Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Washington Capitals Trade for Elite Defenseman

AP - Washington, DC
Washington Post

Today at 4:40 PM Washington Capitals General Manager Josh Howell announced a press conference to discuss a recent trade that was made that was said to be "substantial", prior to an important stretch of games that will decide the season for Washington.

"I think a lot of you guys thought we were kidding when we came in here at the start of the season and said we were really going to make a push for the post season in our very first season", said Howell.

To this point, Washington has used an immense amount of reserve money and salary cap room to bring in some high powered producers to a team that hasn't been in contention in some time.

"The last GM was under orders to really try to make money at whatever means possible. That approach brought about a lot of apathy in the fanbase and it actually cost us money in the long run. With a new ownership in place we have been given the reigns to go out and pick up some of these quality names. Your Marty Turco, Rod Brind'Amour, Martin St. Louis, Vaclav Prospal, and now..... Ed Jovanovski to really round out the group".

Jovanovski, 32, has 3 years left on his contract after this season at a $6.45 million cap hit. This considerable number for an Islanders franchise that sits near the bottom of the standings wasn't exactly a contract they were uncomfortable moving.

With only 25 points in 45 games this season, Jovanovski has not been the defenseman that the Islanders had hoped for after being plucked from the Penguins after a season that saw him throw 160 hits and 240 penalty minutes to go along with 35 points in 69 games and a +15 rating. Jovanovski scored 69 points with a +50 rating with the 05-06 powerhouse San Jose Sharks. Washington is hopeful that he can return to that form.

"If you look at the team we have and the players that he's going to get the chance to play with, there is no reason to not think he's going to be able to jump right in and dominate in both ends of the ice. He's a star defender being paid a star salary and we expect star level play from him. I've talked to Ed about it and he knows we're going to need more from him than he has been giving on the Island. He's an elite skill guy and we need that to translate into dynamic play for us".

In the trade, Washington gives up talented youngster and grandson of the legendary Soviet coach by the same name, Viktor Tihkanov.

"We weren't happy about having to give up that piece in particular, but when you have a star defenseman out there on the block you have to come strong because you're competing with a lot of other teams out there that could use him. We were fortunate to get another piece back in Jamie McBain that is going to help us in the future with any luck. We think we balanced the immediate and the future pretty well in this trade".

Washington also sheds $1.75 million in salary in the form of Tyler Arnason who struggled to find a role in Washington. He'll no doubt be in better position to score and generate some interest in New York. A draft selection was also included from Washington.

"We have a lot invested in this season", says Howell.

"We're going to have to prove that we've made smart investments. That reflects in the group we're able to put out".

Howell was also quick to point out that this was not a rental situation, despite the timing of the deal.

"We were lucky because this player came up and he still has a number of years on his contract. With Drew Doughty coming up through the ranks and likely to be on the team next season, we really needed an elite defenseman to help work him through and show him how to really be a consummate professional. We expect Ed to play out his contract here and play it well".

Last edited:

Dryden

Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
strangely enough your trading style reminds me of the previous GM when he had an interest in the HFNHL

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
I have no idea if that's a good thing or a bad thing, so i'll just say thanks anyways! Heh.

It's a... thing.

The challenge with the approach you're taking is that in a couple of years, the team has no assets left, and no future assets for several years. So expect a long, difficult dry spell going forward. (Just ask Phoenix, or Florida, or Toronto -- all teams that went through a long, difficult rebuilding process).

Sometime during the previous Washington GM's long, dificult dry spell, his real life got busy and, with nothing in particular to hope for with his team, he lost interest.

Hope you're made of sterner stuff!

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
It's a... thing.

The challenge with the approach you're taking is that in a couple of years, the team has no assets left, and no future assets for several years. So expect a long, difficult dry spell going forward. (Just ask Phoenix, or Florida, or Toronto -- all teams that went through a long, difficult rebuilding process).

Sometime during the previous Washington GM's long, dificult dry spell, his real life got busy and, with nothing in particular to hope for with his team, he lost interest.

Hope you're made of sterner stuff!

Exactly... and not to say it's a bad approach. Rebuilding can be a fun project in this league if you're willing to put in the time and effort.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Well the thing about this trade and many other trades that i've made is that i've tried to use the salary cap to my advantage. There are a number of prospects that have been off the table like Drew Doughty and others. I still have my first round pick for the upcoming draft and several other future assets. I just think if you can pick up veteran players at the 32-35 range that people undervalue them a great deal and you can usually pick them up for pretty cheap when they still have a full contract full of usefulness in most cases.

Plus, I wouldn't discount Jamie McBain's inclusion in this deal. McBain is likely to be a Hobey Hat Trick finalist as a defenseman.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
You got McBain in the deal? I didn't notice that. He's the real thing.

Yes sir. Final deal was this:

To Washington:
D Ed Jovanovski
D Jamie McBain

To NY Islanders:
F Vihktor Tikhanov
F Tyler Arnason
Capitals 2010 4th

I was willing to do Tikhanov for Jovanovski, but the salary made Jovo worth a significant amount less than his attributes so I decided to dump Arnason, include a 4th rounder, and take a stab at McBain whose HF rating hasn't exactly caught up to his real potential to be a top pairing defenseman.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Also, how long does it take for trades to go through?

Jovo is tearing it up for the Islanders and with his durability issues it makes me nervous to have him playing games for another team after being traded for by me. It has been two sims since I traded for him and he's still not on my roster!

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Also, how long does it take for trades to go through?

Jovo is tearing it up for the Islanders and with his durability issues it makes me nervous to have him playing games for another team after being traded for by me. It has been two sims since I traded for him and he's still not on my roster!

Josh, try contacting Matt (Sim Manager Matt) or leaving a note in your yahoo file. Sometimes these trade confirmations slip through the cracks of cyberspace.

Plus Kershaw is too busy trying to be all Hollywood lately, so he probably just didn't read his email well enough:sarcasm::D

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Josh, try contacting Matt (Sim Manager Matt) or leaving a note in your yahoo file. Sometimes these trade confirmations slip through the cracks of cyberspace.

Plus Kershaw is too busy trying to be all Hollywood lately, so he probably just didn't read his email well enough:sarcasm::D

I was just avoiding doing it since I wanted Jovo and couldn't afford it. Kidding. Seriously this is my error. I just missed it in my email (which has been flooded with trades and trade offers.) Sorry guys... will do it asap. If you want those players included in your lines for tonights games just sent me an email or txt in the yahoo! groups and I'll make the changes.

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007
The challenge with the approach you're taking is that in a couple of years, the team has no assets left, and no future assets for several years.

Says the guy who jumped on Josh quickly and traded for 80% of the few prospects on that team Douglas?

Honestly it's a refreshing change to have a new GM who's priority is competing instead of ... well you know where I was going.

BTW: Please don't let anyone think that was a shot at them (except Douglas) ... a global observation over many years in the league

Last edited:

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Yes sir. Final deal was this:

To Washington:
D Ed Jovanovski
D Jamie McBain

To NY Islanders:
F Vihktor Tikhanov
F Tyler Arnason
Capitals 2010 4th

I was willing to do Tikhanov for Jovanovski, but the salary made Jovo worth a significant amount less than his attributes so I decided to dump Arnason, include a 4th rounder, and take a stab at McBain whose HF rating hasn't exactly caught up to his real potential to be a top pairing defenseman.

That's a pretty solid deal. McBain and Tikhonov cancel each other out in my mind, although being a Canes fan you would probably do that flip any day, and while I know a contract like Jovanovski's has some negative value attached to it, it's worthy gamble.

On McBain, I still can not get over how good that Wisconsin blueline is. McBain, McDonough, Smith, Goloubef and Gardiner. For McBain, it's probably been good because it allows him to play his game, he's not responsible for being everything on a blueline like that. Same for all of them. Only BU matches up with that on paper I think.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
On McBain, I still can not get over how good that Wisconsin blueline is. McBain, McDonough, Smith, Goloubef and Gardiner. For McBain, it's probably been good because it allows him to play his game, he's not responsible for being everything on a blueline like that. Same for all of them. Only BU matches up with that on paper I think.

It's crazy good.

Believe me, I've put serious consideration into adding McBain and Goloubef in particular to McDonagh and Smith.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
It's crazy good.

Believe me, I've put serious consideration into adding McBain and Goloubef in particular to McDonagh and Smith.

That's one way to play the odds I guess.

Maybe I should go add Colby Cohen, Kevin Shattenkirk and Matt Gilroy to David Warsofsky. Although somehow I think I'm starting in a slightly weaker position than you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad