WBS Penguins 2017-18 Season Thread: Pens out in first round, black aces are up

Status
Not open for further replies.

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
Now that we are at playoff time, COULD the Pens make a call up without it being injury related or does that 4 call-up rule last until WBS is done playing?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Seems like we both have the same general feeling about the 1st and 4th lines. Both could and probably should be better, but Sully's mind is set. If there was nothing that Sprong or Simon could do to earn another chance that 1RW spot since their demotions then upward mobility's an illusion, at least for the rest of this year.

We'd have been better off had we taken a pass on Jooris. I thought he'd be a capable depth guy if we suffered a huge run of injuries, but he's being used as a de facto injury option, blocking better players and enabling Sully to try to will bad line combos into working well past their best before date.

Broadly speaking, yeah. I'm more alright with them, but I don't think they're the best they could be, or the ones we'll end the play-offs with, at least not in current form.

I'm also alright with upward mobility - at least from outside the squad - not being much of a thing this time of year. Not a great time to be integrating new players. I'd be upset if Simon was playing great on the 3rd/4th and never considered for going back to the 1st, but that's a slightly different kettle of fish.

Where I do disagree strongly is on Jooris. I think he's done a real good job for us - everything bar scoring - and I'm grateful we have him when I consider the other alternatives for centre cover.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Not sure when Pens will be able to bring bodies up since the playoffs for WB is uncertain as to length. Really no one except Jarry if a goalie is injured looks to play anyway.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Broadly speaking, yeah. I'm more alright with them, but I don't think they're the best they could be, or the ones we'll end the play-offs with, at least not in current form.

I'm also alright with upward mobility - at least from outside the squad - not being much of a thing this time of year. Not a great time to be integrating new players. I'd be upset if Simon was playing great on the 3rd/4th and never considered for going back to the 1st, but that's a slightly different kettle of fish.

Not ideal, for sure. It's something we should have been doing earlier.

The problem with Simon is kind of the inverse problem with Rust. Rust is good anywhere but w/ Sid and Simon is feast or famine w/ Sid on the 1st or w/ whatever scraps are left on the 4th. Opportunities in the middle 6 have been relatively few and far between.

And it all started with Sully, apropos of nothing but the desire to fix what wasn't broke, moving Rust from Brass and Phil's LW where they were going like gangbusters. Had he simply stuck with that, I think we'd be in a lot better shape heading into the post-season.

Where I do disagree strongly is on Jooris. I think he's done a real good job for us - everything bar scoring - and I'm grateful we have him when I consider the other alternatives for centre cover.

My issues with Jooris playing are mostly when he was being used as a winger. With Brass out he's pretty much a necessary evil, but we're still icing Kuhn anyway, so...

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

The problem with Simon is kind of the inverse problem with Rust. Rust is good anywhere but w/ Sid and Simon is feast or famine w/ Sid on the 1st or w/ whatever scraps are left on the 4th. Opportunities in the middle 6 have been relatively few and far between.

And it all started with Sully, apropos of nothing but the desire to fix what wasn't broke, moving Rust from Brass and Phil's LW where they were going like gangbusters. Had he simply stuck with that, I think we'd be in a lot better shape heading into the post-season.

My issues with Jooris playing are mostly when he was being used as a winger. With Brass out he's pretty much a necessary evil, but we're still icing Kuhn anyway, so...

I think you put too much stock into lines if you think "we'd be in a lot better shape heading into the post-season" with Rust-Brass-Kessel vs Sheary-Brass-Kessel.

There is always something to complain about with the lines, but if the top 9 is what's been reported in practice today and the 4th line has ZAR-Sheahan-Jooris, then any complaining is blowing something out of proportion IMO.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I think you put too much stock into lines if you think "we'd be in a lot better shape heading into the post-season" with Rust-Brass-Kessel vs Sheary-Brass-Kessel.

There is always something to complain about with the lines, but if the top 9 is what's been reported in practice today and the 4th line has ZAR-Sheahan-Jooris, then any complaining is blowing something out of proportion IMO.

The former line was fantastic and the latter has been a dud, and the former has the added bonus of making Rust unavailable to his regular role as 1st line misfit, so I feel pretty confident about that claim.

It's an impressive collection of forward talent, but we're not really close to exploiting it fully. Too much oil and water there IMO. I just hope Sully isn't so rigid that he's willing to make these combos his hill to die on if/when we're up against it.

Reactions: PensandCaps

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
The former line was fantastic and the latter has been a dud, and the former has the added bonus of making Rust unavailable to his regular role as 1st line misfit, so I feel pretty confident about that claim.

It's an impressive collection of forward talent, but we're not really close to exploiting it fully. Too much oil and water there IMO. I just hope Sully isn't so rigid that he's willing to make these combos his hill to die on if/when we're up against it.

Did I dream about Sid going on a 5 game goal streak with Rust on his line? Sheary has been playing better as of late. I'm not saying lines can't be better, I just think you are exaggerating things.

I have faith in Sully to mix things up if they struggle to connect. That said, I think Sully is leaning on Sid's line to stack up head to head and come out even or slightly ahead and let lines 2-3 win on superior depth.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Now that we are at playoff time, COULD the Pens make a call up without it being injury related or does that 4 call-up rule last until WBS is done playing?

Believe they can call up as many as they want atm.
Say Wilkes wasn't gonna make the playoffs, they'd bring up their "black aces" squad immediately after they were done their last season game.
This is a guess and i don't know for sure.

Reactions: AverageJoeFan

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Sprong aside, who do you think isn't integrated that should be forwards wise? Personally I think Simon and ZAR are as integrated as they need to be - if Simon's not getting picked, that's on his form or Sully's mistake, not his inability to play with the team.

I don't dislike Rust with Sid or Sheary with Brassard and Kessel as much as you do, but I do miss Rust-Brassard-Kessel.

Which is two-thirds of Simon's most common non-Sid line for what it's worth. Wouldn't mind seeing that line again either.

And we're back to me not wanting Sprong (or Simon really) on line 4 and not seeing top 9 opportunities for them at that time. Or this time either. *pauses* Well, guess you could try Simon to give a little skill and craftiness to 4C and ZAR. Wouldn't object either - just I don't object to them thinking its not the right idea either.

Idle curiousity - how good do you think Simon is? Because I'm really not sure myself. Even on Sid's line he seemed really inconsistent.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012

I've hated Rust with Crosby for a long time, but it has looked much better recently with Crosby skating hard away from the puck for the first time in quite a while.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Something positive: Sprong scores in a 3-2 win, he also had 11 shots. Jarry stops 28.

He didn't win the AHL rookie of the year but I imagine he finished second, if he'd played a few more games he'd probably have scored more points than the winner, Mason Appleton. Also finished tied for 4th in goals, same number of goals as former Pens great, Eric Tangradi.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Drozg is playing today. Haven’t heard anything about Miletic joining the team yet.

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
Bellerive
SeasonTeamGPGAPTS+/-PIMPPGSHGSOGGWGFOWFOAPTS/G
2018 WHL PlayoffsLET108101841450511601211.80
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Looks like he is having some fun in the POs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad