Way too early 2023 redraft (picks 4-13)

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
It's weird to me how many people look past Benson.

Everybody gives Carlsson and Fantilli a pass as 2/3, then sandwiches in all their favourites before they get to Benson. But how much better were those guys last year than Benson?

Does anyone seriously think Perreault's 60 points in the NCAA last year is more impressive than Benson's 30 in the NHL?

The knock on Benson pre-draft was his size. Well guess what, he's as small as he will ever be and he is already in the NHL. I guess size isn't really an issue.

One-year later redrafts are always difficult because everybody improves, and people tend to get excited about their guy's improvement and look past everyone else's.

Objectively, 4 guys made the NHL last year and Benson was one of them. That, in and of itself should not be overlooked.

Look at his peers:
I had Perreault above Benson in my 23' rankings and I think he widened that gap. So yes, Perreault > Benson

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
1. Bedard
2. Michkov
3. Fantilli
4. Carlsson
5. Smith
6. Leonard
7. Perreault
8. Simashev
9. Benson
10. But
11. ASP
12. Bonk
13. Musty
14. Willander
15. Danielson
16. Brindley
17. Reinbacher
18. Dvorsky
19. Honzek.
20. Yager

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago

1715994779839.jpeg

With Portland eliminated acc to exit interviews, Nate is heading to join the Grand Rapids Griffins, Detroit's AHL affiliate to join them in playoffs. He could be a key addition for GR in their quest to win the Calder Cup.

Last edited:

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
Aside from ASP and Danielson another 2023 Detroit draftee that is making waves right now is goalie Trey Augustine (drafted 41st overall) who after having a sterling season for MSU in the NCAA was named 3rd goalie for the pro laden US team in the 2024 World Championships outplaying both NHL players(Nedelkjovic and Lyon) he replaced with a 1.67 GAA and .905 save percentage(19/21) in 2 games.

Augustine became the 20th teenager since 1930 to play goal in the World Championships. Names on that list include Andrei Vasilevskiy, Mike Richter, Vladislav Tretiak, the late Pelle Lindbergh and former Red Wings standout Dominik Hasek. He is the youngest goalie ever to play in the net for the Americans at the World Championships.

“Obviously Trey is getting an opportunity here because of the circumstances (Lyon got injured) and he has made the most of it,” said U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame goalie John Vanbiesbrouck, who is also USA Hockey’s Assistant Executive Director of Hockey operations.

“We knew coming in that (Augustine) was extremely poised,” Vanbiesbrouck said. “That puts him at the top of his age group, and he’s probably beyond his years. We knew his capability to stick with it when the chips are down…He is one of the best I’ve seen at being able to come off the bench. He did that a lot with the (U.S.) NTDP.”

I see that nobody is listing #41 draft pick Trey Augustine in their top 20 redraft rankings despite having an excellent season in the NCAA.

After 2 stellar performances as a sub replacing 2 established NHL goalies the US coaching staff named Trey the starter in the World Championships against Poland where he made 20 saves in a 4-1 win. He has replaced Lyon at #2 after the latter got injured.

Augustine ranks third in goals-against average (1.37) and fourth in save percentage (.929) among all goalies in the World Hockey Championshps this year. He has stopped 39-of-42 shots in three games.

Last edited:

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017

View attachment 872606

With Portland eliminated acc to exit interviews, Nate is heading to join the Grand Rapids Griffins, Detroit's AHL affiliate to join them in playoffs. He could be a key addition for GR in their quest to win the Calder Cup.
LOL is this really saying that Nate Danielson is the only Western Conference player in the WHL to score 20 points in the playoffs? What an oddly specific fact...except it's not even true.

Ty Rattie played for the Winterhawks when he hit 22, 33, and 36 points in the playoffs. Bartschi did it when he hit 27 and 34 points for the Winterhawks. There's also Rasmussen, Bjorkstrand, Lepsic, Benn, Firkus (who is also doing it this year), Pouliot, Stankoven, Kolesar, Mateychuk (again this year) and many, many more, especially if you count those not in the modern era.

The last person to do it in their draft year was Bowen Byram, who played for Vancouver and did it in 2018. Korchinski had 19 in 25 in 2021 though!

I greatly respect Danielson and I'm glad he's shutting up the haters and proving he can be high scoring, and his point total this year is solid, but by no means is it elite or the only one who has done it.

Reactions: Chainshot

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
LOL is this really saying that Nate Danielson is the only Western Conference player in the WHL to score 20 points in the playoffs? What an oddly specific fact...except it's not even true.

Ty Rattie played for the Winterhawks when he hit 22, 33, and 36 points in the playoffs. Bartschi did it when he hit 27 and 34 points for the Winterhawks. There's also Rasmussen, Bjorkstrand, Lepsic, Benn, Firkus (who is also doing it this year), Pouliot, Stankoven, Kolesar, Mateychuk (again this year) and many, many more, especially if you count those not in the modern era.

The last person to do it in their draft year was Bowen Byram, who played for Vancouver and did it in 2018. Korchinski had 19 in 25 in 2021 though!

I greatly respect Danielson and I'm glad he's shutting up the haters and proving he can be high scoring, and his point total this year is solid, but by no means is it elite or the only one who has done it.

You should finish the sentence. It's just about this year.

Only this year, only the western conference of the WHL, not a real noteworthy fact is it?

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
At the risk of being semantic, believe you mean pedantic ;)
Yeah, I'm not sure either word is actually appropriate here. This is a rather straight forward question. No need to descend in linguistic or minute details.

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
Wonder if he actually will be playing.
Yeah junior players don't normally play their first official pro game in the middle of the playoffs but Danielson has such a well rounded game particularly on the defensive end that the Grand Rapids coaches who were in Redwings preseason training camp and familiar with his game might be confident enough in playing him. He was the last cut in Redwings training camp.

“He did not (look out of place),” Detroit coach Derek Lalonde said of Danielson’s first NHL training camp last fall. ” I love the fact that even as young as he is, he came in with a ‘I want to make the team’ mentality, which is exciting for me.

“My message was want to get back here as quick as you can.”

Danielson, 19, made a strong impression at Red Wings training camp and the preseason (two goals, four points in five games) with his poise and skills. He might compete for an NHL roster spot next season.

Last edited:
Reactions: De Montreal

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Im a bit surprised to see Bonk this high in some rankings. Is his profession that good?
He is London's best d-man and a huge reason why they are a wagon this year. He's playing better than Dickinson is, rarely makes any mistakes, has shown that his offense is projectable, and has improved a bunch in various areas. He's also been getting like 30m of ice time a game and not been looking bad.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I was confused by this thread at first because the top 14 people projected didn't make sense to where these players are in their development stages today. Then I realized this is an old/outdated thread and the cream has since risen while others have fallen.

Reactions: cjeagle

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
Wonder if he actually will be playing.

Danielson is set to join the Griffins as they continue their march through the Calder Cup Playoffs, where they hold a 1-0 series lead in their best-of-five Central Division Finals series against the Milwaukee Admirals.

Game two of that series will be Monday night in Milwaukee, and per GR coach Dan Watson, it could become Danielson's professional debut, saying,“He’s an option [for Game 2]. Obviously, he finished the other night, traveled back and now he’s going to travel here. We’ll talk to him, see how he’s feeling…See if he can be up to speed with us, but he’s certainly a good option for us for the lineup.”

Watson added of Danielson, “I got to see him through Red Wings Training Camp. Smart player. He thinks the game extremely well. He’s a smooth skater. He does have good skill.”

Last edited:

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
I had Perreault above Benson in my 23' rankings and I think he widened that gap. So yes, Perreault > Benson
Not to discredit anythjng you are saying, just wanted to point out that this year as an 18 year old Benson was an above average top 9 forward by every measure.

Positive corsi
Positive fenwick
Scored 2 less ES points than Perron, and 5 less than Knies with less overall toi
+11 giveaway takeaway ratio
12 points in his final 17 games when his ice tjme started to climb
PDO was low, if he evens out his year would have been even better

An even PDO and decent PP time would have him at 45-50 points as a rookie on the 22nd scoring team in the NHL

I think he has top line wing all over him, and that’s hard to put below top 6 in a redraft

Reactions: willsy

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Huh not a single Cowan mention since March. That's surprising

Meanwhile, he won league MVP over 3 guys mentioned in here. Notably, a marginally worse points-per game average than one guy talked about a lot in here during the regular season but significantly better in the playoffs while being 10x the player on the defensive end. ;)

That said, I do think it’s too early to say he should be ranked this high. We’ll see what happens next season.

Reactions: TMLife17
Aug 25, 2009
éal
These are fun and all, but really too early.
ie

Some people had Slafkovsky out of the top 10 (one even out of the 2nd round) in a similar exercice just last year. Now he might be back at first.

And lot of people had Lafreniere drop to ~20, I think there’s an argument he is back at first.

Some people factor initial expectations too much. It’s not because a player disappoint relative to expectations he have to be lower to one who surpasses the expectations.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
ie

Some people had Slafkovsky out of the top 10 (one even out of the 2nd round) in a similar exercice just last year. Now he might be back at first.

And lot of people had Lafreniere drop to ~20, I think there’s an argument he is back at first.

Some people factor initial expectations too much. It’s not because a player disappoint relative to expectations he have to be lower to one who surpasses the expectations.
I really dont see how you could argue hes back at first. Stutzle, Raymond and plenty of others are still showing way more.

Reactions: majormajor
Aug 25, 2009
éal
I really dont see how you could argue hes back at first. Stutzle, Raymond and plenty of others are still showing way more.
I think there’s an argument because Lafreniere proved he could be a great player in games that matter.

That being said I’d still rank Stutzle first

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad