OT: Washington Redskins 2018 Season Vol. 5: Shards and puddles (7-9)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Andy Dalton......is so......meh.
I'd take him for a year or two and let a guy like Will Grier sit and learn. Use the 1st round pick for offensive line instead of one of the unsensational 1st round QB's available. Worst case scenario Grier bombs and you only wasted a second round pick. I think they'd know by draft time next year if he's a waste and they can look at the QB position again with a higher pick and more talented options available.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Can they afford Dalton?

I initially said no but now it depends.

Dalton has 2 years left on his deal at 16 mil and 17 mil but all his garuntee money is paid off. So CIN can trade him or cut him with no penalty. Skins could only afford him if he is cut and he comes to DC on a bargain deal.

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Dalton. Another security blanket for the TB Mafia. Gruden's connection to better days in Cincy.

If that happens it will be the final confirmation that they don't actually know football outside of the connections they make.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Dalton is a smart plan if they're looking for a bridge QB to keep them competitive. It gives them an opportunity to draft and stash a QB and/or to spend their high picks on a different position.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
McCoy can't be relied upon to play a full season, he just can't stay healthy. If McCoy is the starter going into this season then the season is already lost. Which is fine, if they are tanking. But I doubt they will be.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I did find it funny to read that Jay promoted his future replacement him.

I have no concerns over the NFL salary cap. It is a total joke and easily circumvented. They will just covert a contract or 2 to bonus money or some shit and voila, Andy Dalton is our new QB. At the height of the Skins cap circumvention, there were NO sites that tracked NFL salaries.

Contrast the NFL to the NHL and its easy to see one cap is a joke. Dallas and then the Skins were the worst of the bunch and eventually paid for it with the violating the spirit crap Mara sprung on us. After decades of abuse. Dallas was way in front of us with the Emmit Era offense.

Last edited:
Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
McCoy can't be relied upon to play a full season, he just can't stay healthy. If McCoy is the starter going into this season then the season is already lost. Which is fine, if they are tanking. But I doubt they will be.

This is why I’m ok going with McCoy. There isn’t an answer for next year at QB. So might as well accept it and plan for longer down the road

Reactions: Bananas

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I wouldn't. Not with the Smith contract hanging over the teams head for the next 2 years. McCoy would be the better option financially.

If you want to lose....even if it’s false, Dalton would give a little hope to fans.

McCoy signals rebuild. Not one fan should tune in to see McCoy start next year.

Last edited:

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
If you want to lose....even if it’s false, Dalton would give a little hope to fans.

I don't think we need a full on rebuild but more of a re-tool with a new game plan. Unfortunately they love Gruden(or don't want to pay him to hang out on a beach somewhere) and we're stuck with another 8-8 year no matter who QB's the team. Dalton is a nice stop gap for another 8-8 season while something develops under him and waits for a new coach.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009

I choose McCoy over Dalton because of the ramifications taking on Dalton from a financial standpoint would potentially have on the future when the rookie deals for good players like Scherff, Allen and Payne are up and they need to be resigned.

Talent and durability wise there is no argument about who is better but moving forward with McCoy, Johnson and a rookie at QB is the best option financially for the team and minimizing the Smith disaster is all that matters now for the Skins, IMO.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Dalton is Jay trying to save what's left of his job or reputation. I don't think Dalton will sign anywhere on a 1yr deal and I'm betting that's all Jay's getting as an injury do-over and he knows it. So the only way Dalton comes to DC is if the front office really, really likes the guy regardless of Gruden, or if they somehow are open to Gruden staying and are willing to throw money behind it (doubt it).

That coupled with the obvious tank flag of starting McCoy week 1 tells me they need to draft a QB this year even if they're hoping to land another next year.

Promoting your passing coach to OC implies the QB position and probably the offense will be held together with duct tape and spit. "You know what we have, make it work somehow".

Also, on Flacco, he has a lot of money already and he's close enough to DC to know how things work at Skins HQ. I doubt he wants to play for Snyder and sure as hell won't want a 1yr deal (or a backup/mentor role).

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
OK I figured out their master plan.

Bring in and grossly overpay another guaranteed contract to a vet QB - likely Carrot Top. And make him backup Colt.

Fire Jay mid season after predictable failure to give KOC a chance to show if he is the next McVay. Which of course, he won't be. But since teams were inquiring about him trying to loot what little talent we have in the front office, we now think he is more then he is.

KOC predictably fails miserably and gets fired at seasons end, and then a guy with ties to Tampa becomes our next head coach, and we trade for Winston and grossly overpay him in a hefty fully guaranteed contract after paying to trade away Dalton.

With our early first round pick, we bypass on a stud QB and take a guard.

KOC moves on to be an assistant under McVay and eventually is a successful head coach in 2023.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bananas

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I choose McCoy over Dalton because of the ramifications taking on Dalton from a financial standpoint would potentially have on the future when the rookie deals for good players like Scherff, Allen and Payne are up and they need to be resigned.

Talent and durability wise there is no argument about who is better but moving forward with McCoy, Johnson and a rookie at QB is the best option financially for the team and minimizing the Smith disaster is all that matters now for the Skins, IMO.

I see, you’re predicting some contract that nobody has any idea what it will ultimately be and the trickle down that may or may not impact future contracts of guys who could get hurt and be out of the NFL tomorrow.

I’m simply saying from a talent perspective, McCoy gives any reasonably intelligent fan zero hope for next year. I fully expect McCoy and a rookie coming in mid-season.

Snyder and Allen continue to manage the franchise from the corner they painted themselves into at the QB position.

Last edited:

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Another typical Redskins move. Have your business man/contract savvy/no eye for talent GM, go to Mobile to scout. Keep your no desire for business/doesn't know contracts/doesn't like defense HC, stay back and try to sway assistant coaches to come here.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Don’t have any insightful commentary but I just wanted to make it known that I really hate Rob Ryan’s stupid face and scowl.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad