WBS Penguins 2017-18 Season Thread: Pens out in first round, black aces are up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I dunno, WC. We have quite a few guys on the roster that came up from WB/S and earned their stripes in the playoffs. Hell, we even put Pouliot in for a few games. :laugh: I don't think it'd be ideal, but I think honestly Sprong's chances of getting in are better than you're painting it there. But I think it's going to take an injury to Sheary to do it, because there's other options for the 4th line.

Could be. But Sprong has a few things working against him.

We're deeper on the wing than we've been in previous runs, and already have rookies Simon and ZAR ahead on the depth chart. Sprong is one-dimensional, and most of the WBS guys have had more well-rounded games to earn trust/bolster their chances. And Sprong also has a little attitude which Sully's been known to bristle at (ie Cole) and the org may be trying to humble him to a degree.

I'm not ruling it out, but based on everything I've seen and heard I'd be pretty surprised if we see Sprong on the big club again before next fall. It's not a Greek tragedy, but I'd have given him a shot while ZAR and Simon are injured instead of cycling through the Adams and Glass calibre plugs, who can only do so much even in a best-case scenario.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Semi-related, but why is it always the coaches who came up as terrible grinders who have problems with any confident players? :laugh: Therrien, Bylsma, Sullivan, Quinn... ad infinitum.

Reactions: Warm Cookies

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Semi-related, but why is it always the coaches who came up as terrible grinders who have problems with any confident players? :laugh: Therrien, Bylsma, Sullivan, Quinn... ad infinitum.

Because they were always insecure about their talent and whether they could play in the NHL and those guys aren’t....

Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Teddy Bloogs' numbers look pretty good this season.

37 points in 57 games now. Hope he's one of the first in line for a call-up next year. Surprising he hasn't even gotten a cup of coffee yet.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

If Bylsma's attitude is any indication, it's because they can't get over their jealousy of players who make the game look easy.

Bylsma sounds so bitter whenever he talks about his time playing briefly with Wayne Gretzky in LA.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
That call up was one of the more ridiculous things Sullivan/JR have done so far.

"Oh hey let's call up a C that looked good in camp and in WBS, but....let's not even let him play!!"

There is nothing ridiculous about it. He was called up "In case" and they didnt need him. If they thought he was an NHL center right now he would already have a place on the team. There not gonna play a guy just to use the new toy.

You have every right to disagree with their assessment but nothing about how the situation played out is ridiculous.

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
There is nothing ridiculous about it. He was called up "In case" and they didnt need him. If they thought he was an NHL center right now he would already have a place on the team. There not gonna play a guy just to use the new toy.

You have every right to disagree with their assessment but nothing about how the situation played out is ridiculous.
It is kind of weird tho. Under most circumstances you would not call someone up unless you were going to play them. If he is still a player in development then it wouldn't make sense to call him up to sit him. I can why that could be the case if they are placing someone in the top 6 and that person is not going to sit out like originally thought. But for the most part it seems kind of pointless otherwise.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
It is kind of weird tho. Under most circumstances you would not call someone up unless you were going to play them. If he is still a player in development then it wouldn't make sense to call him up to sit him. I can why that could be the case if they are placing someone in the top 6 and that person is not going to sit out like originally thought. But for the most part it seems kind of pointless otherwise.

Czuczman, G Wilson, Summers and Pedan have all been called up this season without playing iirc. Seems pretty normal to call up a body just in case then return them unused.

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
Czuczman, G Wilson, Summers and Pedan have all been called up this season without playing iirc. Seems pretty normal to call up a body just in case then return them unused.
I think Pedan was the only surprise to me. I know they can for sure, just seems weird to call up a quality player just to hang out in the press box for a couple of nights. Maybe it's the cal up to create competition, but if that were truly the case it would only work if you played them, I think.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

He was there for what a week (or two?) in case of injury. Its just that simple. Sitting for a couple games and practicing with the NHL team for a short time wont hinder development. Its much ado about nothing. IMO he was probably not complaining about the NHL paycheck and per diem.

Reactions: AverageJoeFan

WDYT

Jul 23, 2017
I don't think there's anything odd about calling up a guy but not using them. Blueger was brought up as insurance while they were on a road trip and one of their regular forwards was hurt. They didn't end up needing to use him. I think teams typically think something like that can be a useful experience because the prospect gets to practice with the NHL team for a bit. Not a big deal.

I'm surprised there hasn't been discussion about Sprong being a healthy scratch yesterday. I think it's clear that there are reasons they think he needs development and is not ready for the NHL. Their pattern of usage of young players the last few years does NOT indicate that they don't trust rookies. See Murray, Dumoulin, Rust, Sheary, Kuhnhackl, Guentzel as examples of rookies who earned regular roles pretty quickly. It seemed Aston-Reese and to a lesser extent Simon were following that pattern. There are clearly things they are trying to get into Sprong's head that they're not yet.

Reactions: Freeptop

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
I don't think there's anything odd about calling up a guy but not using them. Blueger was brought up as insurance while they were on a road trip and one of their regular forwards was hurt. They didn't end up needing to use him. I think teams typically think something like that can be a useful experience because the prospect gets to practice with the NHL team for a bit. Not a big deal.

I'm surprised there hasn't been discussion about Sprong being a healthy scratch yesterday. I think it's clear that there are reasons they think he needs development and is not ready for the NHL. Their pattern of usage of young players the last few years does NOT indicate that they don't trust rookies. See Murray, Dumoulin, Rust, Sheary, Kuhnhackl, Guentzel as examples of rookies who earned regular roles pretty quickly. It seemed Aston-Reese and to a lesser extent Simon were following that pattern. There are clearly things they are trying to get into Sprong's head that they're not yet.
I didn't know he was a healthy scratch..that's kind of unbelievable. Yikes...

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Yeah, Sullivan’s team of grinders like Sheary, Kessel, and Jake Guentzel.

Maybe, like was said at the time of his draft and has followed him since then Sprong is just a prick?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Yeah, that’s what I meant.

I guess he is “technically” a healthy scratch. But obviously they are saying it wasn’t for any reason other than getting a different angle for the game.

I'm not sure why he's getting scratched. Judging from Sully's comments it's about how he supports the play, and Donatelli's comments seem to suggest that. They like their call-ups to play a certain way whether we like it or not, and I imagine they're trying to drill that into Sprong.

He's probably wondering why a plug like Jooris (1 point in 4 AHL games) is getting the call too...so maybe scratching him after a game when he scored is trying to highlight that it's not just about production.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad