Post-Game Talk: Washington Capitals at New York Rangers Game 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Which one was one of the 'Garden's Greatest Moments'? :p:

Mark Messier's retirement should be on there.

Gretzky did surprisingly well here during his Swan song, but I will always remeber him as an Oiler and a King.

The Rangers had many formerly elite players retire in a blue sweater, but only the Messiah really delivered.

I don't need a TV program to tell me that. :p

gardenparty

Oct 21, 2011
Can't say the same, greatest game ive been to was msl game 4 ot winner last year vs mtl. No game would beat that experience except a sc clinching goal

My God, doesn't that OT winner feel like 2 or 3 years ago now? I know Holtby has been playing out of his mind, but I've noticed a significant diminution in MSL's touch around the net YOY. It's like he stared at Medusa or something; at least his hands seem to have turned to stone.

You can't fault Marty's effort. He's even going to the right places. But his timing seems to have really suffered with age. He was half a beat too slow on the Nash feed at the side of the net, and whiffed a couple of times on hard passes that a few years ago he would have buried in the top corner.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Man what happened to msl?! What did he have 6 or 7 goals in playoffs last year? Zero this year so far. Could you imagine if he would have even half that. That could be a difference of getting to another cup final or losing in second round. I mean it was just last year. Seems like he has lost so much in so little time

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I've lost count of how many times I've typed out a post in the main boards, and decided it wasn't worth it and just closed the window :laugh:

That thread is a nightmare.

Oh I've been in that situation few times lately. :laugh:

Xref

Oct 16, 2010
Not an exaggeration. One that led to a huge goal and 4 or 5 others in this series that led to great chances for Washington. We are not talking Yandlesque, but we are not far away.

Ok, you win, CK was terrible last night. Nash was our best. He deserved to be named the player of the game since he was our best player not named Hank. Are we happy now?

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Well yeah, but i'm trying not to focus on those games and just take this last win as a stepping stone toward some momentum. A wake up call to the team we've been watching since early December. We start playing like that, look out.

Oh yea i get your intent but I couldn't help but think about what a miserable let down this series has been pretty much the entire time when I read that lol

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Mark Messier's retirement should be on there.

Gretzky did surprisingly well here during his Swan song, but I will always remeber him as an Oiler and a King.

The Rangers had many formerly elite players retire in a blue sweater, but only the Messiah really delivered.

I don't need a TV program to tell me that. :p
You said it, Reggie! Mess is my number one all time sports hero. :yo:

Edited to add: Mess is followed by my number 2 all time sports hero...Secretariat.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
This is one of my fav videos. Worth watching in HD. The entire garden rising and collective held breath before the goal is amazing.

This is epic. It's even great to watch this and it must have been really something to have been there. It will be forever known as The Mother's Day Game in Ranger lore. Let's hope we can have another Mother's Day special game tomorrow night. Every time I watch this it's funny...someone seems to be cutting onions.

Holocene

Mar 10, 2011
Toms River, NJ
This is epic. It's even great to watch this and it must have been really something to be there. It will be forever known as The Mother's Day Game in Ranger lore. Let's hope we can have another Mother's Day special game tomorrow night. Every time I watch this it's funny...someone seems to be cutting onions.

The game on Mother's Day last year was against the Penguins. Marty scored in that one too though.

BarbaraAlphanse

Went to Stout for the game. Unreal eruption during McD's goal.

Disbelief with Kreider's. Everyone was dejected.

Split up Nash and MSL.

And put Moore back on the 4th line.

Those are my only two improvements for game 6. 1 at a time, boys.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Man what happened to msl?! What did he have 6 or 7 goals in playoffs last year? Zero this year so far. Could you imagine if he would have even half that. That could be a difference of getting to another cup final or losing in second round. I mean it was just last year. Seems like he has lost so much in so little time

I agree.

The fact that it didn't take one extra year for him to hit the wall, we would have been focusing on the next round already.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Went to Stout for the game. Unreal eruption during McD's goal.

Disbelief with Kreider's. Everyone was dejected.

Split up Nash and MSL.

And put Moore back on the 4th line.

Those are my only two improvements for game 6. 1 at a time, boys.

I was looking at what train I could make before Kreider broke through.

And when McD put the nail in the coffin, I jumped to the greatest hight since childhood.

The ending was electrifying and relieving at the same time.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
I don't know if they will take game 6. It's going to be the hardest win for the Rangers in a long time.

But if there is a hero in game 6, the Rangers will take game 7.

The question is who will make Ranger history in DC?

BarbaraAlphanse

I was looking at what train I could make before Kreider broke through.

And when McD put the nail in the coffin, I jumped to the greatest hight since childhood.

The ending was electrifying and relieving at the same time.

My girlfriend said that I was the happiest she has ever seen me when McD scored. I think that is a hyperbole but it is what it is. :rant:

Find a way to win game 6. I hope they come out and put up a 5 spot on Holtby.

I'd really love the lines to be:

Miller-Brass-Nash
Kreider-Step-Fast
Hagelin-Hayes-MSL
Shepp-Moore-Glass

For what it is worth, Glass has been one of our best players the entire playoffs.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
My girlfriend said that I was the happiest she has ever seen me when McD scored. I think that is a hyperbole but it is what it is. :rant:

Find a way to win game 6. I hope they come out and put up a 5 spot on Holtby.

I'd really love the lines to be:

Miller-Brass-Nash
Kreider-Step-Fast
Hagelin-Hayes-MSL
Shepp-Moore-Glass

For what it is worth, Glass has been one of our best players the entire playoffs.

Those should be lines. I know that moving miller up may prove a bit risky defensively but that lineup probably produces a bit more. Not sure if its too late to tinker with lines ? AV prob won't make big changes

BarbaraAlphanse

Those should be lines. I know that moving miller up may prove a bit risky defensively but that lineup probably produces a bit more. Not sure if its too late to tinker with lines ? AV prob won't make big changes

Miller and Nash work incredibly well on the powerplay. And for whatever reason, Nash assumes the front of the net every time Miller is on the ice with him. That's what we need out of Rick.

I think that the two should be together. I'm willing to bet that they end up on the next line and stick together next year.

BarbaraAlphanse

Nash, MSL, Yandle, Boyle, and (besides the goal) McDonagh need to start playing better.

Those are our big time guys, and by and large, their lack of production in the playoffs is what has sunk us to such a hole.

If even 2 of these guys wake up considerably and produce, I'd guess that we can overcome anything.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
It'll be an immense pressure on the Caps next game at home.
I'm positive and look forward to this game.
I think two scenarios might occure.
1. Nash will figure out how to finish properly (It's less pressure on him on the road.)
2. MSL was good to find positioning last game and he was often around the net which is a good sign - he will certainly score if he get the chance on sunday.

Rangers have the advantage in my opinion with a late goal in 3rd period, and OT goal created by Fast, Stepan, and Ryan Mc.

Last edited:

BarbaraAlphanse

It'll be an immense pressure on the Caps next game at home.
I'm positive and look forward to this game.
I think two scenarios might occure.
1. Nash will figure out how to finish properly.
2. MSL was good to find positioning last game and he was often around the net which is a good sign - he will certainly score if he get the chance on sunday.

I think Rangers may have found out how to beat this Capitals defensive system. Push up on the circles, pass pack for quick one time slap shot while crowding the front of the net. Both goals came like this.

I don't want another OT game where it is a 50/50 chance of survival. Come out. Bury 3, 4, 5 goals against Holtby.

Make the Caps rethink their strategy and create doubt in everyone one of their players' minds, especially Holtby's.

And for the love of god, separate Nash and MSL and swap Miller and Moore somewhere in the top 9. Sheesh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad