OT: Washington Football Team-Free Agency Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
Why does he want out? This isn’t Bruce Allen’s butcher job anymore.

Scherff has spoken multiple times about how much he likes Rivera and wants to stay here. So we think he’s been lying this entire time?
My thoughts exactly, didn’t he just say he wanted to be in Washington his whole career? Now we have a respectable team and coach and he wants out ugh

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Why wouldn’t he? That’s so easy Dave....

Because he wants out....he’ll milk them until he forces their hand and still get paid elsewhere.

it was clear to me when they tagged him. Clearer now that we know no talks have occurred.

So you're saying he was lying all along, and the WFT offered him a deal that legit pays him the most money for his position in the league?

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Reactions: Ridley Simon

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Certainly not the price the Jets were hoping for but they picked a bad year to be peddling a struggling prospect QB.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Exactly. Something doesn’t smell right. I think they need to simply alter their offer, or admit they don’t want to pay the guaranteed money he deserves (arguably it’s the injury issue here)

something doesn’t smell right....and his name is Dan Snyder.

conspiracy theory 2356556....he’s not signing anyone for big $ guarantees right now until he’s sure he’s not being forced to sell....or......

he’s cash strapped after the buyback and doesn’t want to pony up 10s of millions to anyone right now....

RR doesn’t seem like a guy who negotiates in bad faith, so.....?

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
something doesn’t smell right....and his name is Dan Snyder.

conspiracy theory 2356556....he’s not signing anyone for big $ guarantees right now until he’s sure he’s not being forced to sell....or......

he’s cash strapped after the buyback and doesn’t want to pony up 10s of millions to anyone right now....

RR doesn’t seem like a guy who negotiates in bad faith, so.....?

Not sure anyone has accused him of that. Its not bad faith to tell BS (BScherff) that we want to pay you a lot of money if you stay healthy but not a lot of money if you get hurt again. In other words, the "highest paid OG" offer we read about from Keim is likely true in average annual value, but as I've said likely untrue in terms of guaranteed money. And from BS standpoint, he wants guaranteed money because they all do. I doubt its Snyder who is restricting the offer to BS, it just seems like smart cap management for a player who has missed a ton of time lately but is an All Pro when healthy.

I've said there's plenty of opportunity for bad faith on both sides, but also its entirely possible that both sides are being honest and negotiating in good faith as well, they just have significant differences in demands. BS wants to stay but guaranteed money talks. RR wants to keep him but not at a high risk deal for the team. Nothing so far conflicts with these two possibilities.

I for one, don't think he's lying in that video, he layered it on much thicker than he needed to if he was just doing "negotiation speak".

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
If you’re saying they’re lowballing him in guaranteed $, that’s a bad faith offer to me. I bet it’s closer to they just don’t want to make him overpaid in guarantees.

I personally suspect the player has Kirk Cousin-like designs on this whole thing. He wants to be the top paid guy, and would be fine if that was elsewhere....

If this is all some master plan to protect themselves from a frequently injured guy, then trade him instead of overpaying until you can’t anymore. Not buying that angle. Then again...it is the WFT.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario

Yep. Nothing like rolling with a 39 year old that has played for 9 different teams, a 27 year old who starred in one game but has a history of injury issues and a 25 year old who is coming off a broken ankle that needed to be surgically repaired and has a weaker arm than Alex Smith. Lots to be excited about!!!

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Yep. Nothing like rolling with a 39 year old that has played for 9 different teams, a 27 year old who starred in one game but has a history of injury issues and a 25 year old who is coming off a broken ankle that needed to be surgically repaired and has a weaker arm than Alex Smith. Lots to be excited about!!!
Versus Bridgewater or Darnold?

Those 2 are exciting? I think they only beat Andy Dalton in the “excit-o-meter”. I’m happy w what they have versus those 2.

honestly — the only guy that’s moved from one team to another that I’d rather have over Fitz is Stafford. At least so far.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
It sure sounds like someone is trying to trade up to #4 to take Fields from Atlanta. I hope it's us.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
It sure sounds like someone is trying to trade up to #4 to take Fields from Atlanta. I hope it's us.

It won't be WFT. Marty Hurney and Martin Mayhew are clueless and you can bet that good ol' Riverboat wants to pretend he's Bellichek by believing that team, not quarterback, matters. Of course, we all saw how well that worked when Brady went to Tampa Bay and won there. And to make matters worse? The 2022 quarterback class is a stinker class.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
It won't be WFT. Marty Hurney and Martin Mayhew are clueless and you can bet that good ol' Riverboat wants to pretend he's Bellichek by believing that team, not quarterback, matters. Of course, we all saw how well that worked when Brady went to Tampa Bay and won there. And to make matters worse? The 2022 quarterback class is a stinker class.
Yer a little angry bud. Considering how much better the team is from 3-13 Butch Allen/Smokin Jay’s Gruden

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Yer a little angry bud. Considering how much better the team is from 3-13 Butch Allen/Smokin Jay’s Gruden

It's because I'm tired of one extreme to the other. Bruce Allen and Jay Gruden were terrible for this franchise. Bruce was a master manipulator and Jay was his puppet and we all knew it and Dan allowed it to happen because they made Dan part of the 'boys club' in there. Now Rivera comes in and immediately, good football people are replaced by his people. I get it. But, I hate the whole "I'm the smartest person in the room" attitude that we're seeing. Rivera is no Bellichek and the fact that they've replaced the quarterbacks on this team with nothing more than stop gaps, rather than being serious about getting things done, is what annoys me even further. Why, for the love of God, will they not be serious and address the quarterback position? Instead, we're seeing them rely on a 39 year old who has been benched EVERYWHERE he's played, a 27 year old who had one good game and all of a sudden he's the second coming and then the 25 year old who's had multiple years in the same offensive system and we hear "well, we could have won with him too." And that doesn't include Steven Montez, who is also a waste of a roster spot at this time. And that's the thing - it's going to be the same thing next year. We'll be in the same spot and names will come up and it will be "oh we can't trade for this guy because he sucks" or "we can't trade for this guy because he'll cost too much" or "we can't go after this guy because he doesn't fit the offensive system we want to use" and instead, we'll be stuck with some retread behind center and we'll hear the same shtick all over again. The WFT made a huge jump this year. I'll give him that. However, I've seen this mediocrity play out. I'm a Flyers fan and I've seen it with mediocre goaltenders. You can have a championship club, but if the most important position on your team is treated like anyone off the street can play there and you have a chance of winning, you squander everything else. Ryan Fitzpatrick is not a championship caliber quarterback. Taylor Heinicke is not a championship caliber quarterback. Kyle Allen is not a championship caliber quarterback. Steven Montez is barely a practice roster quarterback. They need someone legitimate and while they might have been in on Stafford, it's also worth pointing out that Stafford is in his 30s, has a ton of miles on his body and is a legitimately banged up guy. That's what's scary about this club - they'll chase after the beaten up and broken down, but they won't take a chance on someone who needs a chance. Darnold could have been that guy. Now watch him go to Carolina and light it up under Ruhle and Brady.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad