OT: Washington Football Team 2021 Offseason Thread 1: New Year, New GM, New Name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
@WetHog I get being tired of overpriced FAs but this isn't an over-the-hill Deion Sanders or signing Albert Haynesworth to a system he's never played in. This is a 25 year old star QB. A legitimate star at the most important position in sports. It's so different I can't understand why you're comparing the situations. Would you not trade a few first round picks to not have to worry about the QB position again for the next 10-12 years? To be a legitimate Super Bowl contender next year?

Sep 19, 2008
@WetHog I get being tired of overpriced FAs but this isn't an over-the-hill Deion Sanders or signing Albert Haynesworth to a system he's never played in. This is a 25 year old star QB. A legitimate star at the most important position in sports. It's so different I can't understand why you're comparing the situations. Would you not trade a few first round picks to not have to worry about the QB position again for the next 10-12 years? To be a legitimate Super Bowl contender next year?
it's literally haynesworth / RG3 / Dana Stubblefield / Deion Sanders / any Snyder "high profile flashy signing / trade" all over again. I don't know how people don't see this. Trading for Watson especially when this team doesn't have the assets NYJ or MIA has is just foolish IMO. I would rather we build an organization and winning culture organically. That being said I also understand your point that Watson is good. No one denies that. The issue is the price tag and how it might cripple this franchise in the future.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
People are too shell shocked by RG3 plus the last 30 years to see the upside in the proper light IMO.

QB is THE most important position. Your “foundation” simply means years of mediocrity without a true field general.

I think the foundation is just fine to take on Watson and instantly be a playoff contender, not just a playoff qualifier.

Anyway I’m not in the must trade for Watson camp, but I do want a healthy and capable upgraded starter next year not named Smith.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
it's literally haynesworth / RG3 / Dana Stubblefield / Deion Sanders / any Snyder "high profile flashy signing / trade" all over again. I don't know how people don't see this. Trading for Watson especially when this team doesn't have the assets NYJ or MIA has is just foolish IMO. I would rather we build an organization and winning culture organically. That being said I also understand your point that Watson is good. No one denies that. The issue is the price tag and how it might cripple this franchise in the future.

is that what you’re seeing, that a Watson trade is all show and flash and no substance? Watson is better than good. This is paying high for a phenomenal product.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Watson is absolutely worth Payne, 2 1sts, and multiple picks.

I might prefer Stafford for a fraction of that price, however.

You need a stud QB, unless your goal is to go 8-8 flex like a moron that you won the division while other franchises bring home Super Bowl trophies.

Reactions: Ridley Simon
Sep 19, 2008
is that what you’re seeing, that a Watson trade is all show and flash and no substance? Watson is better than good. This is paying high for a phenomenal product.
The problem is that his contract is so big that it may impair the WFT ability to get a WR to complement Terry in FA (strong market this year) or retain talent (i.e. Scherff)

As said in last thread if you can manipulate the cap to keep Watson, Scheff and a new WR in FA I'm fine

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The problem is that his contract is so big that it may impair the WFT ability to get a WR to complement Terry in FA (strong market this year) or retain talent (i.e. Scherff)

As said in last thread if you can manipulate the cap to keep Watson, Scheff and a new WR in FA I'm fine

Or maybe those guys realize “hey we just acquired a star, maybe I’ll take a little friendlier deal to be part of something great”?

I’m in no way deterred by possible cap issues, just the up front cost.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009

How many is a few? I’ve read three firsts and some change. The change being later round picks and one of the D-lineman. To much for me considering all the holes the team still has. Two firsts and Allen? Sure.

But it’s more than just the picks with this team. With how Watson is asserting his will on Houston the Snyder angle is a huge factor as well. I’m not inclined to go threw another Snyder teaming up with his buddy star quarterback to undermine the coach again. Are you?

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I want nothing to do with Watson. Great player, but the cost to acquire him is ridiculous, especially when there are so many holes in this lineup to fill AND with a lowered salary cap. That kind of move can cripple a franchise. And honestly, if Miami makes the deal for Watson and Tagovailoa is the piece moved along with the two firsts, then I'd see what the cost of Tua would be. I'd expect the cost would be a day 2 pick and that might be easier to swallow.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
How many is a few? I’ve read three firsts and some change. The change being later round picks and one of the D-lineman. To much for me considering all the holes the team still has. Two firsts and Allen? Sure.

But it’s more than just the picks with this team. With how Watson is asserting his will on Houston the Snyder angle is a huge factor as well. I’m not inclined to go threw another Snyder teaming up with his buddy star quarterback to undermine the coach again. Are you?
Snyder's gonna Snyder. I'm not going to not find a franchise QB because I'm afraid of Snyder being buddy-buddy with him.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Stafford might be a gamer, but that back is worrisome. Say what you want, but when you consider he's played with broken bones in his back and that you know the back issues will always be in the back of your mind, it might be best to move on.

Seriously, at this point might as well stay the course and draft a quarterback (scouting reports about Trask are becoming more and more favorable and might not be a bad investment in round 2) and then sign a free agent (I doubt they sign a guy like Trubisky, but there's history with Newton and Ron's big on nepotism and bringing in the ex-Panthers, so why not Newton). Kyle Allen isn't the answer, Alex Smith is probably done with that bad leg and Heinicke is a flash in the pan. WFT shouldn't gut the team and give up a ton of futures for a guy like Watson or Stafford. And you know Detroit will be looking for at least a first for Stafford, bad back and all.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
I don’t see RR trading multiple years of draft picks for Watson. Snyder sure but not RR. I suppose this will be a true test to the RR/Snyder dynamic in DC.

Reactions: ynotcaps and g00n

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I don’t see RR trading multiple years of draft picks for Watson. Snyder sure but not RR. I suppose this will be a true test to the RR/Snyder dynamic in DC.

Especially if RR is putting the band back together and can convince Snyder that Newton is another 85% version of Watson at a fraction of the cost, which allows them to add more pieces around him. Which, if I had to bet, is at least Plan B behind "draft a stud if one falls".

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Everyone says that RR prefers mobile QBs, or at least non-statueque ones. I dont know if that's really true or not, but Stafford is pretty statuesque.

Reactions: ynotcaps

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

which is why RR solidifying the front office with his guy makes that harder to do IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad