GDT: Washinton Capitaurus @ Calgary Flamatadors - 2:00PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
Brodie had a great game to hopefully silence people, Mike Smith stopped what he could, and the Flames overall looked like an NHL team that can hang with the big dogs. I look forward to the next game.

The 2nd goal was terrible rebound control by Smith. That's a puck you have to smother.

Funny how this was a good game for Smith, yet he still had a sub .900 save percentage

EDIT: Also, Brodie got absolutely BURIED at 5v5. By no means did he have a great game. Just didn't make any stupid decisions with the puck, which in itself is an improvement.

Last edited:

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Do we have any goalies in the system that are good at shootouts? They should be riding shotgun to Smith in these situations so they can go in and steal games. Seems just as valuable as anything else when we are talking points.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Do we have any goalies in the system that are good at shootouts? They should be riding shotgun to Smith in these situations so they can go in and steal games. Seems just as valuable as anything else when we are talking points.

Parsons did win a pretty important shootout once :P

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
The 2nd goal was terrible rebound control by Smith. That's a puck you have to smother.

Funny how this was a good game for Smith, yet he still had a sub .900 save percentage
Absolutely. Two goals on him and a stinker in the shootout.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Well, that was a better showing than last time I guess. Still not particularly good though. I wouldn't take this one as evidence that we can hang with Cup contenders as the Caps just looked hungover (and I mean actually hungover, not Cup hungover).
Bennett has a lot of energy and heart but I don't see a top 6 player in him.
Backlund should take a seat against TOR, whether he's injured or not, he's just playing bad hockey now.
Johnny is still our only forward who is capable of creating anything offensively.
Of the public enemies, I thought Brodie was good tonight. Neal was decent. Smith... whatever, this one wasn't on him.
Overall I was not entertained and in the end I was disappointed. Classic Flames hockey.

Reactions: Dack and Nanuuk

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
Just for your visualisation. Is this even normal? (goals conceded)

??

3,5 goals on ave per game...

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
Well, that was a better showing than last time I guess. Still not particularly good though. I wouldn't take this one as evidence that we can hang with Cup contenders as the Caps just looked hungover (and I mean actually hungover, not Cup hungover).
Bennett has a lot of energy and heart but I don't see a top 6 player in him.
Backlund should take a seat against TOR, whether he's injured or not, he's just playing bad hockey now.
Johnny is still our only forward who is capable of creating anything offensively.
Of the public enemies, I thought Brodie was good tonight. Neal was decent. Smith... whatever, this one wasn't on him.
Overall I was not entertained and in the end I was disappointed. Classic Flames hockey.
Neal was decent at what exactly?
Smith was at fault on 2 goals.

Would agree with the rest though. Liked Brodie and Hamonic..and Andersson.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
EDIT: Also, Brodie got absolutely BURIED at 5v5. By no means did he have a great game. Just didn't make any stupid decisions with the puck, which in itself is an improvement.
He was better than Gio at 5v5? How did he get “BURIED”? The advanced stats aren’t great, but they played against the caps top line and came out alright. It also doesn’t help when Monahan and Johnny aren’t creating as many chances as they should.

Reactions: Nanuuk

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Hanifin seems to do a lot better with Hamonic as his partner. Has been a positive CFRelative in both games he's played with him, and was a 60% tonight.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

It's depressing when the best you can say about your number 1 goalie is, this one wasnt on him.....

:(:(:(

Smith for sure didnt win it for them and he could have if he was decent, and he was a big joke in SO. He LOST that SO

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
It's depressing when the best you can say about your number 1 goalie is, this one wasnt on him.....

:(:(:(

Overreaction much?

Goalies have many ebbs and flows throughout the season. Teams with new coaches almost always hang them out to dry, too.

Smith hasn't been bad this year, I don't care what the numbers say. No, he hasn't been good yet either, but we're a game under .500 with 71 more to play, I think we can clean things up and go on a run. I'll be disappointed if we're not ~17-12-3 by the 35 game mark and Smith starts to have a strong of solid games.

Someone here got into it with me after Smith's shutout in Nashville for not giving him enough credit. I'm no Smith apologist. But he is not costing us wins, he Flames didn't deserve to outright win @Van, @STL, vsNSH, vsPIT, or tonight. When Smith warms up he will steal us some games, too. It's a long season.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Ah like Francis many don't care what Brodie does... It is all about them perceiving themselves to be right. That first goal and despite the obviousness of Gio's and Chucky's errors there were still those insisting it was Brodies fault.

The team as a whole played a good game. Calgary was dominant and without 2 tiny errors the Flames would have coasted to the win. Big turn around from Thursday.

I don't think Gio deserves any blame. Backlund and Tkachuk has a mix up and neither got the puck out in a situation they needed to. Gio did overskate the loose puck in the slot on the second goal, but nothing major.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Overreaction much?

Goalies have many ebbs and flows throughout the season. Teams with new coaches almost always hang them out to dry, too.

Smith hasn't been bad this year, I don't care what the numbers say. No, he hasn't been good yet either, but we're a game under .500 with 71 more to play, I think we can clean things up and go on a run. I'll be disappointed if we're not ~17-12-3 by the 35 game mark and Smith starts to have a strong of solid games.

Someone here got into it with me after Smith's shutout in Nashville for not giving him enough credit. I'm no Smith apologist. But he is not costing us wins, he Flames didn't deserve to outright win @Van, @STL, vsNSH, vsPIT, or tonight. When Smith warms up he will steal us some games, too. It's a long season.

Better yet, we're still actually at .500 in the only sense that matters.

Reactions: Janks

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Overreaction much?

Yes, a little overreaction but if you are not seeing that Smith has been mostly bad since coming back from his injury last year then you must be wearing that same glass that you saw Kulak as a top 4 dman.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Yes, a little overreaction but if you are not seeing that Smith has been mostly bad since coming back from his injury last year then you must be wearing that same glass that you saw Kulak as a top 4 dman.

Smith has yet to play his best hockey this year. Today he was much better than I have seen him all season. He wasn't over-reacting and was calm throughout the game. There was maybe one goal he could have had. That said it isn't time to panic yet.

I don't think Gio deserves any blame. Backlund and Tkachuk has a mix up and neither got the puck out in a situation they needed to. Gio did overskate the loose puck in the slot on the second goal, but nothing major.

My message was that mistakes and gaffs are going to happen to the best of them. The underlying numbers for Brodie are good and much of the BS going on about him is just people on a mission to find someone to blame. Message to everyone it is the entire team that needs to clean up.

I think the main message has to be have patience and wait for this team to mature a little and learn what there game is. The Penguins game was a great learning lesson and likely showed the players that when they don't play the to the game-plan crap is going to fall apart. WHen they do play their game today has proven they can compete with any team in the NHL. As the chemistry builds this club is only going to get more lethal.

I look at what is happening in Calgary today and I see similar threads to the 2015 Penguins when Mike Sullivan was brought in to right the ship. It took the Penguins 15-20 games to get into form but then they went on to win the cup.

Gully was just fired. The Flames brought in 7 substantial pieces to fit into their line-up and it is going to take a little time for the team to gel and play they way they were designed. I am more optimistic today than I was in August when I declared the Flames Cup contenders. The team to this point still has potential oozing all around it and before this is even close to being polished it took the Stanley Cup champs to a Shoot-out, and western conference finalists in Nashville to an impressive win and a close loss. Calgary is also one of the few teams to contain the Av's first line. This team is going to be very good this year. Wait for it....

Reactions: Janks

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Neal should have wired top shelf in the shoot out. Instead he tried to be cute

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Smith has yet to play his best hockey this year. Today he was much better than I have seen him all season. He wasn't over-reacting and was calm throughout the game. There was maybe one goal he could have had. That said it isn't time to panic yet.

My message was that mistakes and gaffs are going to happen to the best of them. The underlying numbers for Brodie are good and much of the BS going on about him is just people on a mission to find someone to blame. Message to everyone it is the entire team that needs to clean up.

You are right, Smith has not played his best. When is it going to come? Are we supposed to wait forever? Dude is trying to be cute with fancy stickhandling, instead of focusing on real goaltending like rebound control, net positioning..etc. His 37 yrs old reflex is almost gone, make some adjustment or retire.

Brodie gets blame because not just a few mistakes this year but the ghost of the last two years and his brain farts are still not going away.

Last edited:

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Neal should have wired top shelf in the shoot out. Instead he tried to be cute

He is struggling. I see some effort but things are not going his way. It's a toss up if he will come out of it or if we have another Brouwer on our hands

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
It's really hard to complain with that loss, and shootouts are shootouts, I personally hate them, but whatever. If the team plays more games like this one, we'll start to see more wins for sure. One thing I'd like to see is brodie on a consistent side of the ice, you can't expect the guy to just change over every other game. Dmen are not like wingers, it's hard to succeed when put in that position.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
It's really hard to complain with that loss, and shootouts are shootouts, I personally hate them, but whatever. If the team plays more games like this one, we'll start to see more wins for sure. One thing I'd like to see is brodie on a consistent side of the ice, you can't expect the guy to just change over every other game. Dmen are not like wingers, it's hard to succeed when put in that position.

Honestly. I think you should roll Brodie back.
Like, make him the 5/6D you give favourable match-ups to for a little bit. Then go from there if he improves. It's just not working having him do the heavy lifting.

That's on you're okay to lose. The compete level was better than Montreal/NYR and of course Pittsburgh.

If this team plays like they did against Washington, they'll win more often than they lose. What they really need is a decent stretch of good goaltending. It'd help if the goalie could just not lose us games. I've been beating this drum for the past 4 years it seems... we literally just need a goalie to not lose us games, but it seems to happen often.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Honestly. I think you should roll Brodie back.
Like, make him the 5/6D you give favourable match-ups to for a little bit. Then go from there if he improves. It's just not working having him do the heavy lifting.

That's on you're okay to lose. The compete level was better than Montreal/NYR and of course Pittsburgh.

If this team plays like they did against Washington, they'll win more often than they lose. What they really need is a decent stretch of good goaltending. It'd help if the goalie could just not lose us games. I've been beating this drum for the past 4 years it seems... we literally just need a goalie to not lose us games, but it seems to happen often.

Smith isn't a good shootout goalie at all, but he certainly played well enough to win us that game. Meh, it's early. I have far more hope this year at this time than I did last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad