WBS Penguins 2017-18 Season Thread: Pens out in first round, black aces are up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
The baby Pens have lost some offense to callups (ZAR, Simon) & trades (McKegg). Hopefully Miletic and Bellerive can fill in once their seasons are over, maybe Lafferty too.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Jooris should put up similar numbers to McKegg. Going to assume one of ZAR/Simon ends up back in WBS sooner rather than later once everyone is healthy.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Can anyone knowledgeable about WB give me a detailed description of Pedan's play. And does he move well enough and think the game well enough to play at the NHL level in a pinch?, thanks.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
Can anyone knowledgeable about WB give me a detailed description of Pedan's play. And does he move well enough and think the game well enough to play at the NHL level in a pinch?, thanks.
Big, strong physical defenseman that can really skate. Likes to throw his weight around. Can drop the gloves and is actually really good at it. He can chip in offensively when needed and is actually pretty steady with the puck. Usually gets the puck safely out of his own end. Got a decent shot too.

He takes a lot of penalties though.

Overall, I think he's good enough to be our #6 right away.

Last edited:

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Big, strong physical defenseman that can really skate. Likes to throw his weight around. Can drop the gloves and is actually really good at it. He can chip in offensively when needed and is actually pretty steady with the puck. Usually gets the puck safely out of his own end. Got a decent shot too.

Thanks man appreciate it.

Reactions: FreeBobbyFarnham

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh

Is he injured at this point? Can't remember..

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China

You describe a player one would like to see in the lineup. A player one would feel happy to have flipped Puuuuh for.
A lot of humanity if he played with Oleksiak but maybe also a somewhat dodgy hockey IQ quotient.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Looks like Bleuger had a nice game.
Wonder how Jooris looked?

See Sprong only had 1 SOG.
No one was a minus.

Looks like they're playing him at C:

Expected #WBSPens Lines
Di Pauli-Dea-Thomas
Wilson-Quinney-Kostopoulos
Sestito-Jooris-Cramarossa
Johnson-Blueger-Sprong

Last edited:

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Looks like Bleuger had a nice game.
Wonder how Jooris looked?

See Sprong only had 1 SOG.
No one was a minus.

Looks like they're playing him at C:

Only one shot so he can get called up again..trying to become the next kuhn and rowney and get on Sullivans good side. Continuing to dominate offensively and take 7+ shots a game is a bit arrogant.

Great strategy by Sprong..not worried about his hockey IQ going forward.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I love our Penguins organization... Let's put our best wing prospect, who's also among the leading scorers in the AHL, on the 4th line.

Torts was right, arrogant organization. But they win, they won back to back and now double down on their arrogance.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
I love our Penguins organization... Let's put our best wing prospect, who's also among the leading scorers in the AHL, on the 4th line.

Torts was right, arrogant organization. But they win, they won back to back and now double down on their arrogance.

Let's try another perspective shall we?
Sprong is surely a terror on the powerplay, but 5 on 5 he still has a long way to go with his compete level and defense. And he has been a minus player there for a while now, recently going -9 over a 4 game stretch. And he just started scoring again after a lengthy slump.

The Pens strengths and weeknesses on the other hand do not match up with our #11 right now. He's not replacing Geno, Sid, Kessel, or Horny on the PP - poor fit. The Pens biggest problem is defense, and we are already carrying too many weak defenders right now like Shearry & Guentzel - poor fit.

Finally when they are "Cup Winning Good" the Pens are an extremely high compete level team. Once again - poor fit.

Now where the Good fit happens, is that WBS has clearly demonstrated the ability to develop kids like Sprong into complete Cup Winning players. That is the plan, and outside of serious injury troubles don't expect to see much of Sprong till next season.

Last edited:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Here, is this better?

Expected #WBSPens Lines
Johnson-Blueger-Sprong
Di Pauli-Dea-Thomas
Wilson-Quinney-Kostopoulos
Sestito-Jooris-Cramarossa

If you actually look at those lines, you'll notice there's no real 1st or 4th line. The baby Pens, when they can, roll 4 lines that are relatively evenly stacked. A lot of AHL teams do. It's not only ideal for development purposes but also advantageous considering the AHL scheduling. Seriously ask yourself why Blueger, their 2nd most productive C after Dea, would be centering the 4th line, with their best offensive threat on one wing and a .5 PPG rookie on the other wing. It's not the 4th line.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
Yes, thank you.

this is even better though
Jake - Sid - Sprong
same
same
Sheary- Sheahan - Simon

Mars- Kuhn & Rowney

Sprong already got his tryout with Sid, and it didn't work out. And lets be real here, Crosby is our shutdown C that gets matched up against the other teams best offensive players. Doesn't seem like the best environment for a kid who's got work to do on effort level & defense.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Sprong already got his tryout with Sid, and it didn't work out. And lets be real here, Crosby is our shutdown C that gets matched up against the other teams best offensive players. Doesn't seem like the best environment for a kid who's got work to do on effort level & defense.

Didn't it? Looked better to me in 8 games than Sheary looked there all season.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Already better than the #37 up in Pittsburgh.

And probably better than #34.
I know we have to be careful with callups now but i'd really like to give Jooris a spin at some point.
He has speeeeeed.
He'd look good beside Sheahan and on the PK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad