GDT: Washington vs Sammy’s Revenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
I’m looking for Ovi to shoot the puck so hard at Sammy that it bursts through him - ya know, in the spirit of Halloween season, like Ovi is the hero fighting Jason Vorhees.

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
I want to overreact to last night but I am hoping it is just a one time thing. Here are some things we need to see tonight:

Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Brown to be more impactful. Kuzy was 50/50, Ovi was fine, Brown was nowhere to be seen. Step it up tonight. Ovi plays well in Toronto, Browns former team, should be amped up.

Swap McMichael for Protas. McMichael-Strom-Mantha actually has some bite.

Lars Eller should have a short leash - the tiger looked like a hungry kitten

Fehervary - Carlson might be the Caps worst D pairing overall as of right now. Lets see them not get burnt tonight.

Throw Kuemper back in. I don't hate any of the goals he let in, and multiple times last night I saw saves that the previous goalie crew would have let in.

Carlson PP has to be better - I saw a half dozen bad passes to Ovi which cannot happen. He put them too far behind and too far forward.

Be better Caps please. We all want to believe in this team

Reactions: Neil Racki

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
I want to overreact to last night but I am hoping it is just a one time thing. Here are some things we need to see tonight:

Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Brown to be more impactful. Kuzy was 50/50, Ovi was fine, Brown was nowhere to be seen. Step it up tonight. Ovi plays well in Toronto, Browns former team, should be amped up.

Fehervary - Carlson might be the Caps worst D pairing overall as of right now. Lets see them not get burnt tonight.

Throw Kuemper back in. I don't hate any of the goals he let in, and multiple times last night I saw saves that the previous goalie crew would have let in.

Carlson PP has to be better - I saw a half dozen bad passes to Ovi which cannot happen. He put them too far behind and too far forward.

That Pasta goal was kind of unacceptable though. He didn't seem like he was ready for it at all.

ScruggsCO

Jul 13, 2022

To be fair, Brown had multiple shots on net and a few good chances that just didn't go (granted, he whiffed on a few 😀) Not invisible, just not effective.

The issue with that top line seemed to be communication and possession. Those guys (specifically the center) need to be committed to their cycle if the rush doesn't generate

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
That Pasta goal was kind of unacceptable though. He didn't seem like he was ready for it at all.
I'll agree that one was the weakest. I am still high on DK that I am going to give the benefit of the doubt that it was just a bang bag play that beat him. Pasta is so good. If it was a 3rd/4th liner I would agree its bad but Pasta is different. But I still think DK was solid

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles

No need to push Kuemper this early in the season(he has a bit of an injury history). My feeling is Chucky Sideburns will be in net tonight.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I'll agree that one was the weakest. I am still high on DK that I am going to give the benefit of the doubt that it was just a bang bag play that beat him. Pasta is so good. If it was a 3rd/4th liner I would agree its bad but Pasta is different. But I still think DK was solid
Kuemper was partially screened on that Pasta shot. For one, when a shooter does a spin-o-rama shot, it's harder for any goalie to pick up on the release point of the shot. 2nd, there were 3 Caps players converging on Pasta, so that hindered Kuemper's vision as well. As an analyst pointed out, Pasta shouldn't have been allowed to gain the middle of the ice coming from the boards. One of the Caps players should gone down to block the shot(it also would allow Kuemper to better play the Pasta shot), that Pasta's shot might have not got through. There were too many wrongs going on before you could even point the finger at Kuemper.

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
From Vogel. Lindgren starting.

Forwards
8-Ovechkin, 92-Kuznetsov, 28-Brown
59-Protas, 17-Strome, 39-Mantha
90-Johansson, 20-Eller, 77-Oshie
73-Sheary, 26-Dowd, 21-Hathaway

Defensemen
42-Fehervary, 74-Carlson
9-Orlov, 3-Jensen
56-Gustafsson, 57-van Riemsdyk

Goaltenders
79-Lindgren
35-Kuemper

Healthy Extras
24-McMichael
52-Irwin
91-Snively

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
Really? With this older oft injured roster, weaker farm system that cant really pug pot holes w call ups and the unproven inconsistent tandem of VV/sammy past 2 years ... I think Lavi has done as expected, maybe better than he should honestly.

The roster has a ceiling of 1st round exit imo.

No coach is going to make this team a cup contender.
If our ceiling is a first round exit, then whats the point of keeping a veteran head coach who favors vets who dont bring that much to the table now or will in the future over young guys who could? I’m not advocating for firing him right now, but the talks of extension worry as its not like this team is going to be able to magically become cup contenders after an offseason

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Hmmm should I watch the Capitals, who recently won a Stanley Cup and have made the playoffs pretty much every year since 2008? Or should I watch the Commanders, the laughing stock of the NFL?

I think the choice is clear: neither.

• Haha
Reactions: swansonsays

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
If our ceiling is a first round exit, then whats the point of keeping a veteran head coach who favors vets who dont bring that much to the table now or will in the future over young guys who could? I’m not advocating for firing him right now, but the talks of extension worry as its not like this team is going to be able to magically become cup contenders after an offseason

All about getting 8 to 895.

Does anyone hear think reasonable expectation is better than a first round exit for this team?

The team is still fun to watch, should win more than they lose.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I don't think Al Koken or Alan May read the HF mainboards when it comes to everyone cheering for Ovy to break Gretzky's record, lol.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Both sportsnet and the Leafs announcer pronouncing Somonov differently than the Caps did. "Sam-sun-ov"

Leafs jersey sponsor is Milk? MILK? :biglaugh:

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
All about getting 8 to 895.

Does anyone hear think reasonable expectation is better than a first round exit for this team?

The team is still fun to watch, should win more than they lose.
I believe they can win the cup again or make the finals if they focus and do good things. It's tough to win a SC and only a couple of teams are really scary (Colorado, Tampa Bay, and NYR if their goalie repeats last year). Now if you ask me is this team almost done with competing and going to rebuild, sure. A lot of teams in that situation too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad