WBS Penguins 2017-18 Season Thread: Pens out in first round, black aces are up

Status
Not open for further replies.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
WB takes on Springfield tonight:

Archie's 14 day stint is over and is back up in PIT.
D goes a second game without Bengts.
DeSmith back in net.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Not sure on Bengts. Last i heard he was under the weather. Dunno if it's POTS related or what.
Johnson? No clue. Listed as a HS. ETA: With McKegg back they'll probably swap rookies Johnson/Quinney in and out @ C most nights...

Also looks like Troy Josephs is back to playing. Caught this goal gif from a recent Wheeling game:

Last edited:

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009

WB went up 1. Springfield score 2 back. 2-1 after one.

Springfield scores a PP goal to go up 3-1.
I'm listening on radio and seems WB is getting good chances but ain't cashing in.

McKegg with a PP goal. 1st as a WB Pen. 3-2. Not a PP goal officially. Came 2 seconds after a PP ended.

WB gets a PP right after and Sprong slaps another one in. 3-3.

Sprong pots another at ES. 4-3 WB in the 3rd.

ZAR sets up Haggerty. 5-3.

Mcgrath with an EN'er. 6-3.
Fin.

Last edited:
Reactions: Extra Texture

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
That's what I like to see. Come on Daniel, force their hand in calling you up!

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
It's disgusting that Sprong is still in WBS.... Success can be a double edge sword.

There was an opportunity for a call-up, but Sprong had a dry spell and Simon was outproducing him so he got the call instead. If Sprong keeps producing, he'll be next in line. If he doesn't, he won't.

There's nothing disgusting about that, unless you consider merit-based promotion disgusting.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Even with Sprong's issues, he's still leading WBS in points and goals. I really hope we see what he can do at the NHL level before contemplating trading him.

Reactions: Whakahere

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
There was an opportunity for a call-up, but Sprong had a dry spell and Simon was outproducing him so he got the call instead. If Sprong keeps producing, he'll be next in line. If he doesn't, he won't.

There's nothing disgusting about that, unless you consider merit-based promotion disgusting.

Yo, if you haven't noticed every scorer goes through droughts in today's brand of defense first, balloon goalies and shot blocking hockey.

yeesh

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Yo, if you haven't noticed every scorer goes through droughts in today's brand of defense first, balloon goalies and shot blocking hockey.

yeesh

And that applies to literally everyone, not just Sprong. A fellow winger was outscoring him when an opportunity arose, so he got passed over. As an offense-only winger, if he wants the call-up next time, he has to be a more consistent scorer than his competition.

So far, it looks like he's doing that. If he keeps it up, he'll be the next in line. If he doesn't, he won't.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I wonder if Simon's promotion lit a fire in Sprong. Maybe the org was sending him a bit of a message. You want to be called up to the NHL? Play like it. I haven't watched a ton of games to know if that's true or not, but it wouldn't be the first time a team held their top prospect to a higher standard.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Except Simon was 2nd right behind Sprong in scoring when he got called up.

Edit: I'm not saying Simon shouldn't be here. I'd like them both on the team. Di Pauli as well.

Sure but Simon had more ES points at the time of call up. Having said that, if the goal was to boost goal scoring, Sprong would have been the clear winner as Simon only has 3 goals on the year. If Sprong isn't traded, I think he gets called up post whatever big trades JR makes. My guess is when they call him up, they want to make sure it's for good. So get the kid on a hot streak in the A and then bring him up. Just a hunch though.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
It honestly doesn't matter how many goals Sprong scores.

The pens aren't calling him up in til they are satisfied with his play away from the puck.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
It honestly doesn't matter how many goals Sprong scores.

The pens aren't calling him up in til they are satisfied with his play away from the puck.

Maybe, but I sure hope they aren't expecting him to be better than Kessel, for example, on the defensive side of things. If he can score 2 for every 1 he gives up for being a bonehead, I'll take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad