gets his chance and guides the Swiss to a victory over Canada. :D

that would be austrians :teach: :p:

Fan.At

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2002
HFNHL Preds
The reasons for the tie from an austrian point of view:

- Switzerland put a lot of pressure on the austrian defense in the third period.
- The refs were bad. There should have been at least two calls on Vanek... And the third goal was not ok - Jenni clearly interfered Divis. Is this because Austria is not a "big" hockey nation?
- Gerber robbed Szucs and Setzinger on breakaways
- Divis should have kept the puck. Man, 20 seconds before the final whistle and he goes for the empty netter.

Before the game I would have been satisfied with a tie, but blowing a 4-1 lead is bad, especially after doing it twice in a row (2-0 lead vs Canada).

However, this team is young (the youngest at the WC) and has a bright future. The quarter final is still possible, Germany or Latvia are tough opponents, but everything is possible here...

Last edited:

Strizzi

Aug 8, 2002
Visit site
jonas_bay said:

I actually don't think Gerber played that bad, from what I saw in the replays. At the 1:4, he did not see the shot because a fellow Swiss player screened him accidentially. And he made a couple of nice saves on breakaways in the third.

Strizzi

Aug 8, 2002
Visit site
Fan.At said:
- The refs were bad. There should have been at least two calls on Vanek... And the third goal was not ok - Jenni clearly interfered Divis. Is this because Austria is not a "big" hockey nation?
From what I saw in the replays, Jenni was pushed into Divis by an austrian defender. Of course our glasses have different colors, so we might just disagree, but to me it really looked that way.

Fan.At

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2002
HFNHL Preds
Strizzi said:
From what I saw in the replays, Jenni was pushed into Divis by an austrian defender. Of course our glasses have different colors, so we might just disagree, but to me it really looked that way.
You may be right. The austrians had it in their own hands and failed, but some of the refs decisions in that game are beyond me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad