OT: Washington [Insert Team Name Here] 2020 Season Thread 10: Kickers are the best athletes

Status
Not open for further replies.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
"get ready people"...

WTF is that, we've been training for this shit since 1999.

Literally no form of additional chaos that could be announced tomorrow or soon, would surprise or bother me at this point.

Reactions: Bananas

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Gonna try to not get overly political here. But as a guy who has lived his whole life in white privilege there's one thing I've noticed in particular to Native Americans and it's they are intensely proud of their heritage. To the point of like "Damn man you guys put southerners and their whole stars and bars scheme to shame." I feel like if the team would do disservice to Native Americans by abandoning the identity. Name change? New logo? Aw what the hell? Go for it. Things can change. But damn it keep the big feathers, go with a name like Braves, Wolves, Red Hawks (good to see it was suggested by another poster) and make yourself a big chief (or even a stylish R) and be the braves on the warpath fighting for old DC just like the damn song says to. You've been doing it for damn near 100 years. Don't stop now.

And if I may, the whole thing with DC sports teams being named for the fact it's the USA's government center (think Nationals, Senators, Capitals) is played out too much. The Redskins were a unique brand in that regard. All the best tomorrow. It was indeed time for a new name but I pray the team can still pay homage the way it intended but in a more modern 2020 version and the changes can be small but effective.

Trying to imagine this brand as something else is like trying to get me to re-imagine the Florida State Seminoles.

All the rumors of the new name not being related to anything native american is really disappointing me if this happens. Not sure if there is a pro-positive native american nickname but would love to see some ideas on that.

Reactions: Eirikrautha

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
It should be Washington Americans

There's Capitals
You have Nationals

Americans just sounds and feels right.

I like the Washington Senators idea too - that would be a cool callback to Washington sports history. Repurposing the old baseball team name could work here.

The way things are going now in this country culture wise calling them Americans may be as divisive as Redskins.

Sep 19, 2008
No name yet although if you choose to believe it's locked in a trademark dispute that is probably why

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
The way things are going now in this country culture wise calling them Americans may be as divisive as Redskins.

Don't cut yourself on that edge, pal.

In any event. The one favorite I don't like is Warriors. There's already an established sports franchise called Warriors, if you want to nit pick, you can think up negative conatations to that name and aside from that it's a generic and boring sports name. It's like calling the team the Wildcats. I just don't think it represents Washington D.C.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Did we know for sure before this press release that the logo was definitely out?

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I see what you're saying, and if there was a guaranteed safe way to honor Native American culture with a new name I'd be all for it. But times change, and there's no way to predict what the future will bring. A seemingly respectful name in 2020 might bring trouble in 2050.

The much safer alternative is to pick a name that has nothing to do with Native American culture. Or any culture. Animal names are always safe, so I'm good with Redwolves.

I totally agree that Nationals and Capitals are bad names. I love my Caps as much as anyone on here, but the name is basic AF. Nationals is worse, since there's no such thing as a National, and they play in the National League. Seriously, who thought that was a good idea? I'd rather root for the Washington Expos.

I agree about the Native American name. The data says 90%ish of Native Americans love the name Redskins and here we are. Anything that has anything to do with a minority group in the US should be avoided. Who knows what will be considered offensive in 10 years, 20 years, or whenever.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Well Snyder screws me again. I've purposely not purchased any Redskin gear for years out of spite for Snyder. Now it will all be all hard to find and limited, and it will cost me more.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Reactions: Corby78

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
It should be Washington Americans

There's Capitals
You have Nationals

Americans just sounds and feels right.

I like the Washington Senators idea too - that would be a cool callback to Washington sports history. Repurposing the old baseball team name could work here.

America's Team!

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I agree about the Native American name. The data says 90%ish of Native Americans love the name Redskins and here we are. Anything that has anything to do with a minority group in the US should be avoided. Who knows what will be considered offensive in 10 years, 20 years, or whenever.

Not exactly true. There are conflicting poll results and the most favorable polls did not use the wording "love the name". The quesion was

"The professional football team in Washington calls itself the Washington Redskins. As a Native American, do you find that name offensive or doesn't it bother you?"

This is a poorly worded question and per the below there are issues with the sampling/reporting/methodology. And again other polls tell a different story.

Washington Redskins name opinion polls - Wikipedia

My guess is if you asked NAs today "should the team change the name" the results would not be 10% in favor.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
First off, no polling has ever indicated that 90% of anyone "loves" the name.

At risk of rehashing what has been discussed multiple times in previous iterations of this thread, the Annenberg and WaPo polls were both poorly conducted and relied on self reporting of Native American identities. There's a reason you see such drastically different results between these polls and the polls conducted of those with tribal affiliations.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Not exactly true. There are conflicting poll results and the most favorable polls did not use the wording "love the name". The quesion was

"The professional football team in Washington calls itself the Washington Redskins. As a Native American, do you find that name offensive or doesn't it bother you?"

This is a poorly worded question and per the below there are issues with the sampling/reporting/methodology. And again other polls tell a different story.

Washington Redskins name opinion polls - Wikipedia

My guess is if you asked NAs today "should the team change the name" the results would not be 10% in favor.

The point is still valid. Every poll (even those by the post) have showed the vast majority like or don't care about the name. The name is used by NA and worn by NA. My point is you don't need a "majority" to drive the narrative. I would love to honor Native Americans, but even if 90% think its great, you could still "offend" 10%. If we are going to change the name, go all the way. End it and move on. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad