GDT: Washington Capitals at Ottawa Senators - 7pm - SN, RDS, NHLN - The Return of the Josh

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
If that was all Washington has to offer, its going to be a lean few years until they can rebuild. I have to assume they were out drinking the night before? They were putrid. A few good shifts... but slow as heck and no depth.

Reactions: DrEasy

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
We won our first four home games last year. Then the wheels came off and we lost seven (?) straight.

Team looks great but it is not time to be taking victory laps.

Its a promising start for sure, but you're absolutely right. The Senators struggled with consistency big time last year and they were terrible on the road. They still have a lot to prove, and they need to stay healthy.

It does feel different with how dominant they've been so far though, and how well they've played defensively. Hard not to get excited.

Reactions: Mingus Dew

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
We won our first four home games last year. Then the wheels came off and we lost seven (?) straight.

Team looks great but it is not time to be taking victory laps.
I suppose, though we went on that losing streak at least in part due to injuries to Norris and Zub. This year, we started hot in spite of not having Norris (until last night) and Pinto.

Our depth makes us far more resilient than last year imo. Having 3 or 4 D that all look like the could play on a top pair (Zub albeit in a complimentary role) and a bottom pair that can step into a bigger role when called upon is a big upgrade over having Zaitsev and Holden taking regular shifts in the lineup.

I was worried about our center depth with Norris and Pinto out, but Greig has surpassed my already high expectations, and now Norris is back and hopefully the Pinto situation is resolved soon.

Meanwhile, Joseph looks like he's back, he's playing with pace and doing the things that earned him his contract, Tarasenko is giving us secondary scoring and Kubalik adds some redundancy and scoring depth.

This isn't last year's team,

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Its a promising start for sure, but you're absolutely right. The Senators struggled with consistency big time last year and they were terrible on the road. They still have a lot to prove, and they need to stay healthy.

It does feel different with how dominant they've been so far though, and how well they've played defensively. Hard not to get excited.

4/6 upcoming games are at home. Red Wings and Sabres will be the best teams we've faced on this home stand by quite a bit.

If we pull off wins against those teams we're talking about a 5-1 start. Taking something like 8 of our first 10 would make me puff my chest out a bit.

Philly and Washington are bad teams. Really bad. Lightning are mediocre and probably not a playoff team any longer.

Until we continue to dominate against good competition we should stay humble.

I suppose, though we went on that losing streak at least in part due to injuries to Norris and Zub. This year, we started hot in spite of not having Norris (until last night) and Pinto.

Our depth makes us far more resilient than last year imo. Having 3 or 4 D that all look like the could play on a top pair (Zub albeit in a complimentary role) and a bottom pair that can step into a bigger role when called upon is a big upgrade over having Zaitsev and Holden taking regular shifts in the lineup.

I was worried about our center depth with Norris and Pinto out, but Greig has surpassed my already high expectations, and now Norris is back and hopefully the Pinto situation is resolved soon.

Meanwhile, Joseph looks like he's back, he's playing with pace and doing the things that earned him his contract, Tarasenko is giving us secondary scoring and Kubalik adds some redundancy and scoring depth.

This isn't last year's team,

I don't disagree but I want to see what happens against Detroit and Buffalo. Both games at home - we should win them.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
If that was all Washington has to offer, its going to be a lean few years until they can rebuild. I have to assume they were out drinking the night before? They were putrid. A few good shifts... but slow as heck and no depth.

The team is on a form of bizarre artificial life support while they collectively try to drag Ovechkin to beating Gretzky's record.

Ovechkin is going to have to raise his game a lot if he's going to get there from what he's shown in a limited sample so far.

Reactions: ColinM

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I'm sorry chabots PP passing wasnt good there

Yea, just terrible. Chychrun has the best shot on the team, arguably, and every pass from Chabot was to his skates. Atrocious.

I think even Sanderson’s strongest supporters have a tendency to underrate him. Only way I have to describe him is as a really special player

I said he was going to be top 5 player in the league a year ago this time. People thought I was crazy

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
I'm not sure what steroid shot they giving Joseph but he was flying yesterday...reminded me of the TB Joseph we all expected

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I still do.

Between Stutzle and Sanderson, that only leaves 3 spots for the Makar, Dahlin, McDavid, Draisaitl, Hughes, MacKinnon's of the world.

Were Keith and Doughty consensus top 5 players in the league? Not really.

Sometime during their best? Yes.

That's what I mean when I say that. There is rarely any player that is top 5 season in season out except if they are generational. Many players flirt with top 5 during their best.

Was LeCavalier top 5 of the last decade? No. Did he have a season whereby he was? For sure. Similar point.

Tragedy

Jan 10, 2013
Regina, SK
- Forsberg had a good game & made some good saves early to give the team confidence
- Sanderson is so much fun to watch him leave guys behind on his rushes, he's sooo good
- so great to see Norris back & immediately gets two goals from his buddy Batherson
- Tarasenko just produces pts, it's what he does
- hope Zub is okay he is quietly having a good start to his yr & nice to see him score tonight, great top 4
- nice to see our defence contributing offensively, Sanderson & Zub score & Chabot gets an assist
- Chabot made a really nice play on the controversial Giroux goal, but they all count
- I like Greig's fiesty play, but hey it's a little too early in his career to piss off Tom Wilson
- remember when some were calling Wilson a 4th line goon in his draft, he's been playing on their top line for a few yrs now
- good on Kastelic to grab Wilson & good on Wilson to go after him after the hit on Sandin
- Hamonic looks perfect in that 3rd pairing role
- finally getting NHL goaltending & it's making a huge difference not letting in soft goals.
His partner though? Eff that guy!

Reactions: DrEasy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
DJ interview on 1200 this am

Reactions: Micklebot

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
4/6 upcoming games are at home. Red Wings and Sabres will be the best teams we've faced on this home stand by quite a bit.

If we pull off wins against those teams we're talking about a 5-1 start. Taking something like 8 of our first 10 would make me puff my chest out a bit.

Philly and Washington are bad teams. Really bad. Lightning are mediocre and probably not a playoff team any longer.

Until we continue to dominate against good competition we should stay humble.

I don't disagree but I want to see what happens against Detroit and Buffalo. Both games at home - we should win them.

Until we start winning meaningful games late in the season to secure a playoff spot, we should stay humble

Good teams lose to bad team all the time throughout the course of the season

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Until we start winning meaningful games late in the season to secure a playoff spot, we should stay humble

Good teams lose to bad team all the time throughout the course of the season
After watching the highlights, I was telling my husband that I was trying to not get too excited about this team and taper my expectations and just see how the season goes.

But it's hard. I feel like their play is different this year. I feel like the back end is just a heck of a lot better and I feel like we actually look dangerous with the puck fairly regularly. Which is a nice change.

Still early, but I'm looking forward to see how they move through the season.

ColinM

Dec 14, 2004
Halifax
The team is on a form of bizarre artificial life support while they collectively try to drag Ovechkin to beating Gretzky's record.

Ovechkin is going to have to raise his game a lot if he's going to get there from what he's shown in a limited sample so far.
At this point this feels like the bigger priority. Who needs the playoffs when the all time leading goal scorer is on your team for their entire career.

JackieDaytona

regular human hockey fan.
Oct 21, 2007
After watching the highlights, I was telling my husband that I was trying to not get too excited about this team and taper my expectations and just see how the season goes.

But it's hard. I feel like their play is different this year. I feel like the back end is just a heck of a lot better and I feel like we actually look dangerous with the puck fairly regularly. Which is a nice change.

Still early, but I'm looking forward to see how they move through the season.
I agree, something just feels different, something’s clicked and they’re moving closer to that potential that we all saw in past years.

Watching this team now, the sense that they’re building something special is palpable. Great time to be a Sens fan!

Reactions: Here I Pageau Again

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I think this team is finally to that point where the talent is just too much not to do well when they're all pulling in the same direction. Goaltending has looked great after that first game. The D is incredible with that top 4, and the forward depth with Norris back and soon Pinto is pretty special.

Its gonna be a fun year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad