Watching the Rangers outside NY?

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
If MLBAM/the NHL was smart, they'd offer NHL Network as an add-on to NHL.tv that you could pay a little extra for.

I am sure every player is guarding their ground with a-la-carte. Everyone wants to be on the base tier.

To that end, I WISH the FCC would allow cable companies to unbundle local channels (CBS, Fox, NBC, CW, etc.) from the rest of cable television. I am most sure that the broadcasters would be up-in-arms over the loss of all those re-transmission fees...

If you are out-of-market, are paying for internet anyway, you can get every Rangers game if you can make use of an antenna (for NBC), Sling Blue (for NBCSN), the Sports add-on (for NHL Netowrk), and NHL.tv.

JaeTM

Dec 3, 2009
Long Island
Have your folks rent you a STB from Cablevision and get yourself a SlingBox. The Slingbox will stream the content from your "rented" cable box up here to your home in FLA... It's a place-shifter.

Apologies for my ignorance, but what is an STB?

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
A little more complicated that that.

The Sabres used to be on something called Empire and it was pretty much local to Buffalo and Rochester. Empire was controlled by Adelphia Cable. Sabres were owned by John Rigas, who owned Adelphia. Somehow, the Knicks were picked up on Empire, even though Buffalo should have been Cleveland territory. Anyway, when Rigas was indicted, Adelphia's assets were up for bid, and MSG got Empire (because the Knicks were already there).

When that happened, Bettman and the NHL thought it would be a great idea to expand the Sabres territory, making almost all of upstate New York Sabres territory. Upstate Ranger fans got screwed. Because of the priority rules, cable companies, unless they have the channel bandwidth, have to show the Sabres over the Rangers.

Thanks for clarifying.

trench23

Aug 2, 2005
Hey all- wanted to dig this thread up again. Looking to drop my Verizon bundle and legally watch games. Now that the season has progressed, is there anyone that has used DirectNow or Fubo apps to watch games? were you able to? Any negative to the services?
Thanks in advance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad