OT: Washington Redskins 2018 Season Vol. 5: Shards and puddles (7-9)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
No one liked the Manusky “hire”. Gruden choked on it. Familiarity or whatever. Should be his undoing.

Danny need to dump Allen. Or st least totally remove him from all team specific operations.

Promote the other guy that’s garnering interest around the league (forget his name). He can pick a new coach.

I say that as I don’t see any real football guy coming in to work for Danny. I’d be really surprised.

Look— in fantasy land Danny spends 15m a year on like Nick Saban, gets out of the way, and let’s the mans genius do it’s work.

But that is not based in reality.

Allen needs to get the f*** out, now. He is a cancer and a snake and needs to go. Eric Schaffer is the guy you're referring to and if they lose him and keep Allen we are screwed.

Gruden has choked epically on his DC hires and yes, it may be his undoing. He had the opportunity -- twice -- to snatch up Wade Phillips and inexplicably chose Joe Barry and Greg Manusky over him. He had some proven guys he could have chosen over Manusky in Steve Wilks, Gus Bradley, and Rex Ryan but made a really bad decision. Before Manusky, they failed to close the deal on hiring Vic Fangio (look at what he's done for Chicago) and interviewed a host of other candidates far more qualified than Joe Barry, which was an awful decision.

In another universe the Redskins have Scot running football operations along with Schaffer, they hired Vic Fangio in 2015, they committed long-term to Cousins the same year at a reasonable price, and they're now one of the best teams in the NFC and built to be perennial playoff contenders. Instead they hired Joe Barry and Greg Manusky, let Bruce Allen embarrassingly and publicly force out Scot, and let Bruce bungle the "Kurt" Cousins negotiations so badly that now we are where we are: no QB, no DC, a fractured locker room, a snake for President, and questions about whether or not Gruden should and will be fired. This is what bad management does to an organization.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Allen needs to get the **** out, now. He is a cancer and a snake and needs to go. Eric Schaffer is the guy you're referring to and if they lose him and keep Allen we are screwed.

Gruden has choked epically on his DC hires and yes, it may be his undoing. He had the opportunity -- twice -- to snatch up Wade Phillips and inexplicably chose Joe Barry and Greg Manusky over him. He had some proven guys he could have chosen over Manusky in Steve Wilks, Gus Bradley, and Rex Ryan but made a really bad decision. Before Manusky, they failed to close the deal on hiring Vic Fangio (look at what he's done for Chicago) and interviewed a host of other candidates far more qualified than Joe Barry, which was an awful decision.

In another universe the Redskins have Scot running football operations along with Schaffer, they hired Vic Fangio in 2015, they committed long-term to Cousins the same year at a reasonable price, and they're now one of the best teams in the NFC and built to be perennial playoff contenders. Instead they hired Joe Barry and Greg Manusky, let Bruce Allen embarrassingly and publicly force out Scot, and let Bruce bungle the "Kurt" Cousins negotiations so badly that now we are where we are: no QB, no DC, a fractured locker room, a snake for President, and questions about whether or not Gruden should and will be fired. This is what bad management does to an organization.

I wholeheartedly agree with some of this but Fangio chose the Bears over us if I remember correctly. Gruden’s problem is he doesn’t attract top-end assistants, and Snyder, who likes to splurge everywhere else, doesn’t make them the types of offers that they can’t refuse.

Most importantly - and say it with me now everybody - Scot McCloughan had atrocious drafts with us. I mean, his work was absolutely bottom of the barrel. Allen’s last two drafts were far superior to the McCloughan years, and that’s really faint praise.

If the Redskins make one move this offseason it should be to hire a GM/Team President. They need someone who has an overall vision for this franchise and the power to execute it. It goes far beyond the Xs and Os of player/coach acquisition, but it certainly starts there. There is an entrenched soullessness and ineptitude surrounding the organization that needs to be rectified - and considering the fact that Snyder is largely responsible and isn’t going anywhere, it’s going to take an extremely savvy individual to come in here and establish a new culture.

That’s what’s so grim about it. There is probably someone out there who could immediately change the Redskins’ fortunes, but the org is probably too dysfunctional to recognize that, locate the correct candidate, and, finally, lure that person to come in here and begin cleaning this thing up.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I wholeheartedly agree with some of this but Fangio chose the Bears over us if I remember correctly. Gruden’s problem is he doesn’t attract top-end assistants, and Snyder, who likes to splurge everywhere else, doesn’t make them the types of offers that they can’t refuse.

Most importantly - and say it with me now everybody - Scot McCloughan had atrocious drafts with us. I mean, his work was absolutely bottom of the barrel. Allen’s last two drafts were far superior to the McCloughan years, and that’s really faint praise.

If the Redskins make one move this offseason it should be to hire a GM/Team President. They need someone who has an overall vision for this franchise and the power to execute it. It goes far beyond the Xs and Os of player/coach acquisition, but it certainly starts there. There is an entrenched soullessness and ineptitude surrounding the organization that needs to be rectified - and considering the fact that Snyder is largely responsible and isn’t going anywhere, it’s going to take an extremely savvy individual to come in here and establish a new culture.

That’s what’s so grim about it. There is probably someone out there who could immediately change the Redskins’ fortunes, but the org is probably too dysfunctional to recognize that, locate the correct candidate, and, finally, lure that person to come in here and begin cleaning this thing up.

Can't agree with the bolded. Scot picked Brandon Scherff, Preston Smith, Jamison Crowder, Kendall Fuller, and Matt Ioannidis in two years. Four of those five picks are four of the best players on the roster. Fuller would be a key piece of the team if not for the Alex Smith trade.

He also had a few promising players whose careers were derailed due to injuries like Kysheon Jarrett and Evan Spencer. Su'a Cravens should have been a homerun pick if he wasn't a child. Martrell Spaight and Matt Jones also played meaningful snaps for the team. Nate Sudfeld is on an NFL roster at QB. 2-3 studs per draft + 2-3 useful players is a pretty darn good track record. The Doctson pick really hurts and likely taints people's view points of Scot's draft history here.

Also, did Gruden attract Sean McVay and Matt LaFleur? Seems like he can attract offensive talent but his defensive track record, absent of Jim Tomsula, is terrible. Agree wholeheartedly about the entrenched soullessness... that's what hurt so much about Scot not working out. It felt like finally there was a "football guy" in charge who was going to build the organization the right way but nope, we can't have nice things.

I'll say it again: get Bruce the f*** out of town, and do it yesterday.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
His drafts have been previously dissected. Decent drafting, but certainly not as fantastic as the Scott fans would have us believe.

Fire Bruce, Fire Ernie!

FBFE!

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
thinking about it I would not be as much of a college football viewer if it wasn't for all the terrible seasons where I had to turn my attention to something optimistic.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
So much poison within one franchise it actually boggles my mind... Thinking back to the RG3 era gets me especially fired up due to how the miss use of him ruined his health and career.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
If I saw this stuff in a movie or tv drama, I would roll my eyes and turn it off for being to over the top. We need to frame Snyder in a prostitution ring or something, so the nfl would force him to sell

Reactions: robertmac43

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Can't agree with the bolded. Scot picked Brandon Scherff, Preston Smith, Jamison Crowder, Kendall Fuller, and Matt Ioannidis in two years. Four of those five picks are four of the best players on the roster. Fuller would be a key piece of the team if not for the Alex Smith trade.

He also had a few promising players whose careers were derailed due to injuries like Kysheon Jarrett and Evan Spencer. Su'a Cravens should have been a homerun pick if he wasn't a child. Martrell Spaight and Matt Jones also played meaningful snaps for the team. Nate Sudfeld is on an NFL roster at QB. 2-3 studs per draft + 2-3 useful players is a pretty darn good track record. The Doctson pick really hurts and likely taints people's view points of Scot's draft history here.

Also, did Gruden attract Sean McVay and Matt LaFleur? Seems like he can attract offensive talent but his defensive track record, absent of Jim Tomsula, is terrible. Agree wholeheartedly about the entrenched soullessness... that's what hurt so much about Scot not working out. It felt like finally there was a "football guy" in charge who was going to build the organization the right way but nope, we can't have nice things.

I'll say it again: get Bruce the **** out of town, and do it yesterday.

Get the f*** outta here. 2-3 “studs” per draft? Scherf is the only “stud” he drafted and that’s an offensive guard at like 5th overall. That’s a substantial reach for that position. Ioannidis was definitely his best draft pick. Smith is OK. Crowder is nothing special. Fuller has been part of a horrendous KC secondary - he’s fine but not a difference maker. Jones, Doctson and Cravens are all garbage draft picks.

I’d take Allen and Payne over anyone McGloughan drafted. I think Guice will be better than any skill player he drafted as well. The last two Allen drafts have been top heavy, but they’re at worst comparable to the lackluster work McGloughan did.

Bottom line is the shift towards building around draft is a good one. They have to draft better to make it work though.

McVay and LaFleur were both holdovers from Shanahan - ie someone who actually could attract top end assistants. That’s clearly not Gruden’s forte.

We both wholeheartedly agree that Allen needs to go. McGloughan was not the answer, however. He’s not a sought after commodity and that proof is in the pudding. Nobody’s gonna give him a GM role. Not only that, but we need someone with gravitas who’s not going to be another Mr. Smithers. We need an anvil that we can reshape the organizational culture upon.

That person is out there. The problem is the Redskins are going to have a hard time attracting that person to take the job, unless Snyder backs up the Brink’s truck and then recuses himself from daily football operations.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
You are joking right?

Miss use may be the wrong word, more poor deployment choice. He should never have been in that Wild Card game against Seattle. If i recall correctly he was even pulled from that game with an injury and then put back in before his knee ultimately gave out.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Miss use may be the wrong word, more poor deployment choice. He should never have been in that Wild Card game against Seattle. If i recall correctly he was even pulled from that game with an injury and then put back in before his knee ultimately gave out.

Your recall is not correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad