Confirmed with Link: Washington signs Conor Sheary to 1 year 735k deal

Capagonia

Oct 20, 2009
VA
I don’t get the Sprong hype... he couldn’t make it in Pittsburgh or Anaheim or even a Caps playoff game, but now he’s gonna leapfrog Panik and Hagelin?

People like him because he can actually score unlike Panik and Hagelin. And costs a lot less. He also couldn’t get into a Caps playoff game because Reirden couldn’t get out of his own way after his team couldn’t score the whole series. I know it’s been discussed but Caps couldn’t buy a goal and his lineup change is Brian Phino....GTFO.

Last edited:
Reactions: AussieCapsFan

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
People like him because he can actually score unlike Panik and Hagelin. And costs a lot less. He also couldn’t get into a Caps playoff game because Reirden couldn’t get out of his own way after his team couldn’t score the whole series. I know it’s been discussed but Caps couldn’t buy a goal and his lineup change is Brian Phino....GTFO.

Well...Hockey is more than scoring goals. Sprong can score? Where?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I don’t get the Sprong hype... he couldn’t make it in Pittsburgh or Anaheim or even a Caps playoff game, but now he’s gonna leapfrog Panik and Hagelin?

Its just a shot at another Brett Connolly story. Thats all. The Caps have left 3RW for Panik and Sprong and Sheary to battle over.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I think all 4 winger spots on the 3rd and 4th lines should be open competition this training camp. We got a lot of bodies now, let the chips fall where they may. Let the best men win. New coach, new era, why not.

Reactions: max21 and um

Capagonia

Oct 20, 2009
VA
Well...Hockey is more than scoring goals. Sprong can score? Where?

you can’t win unless you score goals.

Sprong scored 30 goals 3x in junior and 1x in the AHL. Plus 14 goals in 47 games with Anaheim in 18-19. That’s really been his only other opportunity to prove himself at the NHL level outside of 18 games with Pittsburgh in 15-16. His 19 goals in 97 career games is about 16goals/82gms. He’s still only 23 years old, which is younger than Connolly was when he got to DC.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014

Sprong scored 30 goals 3x in junior and 1x in the AHL. Plus 14 goals in 47 games with Anaheim in 18-19. That’s really been his only other opportunity to prove himself at the NHL level outside of 18 games with Pittsburgh in 15-16. His 19 goals in 97 career games is about 16goals/82gms. He’s still only 23 years old, which is younger than Connolly was when he got to DC.

By what, like 4 months?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Why do you suppose that after scoring like an allstar for half a season, he cant get a job in the NHL? Its true. You need goals to win games. The Caps arent a low scoring team. Keeping the puck out of the net is sometimes a challenge. If Sprong can score regular enough there is a spot on the 3rd line. He has to win it

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
He used to have a lot of hype around him and he has good tools: the high level skating and lethal shot. Plus he's already been able to produce offensively. The giant question mark with him is the defense and overall 200 foot game. I do believe he was genuinely working on developing those aspects of his game for the first time last season and he understands the urgency of the moment and that he needs to play a complete game to make it in the NHL. With that being said, I still view him as a work in progress who will need to improve over the course of the season and will have to take advantage of his opportunities once injuries hit. The fact that there are zero preseason games is not going to help him find his way in a new system to start the season either, so some amount of patience is warranted here. He is basically the Caps new reclamation project; like Connolly once was.
I agree with most of this.

save the “new system” comment. It’s not more of a new system for Sprong than it will be for everyone else too.

unless Lavy keeps some of the old Reirden in place. Which I doubt.

Sprong will be on equal footing w all of the guys, in this regard. Won’t he??

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Its just a shot at another Brett Connolly story. Thats all. The Caps have left 3RW for Panik and Sprong and Sheary to battle over.

I'd rather be excited for McMichael than Sprong myselft... but realistically the third line will be a combination of Sheary and one of Panik/Hagelin.

Futures Passed

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.
Sep 2, 2018
I agree with most of this.

save the “new system” comment. It’s not more of a new system for Sprong than it will be for everyone else too.

unless Lavy keeps some of the old Reirden in place. Which I doubt.

Sprong will be on equal footing w all of the guys, in this regard. Won’t he??

Fair enough. They will all start with the same lack of familiarity with the system.

For the record, I'm not arguing Sprong won't succeed. I just think he he may have a slower learning curve and may take more time to adjust than Sheary for instance. I think a more seasoned pro like Sheary, who has a more balanced game will be better able to pick up his responsibilities in the new system more quickly than Sprong. I think Sprong will continue to improve over the course of the season. In the meantime though, the Caps can't really afford to be overly patient with Sprong's development in a packed division on a 56 game schedule where at least one playoff quality team will not be making the playoffs this season. The whole division gets thrown right into the fire right from day one with zero preseason games to help prep, so I think there is more pressure to perform early this season than in the past.

I do think Sprong will get his opportunities though and am, cautiously, optimistic he will turn into a good middle six winger with the Caps over the next few seasons. If Oshie gets exposed/taken in the expansion draft next season to clear cap for Vrana and Ovie's extensions, then Sprong's value to the team could be even higher next year.

On a different note, happy holidays folks!

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I'd rather be excited for McMichael than Sprong myselft... but realistically the third line will be a combination of Sheary and one of Panik/Hagelin.

Hagelin is pretty much a lock for the LW. Panik, Sprong and Sheary will battle for 3RW. Panik is the 4 if he doesnt win the 3 and the other two are scratches if they dont.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Hagelin is pretty much a lock for the LW. Panik, Sprong and Sheary will battle for 3RW. Panik is the 4 if he doesnt win the 3 and the other two are scratches if they dont.
I’m not sure Hathaway is guaranteed a slot. Especially if Sprong wins the 3RW outta camp.

Hathaway could also be 13F

Hagelin/Panik - Eller - Sprong
Hagelin/Panik - Dowd - Sheary.
Hathaway.

I think last season showed that Panik is far better as an LW than an RW. Hags will *probably* get the 3LW, but I’m not sure. Will really depend on chemistry between linemates etc. Whomever meshes best w Eller will end up as the defacto 3LW, same w 3RW.

I would like to think the 4th line will get a lot more minutes this year. So Hagelin possibly being on the 4th won’t much matter as he’d still be top PK player.

I know you (Tex) won’t ever see Hagelin as 4th liner. You’ve been very clear w your thoughts on that over the last 1 + seasons....but I think it will be more about pairing to the centers than anything. And while Reirden played Hags w Eller a lot, doesn’t mean Lavy will.

lots to digest w all of the options here.

Reactions: Capagonia

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I’m not sure Hathaway is guaranteed a slot. Especially if Sprong wins the 3RW outta camp.

Hathaway could also be 13F

Hagelin/Panik - Eller - Sprong
Hagelin/Panik - Dowd - Sheary.
Hathaway.

I think last season showed that Panik is far better as an LW than an RW. Hags will *probably* get the 3LW, but I’m not sure. Will really depend on chemistry between linemates etc. Whomever meshes best w Eller will end up as the defacto 3LW, same w 3RW.

I would like to think the 4th line will get a lot more minutes this year. So Hagelin possibly being on the 4th won’t much matter as he’d still be top PK player.

I know you (Tex) won’t ever see Hagelin as 4th liner. You’ve been very clear w your thoughts on that over the last 1 + seasons....but I think it will be more about pairing to the centers than anything. And while Reirden played Hags w Eller a lot, doesn’t mean Lavy will.

lots to digest w all of the options here.

Lets talk about Hathaway. He is on the team for a reason and impressed enough to both fill in up the lineup and get a significant extension to his contract. He plays a game that MacLellan wants both in the lineup and as the identity of his team. Hagelin gets scratched before Hathaway does. Panik Hathaway and Dowd were a solid energy line that can score some goals. But they are a physical entity that MacLellan wants. Neither Sprong nor Sheary bring any of that. They dont fit there. Either they are 3RW or in the nacho line. IMO.

Meanwhile what I say visa vi Hagelin is my analysis of what the team is thinking. Thats all.

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Lets talk about Hathaway. He is on the team for a reason and impressed enough to both fill in up the lineup and get a significant extension to his contract. He plays a game that MacLellan wants both in the lineup and as the identity of his team. Hagelin gets scratched before Hathaway does. Panik Hathaway and Dowd were a solid energy line that can score some goals. But they are a physical entity that MacLellan wants. Neither Sprong nor Sheary bring any of that. They dont fit there. Either they are 3RW or in the nacho line. IMO.

Meanwhile what I say visa vi Hagelin is my analysis of what the team is thinking. Thats all.
I don’t think we can draw any conclusions based upon usage w Reirden. As you’ve stated a few times, Laviolette has added players he likes/knows/wants. So if he’s been able to be a part of this he off season groupthink of added players, I highly doubt GMBM will tell him who to play and where.

so again, I think Hathaway could be at risk for pine duty. The signing of Sheary opens up all kids of options. Hathaway is certainly a very different player type than Sheary and Sprong, but that may be the point.

I think the only players that will be assured of a sweater in the bottom 6 are Eller and Panik. Next to them is Dowd and Hagelin. Then there are 2 slots left amongst Hathaway, Sheary, Sprong....and to w much lesser extent Carr, Pinho, Pilon, and McMichael.

And all of that is assuming they don’t add yet another vet F. I don’t think they will, but if someone they like (read Lavy & GMBM) will sign for 750k, they may simply have to do it. Why not?

We shall see.

Reactions: Capagonia

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I don’t think we can draw any conclusions based upon usage w Reirden. As you’ve stated a few times, Laviolette has added players he likes/knows/wants. So if he’s been able to be a part of this he off season groupthink of added players, I highly doubt GMBM will tell him who to play and where.

so again, I think Hathaway could be at risk for pine duty. The signing of Sheary opens up all kids of options. Hathaway is certainly a very different player type than Sheary and Sprong, but that may be the point.

I think the only players that will be assured of a sweater in the bottom 6 are Eller and Panik. Next to them is Dowd and Hagelin. Then there are 2 slots left amongst Hathaway, Sheary, Sprong....and to w much lesser extent Carr, Pinho, Pilon, and McMichael.

And all of that is assuming they don’t add yet another vet F. I don’t think they will, but if someone they like (read Lavy & GMBM) will sign for 750k, they may simply have to do it. Why not?

We shall see.

I can only go by what Laviolette and MacLellan have said in public. Lavy singled out Orlov and there are reports that Schultz was ticketed to play with Orlov. Seeing a strategy there isnt hard. Laviolette in every interview talked about the Caps size and their physical game. Maybe I am totally off track but MacLellan consistantly referring to the heavy indentity that he wants his team to have and Laviolette singling out their physical game says Hathaway to me. Not Sheary

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Well, if so, he picked Sheary. So would assume said player will be given a good chance to play. Meaning someone else won’t.

I think I said that Sheary, Sprong and Panik would battle for the 3RW job. Panik is a fit for the 4th line where Sprong and Sheary are not. Sprong arrived before Laviolette. May be that he doesnt like Sprong or likes Sheary. Right?

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
I think I said that Sheary, Sprong and Panik would battle for the 3RW job. Panik is a fit for the 4th line where Sprong and Sheary are not. Sprong arrived before Laviolette. May be that he doesnt like Sprong or likes Sheary. Right?
Yes.

But you are hanging onto Hathaway always getting a sweater. I am stating I think he could easily be odd man out.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Hagelin spent a lot of time away from 3LW last year... the only forward lock on the Caps is Ovechkin at 1LW.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Hagelin spent a lot of time away from 3LW last year... the only forward lock on the Caps is Ovechkin at 1LW.

Other than when he was injured and out, when was he away from 3LW a lot? I am not good at pulling that data. After returning from injury he played 41 games. 8 goals 13 assists. 20 pts. In the 41 games he played under 13 mins toi 8 times. Under 12 mins once. Hathaway and Dowd averaged under 11 mins for the season. What is your definition of a lot?

The graph I found on RMNB showed he played almost every game with Eller. He played a handful of games early with Kuzy and Wilson. Late he played some games with Boyd and Kovalchuk. Maybe I am reading that wrong

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad