OT: Washington Redskins 2018 Season Vol. 3: Half-full (6-3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 19, 2008
I am so glad they actually punched someone in the mouth for once to start a game. Like 4 plays in they go deep to Richardson. You don't understand what a psychological advantage that has. I was also interested in how that was a "Green Bay Crowd" to start the game per Madich on NBC Washington yet it started to turn into a pro Redskins crowd. Redskins need to play like that more consistently; maybe they can draw more people into FedEx.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Yep, it seems like 2 hand touch on a QB is the best solution.

AP running the ball just looks like a man among boys, at least compared to our RBs.

It's nice to have the bye after a win and winning record.

Praetorian Caps

May 15, 2018
I wonder if Kyle would have any interest in trading for Colt McCoy. Certainly a more plausible option that RGIII.

At this point my 13yr old niece would be more plausible than RG3. He will never be the player He was in 2012, again and I'm sure Kyle holds some animosity for the debacle that went down between Griffin and his dad.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
I’ll say it again: the Skins had an A-grade offseason....

Still plenty of work to be done but they have built solid depth with a few standouts on OL and DL. At the very least Smith is a viable leader who wants to be here. They’re continuing the climb to respectability.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Whats your stance on Gruden?

Didn’t ask me but I will respond. I think he is average at best at this point. He has had 4 years to shape the culture of the team in his image. As it stands right now I don’t sense a winning culture. Will be happy to be proven wrong though.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Not sure if I'm happy or sad, but I haven't watched a single second of Redskins football this year. No NFL ST anymore, not bothering to see if the game is televised in SoCal. Just spending my Sunday's gardening, swimming in the pool or going to the beach with my munchkin.

Its invigorating, I suggest you try it.

Happy to see they're 2-1, but I smell 8-8 when its all over. Also I hear the stadium is empty, and I think I know why.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Didn’t ask me but I will respond. I think he is average at best at this point. He has had 4 years to shape the culture of the team in his image. As it stands right now I don’t sense a winning culture. Will be happy to be proven wrong though.

I’m afraid you are right. Too many let down games under his leadership. And I like him. I really do.

But his attention to detail seems lacking. They could go 10-6 and he keeps coaching. But I’m not expecting it.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Whats your stance on Gruden?

I hated him (a lot) his first year. He looks and sounds like a doofus. He says “offense, defense and special teams” like he’s unearthing some secret football knowledge. Like he’s the first guy to figure out there are actually THREE phases to the game.

But his second year I thought he did an outstanding job of guiding a very lackluster roster to the playoffs. I’ve always thought him pretty vanilla, but he at least runs an actual NFL offense - none of that hokey Spurrier or Zorn crap. And now I think this team finally suits his philosophy and his strengths as a coach. Big up front, limited but hard working / bright QB. And he’s done a good job of keeping the drama at a minimum as far as the Redskins go.

Basically, this is his year - with a Gruden style roster - to prove that he can compete with the best in the business. The team is still limited enough where I’m not expecting miracles, but they are good enough on paper and healthy enough to compete every single week. They should be a playoff team or just barely on the outside looking in depending on health. Anything short of that and I think you can safely say “what you see is what you get” with him. As it stands that’s an average NFL head coach.

He’s gotten the benefit of continuity, and he needs to take advantage of that and win some more big games against top competition. And he needs some wins within the division. We need to punish the Cowboys and Giants in particular for having even more flaws than we do. If he can guide us to the playoffs I’d keep him. If he can’t he’d better have as many injuries as last year and have the team fighting and improving until the bitter end. They seemed to mail it in last year once the injuries hit and the Cousins situation became beyond repair. That would be unacceptable this year given Smith’s age and contract. At the same time I think the Smith era is more about becoming “not suck” over several consecutive seasons as opposed to competing for the Super Bowl.

I think Gruden has a golden opportunity to do just that. He can show he has grown into the role and can be a little better than average. He can guide us into an era where we genuinely compete for the playoffs year-in, year-out. That’s probably his max potential but for this stage in the organization’s history it’s a good and necessary stepping stone.

If he can’t even handle that much get f***ing rid of him...

Last edited:
Reactions: Corby78

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
I’m afraid you are right. Too many let down games under his leadership. And I like him. I really do.

But his attention to detail seems lacking. They could go 10-6 and he keeps coaching. But I’m not expecting it.

Al Galdi had Mike Jones on his show this morning. Mike Jones used to cover the Skins for the WaPost but is now a national NFL correspondent for USA Today. Galdi asked him about Gruden and the Skins and it somehow got around to Jones comparing practice he witnessed with the Skins and some other NFL teams. Jones said he was struck by the tempo of practice for the Eagles and Patriots. Both were very up tempo where the Skins under Gruden is very laid back. He also mentioned how the Patriots penalize players who jump off sides on defense or false start on offense during practice. When one player does it the entire unit has to run a lap around the field immediately. Skins don't come close to that. And those are the last two SB winners. Kind of reinforces the impression I have of Gruden.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Al Galdi had Mike Jones on his show this morning. Mike Jones used to cover the Skins for the WaPost but is now a national NFL correspondent for USA Today. Galdi asked him about Gruden and the Skins and it somehow got around to Jones comparing practice he witnessed with the Skins and some other NFL teams. Jones said he was struck by the tempo of practice for the Eagles and Patriots. Both were very up tempo where the Skins under Gruden is very laid back. He also mentioned how the Patriots penalize players who jump off sides on defense or false start on offense during practice. When one player does it the entire unit has to run a lap around the field immediately. Skins don't come close to that. And those are the last two SB winners. Kind of reinforces the impression I have of Gruden.

Yep, unfortunately, that all makes sense. Gruden "sometimes" seems more interested in being their buddy and leading that way....than any real discipline. Just seems his personality.

I think hes a really solid football mind, and is also very creative (offense). But he doesn't really demand excellence. Which probably means he will never get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad