Post-Game Talk: Washington Stanley Cup Champitals @ Yotes 9PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
generally i do like the way the team is playing. We are definitely not peaking too early but getting points on a regular basis, Ovi hunting for a routine Rocket, Vrana shining, even Burt scoring... Boyd and Bowey getting confidence. What else do you need in early December? To burn villages like Atlantic teams and then to die in spring? This team grows wiser, they know exactly when the time has come to make a push.
I want to see Carlson win the Norris and was pissed they gave his secondary assist on the 1st goal to Copley.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I think we as fans consistently forget to remember that NHL teams are wildly inconsistent. Drilling down, many players are as well. Teams come out flat in big games. Fairly consistently. Usually, us. From period to period, we see wild swings. A good game plan can shut down an offense while we scream inconsistency and ignore that the other team gets paid, too.

We hear players rationalize a good period as.... we found our legs. That is code for the hangover wore off, finally. Or, we scored some goals. It's a struggle out there.

I think injuries are a bigger factor than we know, in what we see as inconsistency. The league is VERY secretive about injuries and its for a reason. Guys are often injured and they don't want you to know any details at all. A guy that is playing injured, is doing so because the team needs him out there. But they dial back their play presumed on the coaches orders, while our heads explode.

Oshie last year was a hot mess for a lot of games. And then played great. We are basically on the PK on shifts with an injured player, playing through it. That has a hand in in in um inconsistency.

Last edited:

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
I want to see Carlson win the Norris and was pissed they gave his secondary assist on the 1st goal to Copley.
I wanted to see Langway win the Norris for the two years before he collected his first. That guy deserved total of four, not two.

And Mike Green damn well ought to have one, too.

Seems like Norris vote in particular winds up rewarding guys for reputation and past service, instead of just voting on who was actual best defender for the season at hand.

Once Carlson’s game starts to drop off in a couple years, that’s when he’ll get his.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Caps are 8-2 in their last ten. They still suck. ;)

All those "hot" starts and teams that may have "turned the corner" yet the Metro is Caps/Jackets/Pens, and just as predicted, those are the teams that will finish top three (in any order).

I wonder if Torts will tank again in the last games in order to play us, because as Seth Jones mentioned, we suck 5 v 5, lol..

Last edited:

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
I wanted to see Langway win the Norris for the two years before he collected his first. That guy deserved total of four, not two.

And Mike Green damn well ought to have one, too.

Seems like Norris vote in particular winds up rewarding guys for reputation and past service, instead of just voting on who was actual best defender for the season at hand.

Once Carlson’s game starts to drop off in a couple years, that’s when he’ll get his.
With Green during those seasons I thought he had earned one, but now with hindsight maybe he actually was merely a solid player elevated by the power play on which he played about 5:15 a game over those 2 years and voters hesitancy is prudent because it's so hard to evaluate defensive play over a single season sample size.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I feel like the Norris can be a lifetime acheivment award of sorts... in part because the D don't hit their peak until later in their careers... usually.

And a D first guy, is just not going to wow enough in any single year... if Langway didn't, no one can. Green 30 PPGs... hand him the Norris!!!1!

Reactions: StrikingDistance

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
With Green during those seasons I thought he had earned one, but now with hindsight maybe he actually was merely a solid player elevated by the power play on which he played about 5:15 a game over those 2 years and voters hesitancy is prudent because it's so hard to evaluate defensive play over a single season sample size.

His 31g 73pt season include 12g, 22a at EV.

His 19g 76pt season included 9g, 31a at EV.

He was elite offensively on the PP sure, but he still produced at even strength.

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Just watched the 3rd. Seemed like a lot of Caps fans cheering there for the ENG

Lots of Caps fans. I've gone to every Caps/Yotes game out here since 2003 and this was the most I'd seen by far. First regulation win for the Caps in Arizona since 05-06 aka "the goal" game for Ovi. Pretty remarkable considering the Caps have been very good almost every year since then and the Yotes other than a year or two have been a bottom 5 team.

The game as a whole was very entertaining. There have been many Caps/Yotes snoozers over the years but this one had great speed, plenty of scoring chances and some fine goaltending.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Kuznetsov is coming off a concussion where he missed significant games. It wasn't a little bump on the head. Remember how long it took for the real Oshie to emerge after he returned from a concussion last season. Don't expect full on Kuzy for a while yet.

You thought that it was Reirden's strategy to match a kid 3rd pair against an opposing top line? It was a road game. The dogs got the last change. They took advantage of the lack of depth.

I'm aware of Kuznetsov's situation.

There are ways to hide a 3rd D pair even on the road. You can also split them up. You can also not play them at all. One thing that you certainly don't do is put them out together with our 4th line when Coyotes 1st line has been off the ice for 2 shifts. Damn near cost us the game.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I'm aware of Kuznetsov's situation.

There are ways to hide a 3rd D pair even on the road. You can also split them up. You can also not play them at all. One thing that you certainly don't do is put them out together with our 4th line when Coyotes 1st line has been off the ice for 2 shifts. Damn near cost us the game.

Hell, I never thought of any of that. I bet Reirden hadn't either.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Hi Maaco

The team is in first in the Metro. They just won the Cup. 8-2 in their last 10 games.

However, based on your assessment, much of the team is playing poorly (or your new word....inconsistent), yet here they are. How can they all be playing this way (most of the defense, as you rail on Niskanen, Orlov, Djoos...and to a lesser extent, Kempny). The forwards you think are poor (Eller, Stephenson, DSP, Dowd) make up most of the bottom 6. Kuznetsov, Oshie, and Wilson have all missed a lot of time, so they arent winning due to them recently.

It must be goaltending? Your favourite son, Holtby? Nope, cant be that...he's having his worst statistical year....ever?

It must be coaching then? Nope...cant be that, as Trotz is coaching the Isles to an amazing start. Reirden is a boob, from what I've seen you say.

So.....this team must be in bottom tier of the division and conference. BUT, they arent. So.....what gives? All these poor players and coaches and yet #1 in Metro.

Maybe it's your assessments of the team and these players that is.... "inconsistent"?
Hi Ridley. I never said that we have a lot of players playing poorly. I only named a few and its true. Those guys are playing poorly. Not sure why you are so excited because we are in first place in the weakest division in the league. With our talent we should be crushing the rest of the Metro division. 1 point ahead of Columbus and they dont have near the talent we have.
You are not going to make me change my mind. We have 3 or 4 guys on this team underachieving and quite often have been a liability. That is a fact not fiction.

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
Hi Ridley. I never said that we have a lot of players playing poorly. I only named a few and its true. Those guys are playing poorly. Not sure why you are so excited because we are in first place in the weakest division in the league. With our talent we should be crushing the rest of the Metro division. 1 point ahead of Columbus and they dont have near the talent we have.
You are not going to make me change my mind. We have 3 or 4 guys on this team underachieving and quite often have been a liability. That is a fact not fiction.
Caps have the 8th best record in the league by points and point %, 7th in goal differential, have played a relatively difficult schedule, and have been missing 1-2 of their top 5 forwards every game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad