Was it Worth it?

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Ranger fan here. I'm not sure how your cap situation is, but I know you guys lost a lot of players after winning the Cup. I'm wondering you guys think it was worth it?

The reason I ask is because now this damn cap recapture **** could screw with the Rangers because of Richards' contract and I wonder if we win the Cup within the next two years, if the cap trouble we could possibly have is worth winning the Cup.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Ranger fan here. I'm not sure how your cap situation is, but I know you guys lost a lot of players after winning the Cup. I'm wondering you guys think it was worth it?

The reason I ask is because now this damn cap recapture **** could screw with the Rangers because of Richards' contract and I wonder if we win the Cup within the next two years, if the cap trouble we could possibly have is worth winning the Cup.

yeah, easily worth it. try to get the cup.

we ended up worse off after having to cut ppl post-cup - but it's not like we suddenly became a draft lottery team.

keep in mind after we had to "shed" - we still kept toews, hossa, sharp, kane, keith, seabrook.

the rangers aren't so dissimilar - even if you go for it and then have to cut - you're not going to cut the entirety of your core...it's not like the Rags are suddenly going to try to buy out Lundqvist. Richards will be hard to dump. also, nash is there to stay. I've read your board enough to know ppl whine over Gaborik - but if he's valuable your team will keep him. You've got a good prospect pool (esp. considering you've drafted late recently).

even if you go for broke and then have to toss ppl overboard - you'll still likely maintain a solid core - and you're a wealthy team...so insofar as you have space, dolan seems fine to spend, no?

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I got to see my favorite team in the world win a championship. No matter the consequences, it's 100% worth it.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
If the Hawks had won the Cup once or twice in the last 10-15 years before the 2009/10 Cup win, ala Det or NJ ... then maybe a case could be made that getting into salary cap hell and losing so many depth players wasn't worth it ... maybe. But, it had been 49 years since the last time the Hawks won the Cup - in 1961, when most of Hawk fandom weren't even born yet - so YES YES YES - it was worth it.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Cup > no Cup

don't forget that we are still a PO team and have the chance to win with the players we have on our roster

MadhouseOnMadison

Man crush on Amonte
Oct 15, 2010
It's actually because of the Cup win that we were gutted so badly. Kane and Toews performing well enough to hit their bonuses and all of the guys who expected big raises after bringing a Cup home really hurt our chances at keeping more of our top guys. We probably could've kept at least one of Ladd, Buff or Versteeg had we lost.

With that said, was it worth it? Hell yes.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Absolutely. Dale Tallon is always welcome back as far as I'm concerned. He can come and get us cap hell again if it brings back another Stanley Cup. Thanks Dale!!

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I wish we could have mitigated the damage a little better but still, watching that team go through 4 rounds isn't something I would trade, no way. I wish I wasn't working so much back then though, kinda took something away from it for me. I really want to see the Hawks do it again when I'm not all over the place.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
I wish we could have mitigated the damage a little better but still, watching that team go through 4 rounds isn't something I would trade, no way. I wish I wasn't working so much back then though, kinda took something away from it for me. I really want to see the Hawks do it again when I'm not all over the place.

Funny you mention work. I was laid off from my job in the middle of the SCF. I remember it happening right as the Hawks lost games 3 & 4. I was like great, what else will go wrong now?

The Hawks did win the next 2 games of course, and I quickly found a different job that pays about 35 grand a year more than I made before... so it was the best thing that ever happened to me. Sometimes losing your job can be a good thing :laugh:

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Yeah, I was working double shifts of afternoons and midnights throughout the whole playoffs. When I would be lucky to have a day off (or shift off) with a game, I'd go to it or watch on TV. The worst was leaving for work after the 2nd period of a great game. When we got to the finals, I was scheduled every game except one but I had good attendance so I pretty much put myself in deep trouble for a long time calling off to see those games. It's long over now but I wasn't going to sit at work for the whole finals while I had tickets and had already missed most of the first 3 rounds. I DVRed them but no matter what I would do, someone would tell me the score because they knew how much I loved the Hawks.

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
One of the best moments of my life. Incredible feeling. So worth it. You can make yoursf happy by just thinking of your Cup year.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Alright, thanks guys.

Obviously I want the Rangers to win the Cup. Even though they lost the ECF last year, I never had more fun watching hockey. And obviously since I don't know what winning the Cup feels like, I wouldn't know if it's worth it, but it probably is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad